Are brushed motors waterproof?

I know that brushless motors can, but can brushed dc motors run underwater for extended periods of time? The motors I have don't have any sensors or any extra electronics. If they are not waterproof, is there anything I can do to waterproof them?

PoorManRC

Master member
Brushed Motors are even SAFER under water than Brushless!! Some Old Farts even break their Brushes in by running the Motor IN a glass of water!

One IMPORTANT distinction with Brushless....
Nearly ALL RC Aircraft Motors are Sensorless.
SENSORED Brushless Motors are an entirely different story. If they even get more than damp, their internal circuitry will FAIL.
There's even exceptions to that - RC Crawlers often use Sensored Brushless Motors that have been MADE Waterproof....
They often start at about $90-100, and can go as high as $300!!

.... If all you have coming out of your Motor is THREE Wires - then you have a Sensorless Motor.

If you have Three Wires AND a Harness Plug, it's Sensored Brushless, and CAN'T get wet!
Hope this helps. 😉

Piotrsko

Master member
Up to about 15volts, when everything wet starts conducting current, the main failure will be bearings and anything steel. Brush arc is reduced, but the dust mixed with water is abrasive. Positive side note: hard to burn out on over current.

I think some minnkota trolling motors were exposed brushed.

PoorManRC

Master member
Up to about 15volts, when everything wet starts conducting current, the main failure will be bearings and anything steel. Brush arc is reduced, but the dust mixed with water is abrasive. Positive side note: hard to burn out on over current.

I think some minnkota trolling motors were exposed brushed.

This is correct also. The Volt limit is debatable... by many! If you're running 3S Battery (11.1-12.8v) or less, you'll be OK.
Common sense - if you're in murky water, flush the Motor with Clean warm water before putting away!