Are foam board paper hinges durable ???

garyshorto

I'm building a slow flying Flight Test Simple Storch, which has a 57" span and rather long hinge lines. Can I expect the foam board paper to provide an adequate hinge, or should I tape them ? Will they hold up for about at least a year without tape ?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The problems you will experience are the weakening of the paper from the absorption of water, (even atmospheric), over time. This water or moisture weakens the paper where it bonds to the foam as well as at the hinge line. Over time the hinge will fail or the paper will delaminate at the hinge allowing the control surface to flail all over the place.

You can water proof the paper with tape along the top surface of the hinge line and seal the hinge on the cutout side with glue. These help but you will need to check the water proofing for damage or moisture ingress from time to time.

With care the life can be extended for many years!

Just what works for me!

Have fun!

Bricks

Master member
As Hai-Lee stated what I have done also is use braided fishing line cut 1-2 inch slits crossing the hinge line insert the braided fishing line and using thin super glue, glue it in place these hinges hold up for eternity and I still may put a thin strip of tape over the hinge line.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Yes the paper will come off the foam.
I like to cover my planes with packing tape. I hot glue the hinge like in the FT build videos, then I will put packing tape over the glue and run a covering iron down the glue line. This will activate the hot glue and seal it to the tape. I've never had this fail.

Mortis

Just curious if you have a picture of this:

As Hai-Lee stated what I have done also is use braided fishing line cut 1-2 inch slits crossing the hinge line insert the braided fishing line and using thin super glue, glue it in place these hinges hold up for eternity and I still may put a thin strip of tape over the hinge line.

Bricks

Master member
Just curious if you have a picture of this:
Even if I did take a picture the slits are so small they would not be seen I use a razor blade or Exacto knife for the slits just thru the paper into the foam from the top. Because of the way Dollar Tree foam board planes are built with the 45 degree hinge on only one side. On a true hinge line where both sides are 45 degrees then I will cut all the way to where the 45`s meet, to keep the braided line in line with the hinge line.