Ar610 pinouts

Ack

I bought a DX6e transmitter with an AR610 receiver.

For some dumb reason, I cannot find out what the polarity is for the servo connections. The receiver case does not indicate which pin is ground so I am concerned as to how to plug the servos into the receiver.

Anyone have a tip on where to find this information in the manual?

Not wishing to blow up my first REAL RC electronics system, I remain,

Ack

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
It's actually printed on the case, but it's extremely tiny.
IMG_0800.JPG

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Yeah it's pretty bad... They should emboss it on the side or something, I don't think it's even in the manual. On the bright side if you plug it in backwards it just won't work, you won't blow anything up because the + is the middle pin.

Bricks

Master member
On MOST receivers the signal aka white, yellow wire goes on the top pin farthest from the receiver board.

Ack

Ok, another dumb question about the AR610 receiver...

For some reason ( how about "I plugged the Rudder servo in backwards then powered everything up...") I cannot get the rudder servo to respond to transmitter commands.

I reversed the rudder servo plug. When I powered up again, there is an amber LED glowing inside the receiver case and the rudder continues not to respond.

I then switched the rudder servo and the elevator servos. When powered up, the rudder servo worked with the elevator connection on the receiver but the elevator servo did not respond to any rudder servo commands. This indicates to me that the servos are functional. No noise all all when sending inputs to the servo from the rudder port.

At this point, I believe that I may have fried the rudder port on the receiver.

Is this the case, or is there some sort of reset that I can do to "heal" the receiver? Or am I ordering a replacement AR610 receiver as part of a lesson learned?

The DX6e Transmitter is set up for 3-channel (throttle/elevator/rudder) operation.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Ok, another dumb question about the AR610 receiver...

For some reason ( how about "I plugged the Rudder servo in backwards then powered everything up...") I cannot get the rudder servo to respond to transmitter commands.

I reversed the rudder servo plug. When I powered up again, there is an amber LED glowing inside the receiver case and the rudder continues not to respond.

I then switched the rudder servo and the elevator servos. When powered up, the rudder servo worked with the elevator connection on the receiver but the elevator servo did not respond to any rudder servo commands. This indicates to me that the servos are functional. No noise all all when sending inputs to the servo from the rudder port.

At this point, I believe that I may have fried the rudder port on the receiver.

Is this the case, or is there some sort of reset that I can do to "heal" the receiver? Or am I ordering a replacement AR610 receiver as part of a lesson learned?

The DX6e Transmitter is set up for 3-channel (throttle/elevator/rudder) operation.
Well, if you have an AR610, which means it’s a 6 channel receiver. Since you’re using only 3 channels, you can simply use another channel and remap it to the rudder channel in the radio. For example, you could hook up the aileron channel and set it as the rudder, or gear/Aux1 channel, and tell the radio it’s the rudder.

It would be in the Channel Assign, under System Setup; just make sure you inhibit the rudder and mark Gear or Aux1 as your rudder.

That said, your receiver may not be fried. Try deleting that model that you created for your new plane, and recreate it, then try re-binding the receiver. It’s rare that one channel will die completely, and the others work. It might just need to be reset and re-bound to the transmitter.

jajefan

Since you mentioned that you’re running a 3ch setup, you want to plug your rudder servo into the aileron port on your receiver, not your rudder channel! Normally, you’d have to move the left stick to get rudder input and right stick to get aileron, but since there’s only 3ch, you’d want both horizontal and vertical axis on one stick.

I’d recommend checking if you were actually moving the rudder stick (the one that has throttle on it) when u plugged in the servo to the rudder port, and not actually trying to just move the aileron sticks when nothing was plugged in to the aileron port! May seem obvious and dumb, but ya never know!

Ack

Since you mentioned that you’re running a 3ch setup, you want to plug your rudder servo into the aileron port on your receiver, not your rudder channel! Normally, you’d have to move the left stick to get rudder input and right stick to get aileron, but since there’s only 3ch, you’d want both horizontal and vertical axis on one stick.

I’d recommend checking if you were actually moving the rudder stick (the one that has throttle on it) when u plugged in the servo to the rudder port, and not actually trying to just move the aileron sticks when nothing was plugged in to the aileron port! May seem obvious and dumb, but ya never know!

Thanks for that tip! I discovered that I had rudder control on the left stick with the rudder servo plugged into the rudder socket. Your suggestion will probably fix that.

At this point, however, I have everything goofed up in my configuration. How do I reset the Spektrum transmitter to the factory configuration so I can start over?

jajefan

Thanks for that tip! I discovered that I had rudder control on the left stick with the rudder servo plugged into the rudder socket. Your suggestion will probably fix that.

At this point, however, I have everything goofed up in my configuration. How do I reset the Spektrum transmitter to the factory configuration so I can start over?

I won't be home till Aug 1 (vacation), but I'd recommend looking up how to do a profile reset or something, if i remember correctly.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
For the DX6e, under system setup there is a model reset menu item that will do the trick.

DamoRC

Ack

For the DX6e, under system setup there is a model reset menu item that will do the trick.

DamoRC

I have tried that. Doing so does not stop the transmitter from initializing with the throttle on the right-hand joystick when I try to bind the transmitter to the receiver. Even if I try to hold the right joystick lever in throttle-off position, the bind does not "Take" resulting in the throttle control to to move to the left stick after successful binding - which I have not been able to do.

Should I try to do the reset that you have described with both the transmitter and receiver "bound" (if possible) as described above to reset both to factory settings?

My current choices here are to get with another local DX6e owner, try a local dealer of try to contact Spektrum USA for help. I am in the Metro Kansas City Missouri area.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I have tried that. Doing so does not stop the transmitter from initializing with the throttle on the right-hand joystick when I try to bind the transmitter to the receiver. Even if I try to hold the right joystick lever in throttle-off position, the bind does not "Take" resulting in the throttle control to to move to the left stick after successful binding - which I have not been able to do.

So to be clear, when you bind your transmitter to the receiver, the right stick now controls the throttle - like a Mode 1 radio? You have it connected to a motor that confirms this (although the ESC should be producing a warning tone in your motor if you power up and the stick controlling the throttle is not all the way to zero).

Lets confirm that you have the connected the channels as follows:
(1) Your ESC (throttle) is connected to the THRO channel on the Receiver
(2) Your Elevator Servo is connected to ELEV
(3) Your Rudder Servo is connected to AILE

I read that the DX6E can be set to different Modes using a switch at the back of the radio (Manual Page 42) can you confirm that that switch is set to "Mode 2,4"

DamoRC

Andrew

G'day Mate
Ack, do you know what mode your transmitter is in (1or 2) ?
After reading your last post at lest ten times, it's hard to tell, it almost like your trying to change the mode when binding, it doesn't work like that, you have to do it in the menu. But also seems like you have the mode is set to a particular mode in the menu but the gimbal spring set to the other?

Edit: maybe I read it more ten times, or I'm just very slow (lol) DamoRC beat to it by a long shot while I was typing (lol)

Last edited:

Ack

Ack, do you know what mode your transmitter is in (1or 2) ?
After reading your last post at lest ten times, it's hard to tell, it almost like your trying to change the mode when binding, it doesn't work like that, you have to do it in the menu. But also seems like you have the mode is set to a particular mode in the menu but the gimbal spring set to the other?

Edit: maybe I read it more ten times, or I'm just very slow (lol) DamoRC beat to it by a long shot while I was typing (lol)

Andrew, DamoRC:

The switch under the protective cover on the back of the unit - set at the factory and undisturbed by me - is set to 2/4.

At one point early on, I was able to, with the receiver servo plugs set as DamoRC suggested, control throttle with the left up/dowm joystick, rudder with the left right/left joystick and elevator with the right up/down joystick. It was at this point, when trying to move the rudder to the right joystick by plugging into the aileron reciever plug, that everything went to "Heck in a handbag".

At that point, the joystick positions flip-flopped. When ever I try to bind, I get a"throttle not set to zero" alarm. Zeroing the right joystick (previously the elevator control) causes binding to continue with the result that there is no control over any surface along with no throttle control, either.

I have tried a number of resets to no avail. the problem persists. All batteries are fresh and recharged.

My next step is to contact Spektrum. The flowchart process in the manual is VERY hard to follow and the typeface is incredibly small and hard to read (see previous posts)..

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
To confirm, when you get the "throttle not set to zero", this warning is coming from the transmitter and not the ESC / Motor (in the form of beeps)?

This is a real Gordian Knot!

DamoRC

Ack

To confirm, when you get the "throttle not set to zero", this warning is coming from the transmitter and not the ESC / Motor (in the form of beeps)?

This is a real Gordian Knot!

DamoRC
in the words of Professor Farnworth, Good News Everyone!

I went over to the local RC field at Lake Jacomo and visited with some of the old hands there. The discussion revealed that the transmitter Mode (the source of the warning) can be set in both hardware AND software! Oops...

That, coupled with a bad case of "not holding my mouth just right", has led me to a visit with the Gurus (you are, indeed Gurus- but they are in corporial form) tomorrow afternoon.

Who knows, maybe the Explorer will finally get it's maiden and I will start building my own flight time...

Yes. I know: Pics or it didn't happen.;)