ArduPilotMega

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
I live in a deserted area with NO neighbors! No one to spy or spy on. It is GREAT!

I would like to spy on local game populations and my cattle though.

Thurmond

UndCon

UndCon
I have Ardupilot connected to my FRSKY D8R-II

I have it set up for my Skywalker and will do a transplant during the winter.
I have already programmed my modded 9X radio (Er9X) with a setup similar to my Spektrum but I will have to change this a bit as the Ardupilot has different setup.

The ardupilot board along with the oilpan imu is very cool.

//UndCon

Tritium

I have a Hawk Sky I want to install one on but it will probably be next spring before I get all the bits and pieces collected for the autopilot and FPV gear. I can get a few pieces at a time and fly under the "local radar" so to speak as far as expenditures go (wink wink, nod nod, say no more).

What options do you have on ArduPilot?

Thurmond

UndCon

UndCon
I have this route programmed atm

apm_planner.png

Roundtrip from rcfield (home) is about 1km and makes for a good visible test.
I plan to fly in South east direction (away from planned route) and then engage "auto" and if it works the plane should turn around and start follow the waypoints, circling 1 revolution at each waypoint to make it clear goal is reached.

My modes available:

Manual
Stabilize
Auto
FBW-A
Loiter
Manual (failsafe)

Modes are explained here

As you can see on the image (and on many of my videos) I fly mostly over fields. I would love to check crops if possible for the local farmer we rent the land from.

Last edited:

Tritium

You're missing the point of RC. JK LOL

This device is RC Evolution in motion! Manual mode is still available. According to the Wicki, Beginner landings in "stabilize" are picture perfect.

I have read about 90% of the Wicki now. I have collected all the Software / Firmware / Ground station Software now. I also have x-plane and tying it into that program looks like fun as well.

Thurmond

Last edited:

PaulT

Mentor
Once I have mastered FPV then this is where my baby steps in rc is going to take me. Under $300.00 and open firmware!!!
WOW. If you went autonomous with a FPV unit attached, would it then not be possible to "eventually" take off , fly, record and land from the comfort of your lazyboy while watching episodes of
flitetest on the tele?
Sounds like a challenge to the lads to me!!!!!!
I dare you flitetest!!
No, I double dog dare you....

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Once I have mastered FPV then this is where my baby steps in rc is going to take me. Under $300.00 and open firmware!!!
WOW. If you went autonomous with a FPV unit attached, would it then not be possible to "eventually" take off , fly, record and land from the comfort of your lazyboy while watching episodes of
flitetest on the tele?
Sounds like a challenge to the lads to me!!!!!!
I dare you flitetest!!
No, I double dog dare you....

Oh my god YES!!! That would be awesome! That is a hell of a challenge and the thing about it is that it seems to be doable!!

Illiop

Big Daddies
Cool, I wont have to land when I need to make a beer run. Seriously though, this is really neat. I can see this being used in many applications. banner advertisements along a pre-programmed route!

Tritium

I just took the plunge and ordered one since APM2 is now available on PreOrder. All new boards, smaller and highly integrated. Best of all $200 for the entire setup including Gyro's, Accelerometer, GPS, Pressure sensor for accurate altitude, USB interface and micro SD (no x-bee modules included though).

http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/apm-2-0-release

Thurmond

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That seems to do everything, does it have a built in OSD?

Ah, looks like no OSD but it seems it will integrate with an existing OSD. I would primarily want it just for the return to home failsafe.

Last edited:

UndCon

UndCon
I might do that but I am not qualified ;)

My experiences are restricted to desk only with the oilpan...my ideas are to install it into my SKywalker for UAV flights (preprogrammed route) but in order to use my TGY 9X and FRSY with PPM I need the 2.0 (or modify 1.0)

//UndCon