Are servos always compatible to all receivers??

junwoo0914

Hi, I'm a newbie in this field!!
I am currently planning to make my own scratch-build aircraft.

But, I am going to use a transmitter from 'flysky', so I would have to use a corresponding
'flysky' receiver. But, I'm not sure whether or not this receiver will do the same job as the receiver
that flitetest uses. So my question is,

Are receivers from other company can be used to control any other motors or servos?

It would be great if you can share anything you know about this topic.
I hope to see many replies!!

Thanks for taking your time in my question!!

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Hobby RC is pretty much based around the PWM servo interface so broadly the answer is yes. Any servo you might typically buy will work with the receivers from any RC TX manufacturer. The same PWM interface is used for both Servos and Motor Controllers (ESCs).

There are other servo interfaces, notably sbus, that are available but they are typically only used for large builds where there are multiple servos per control surface and there is a benefit from reducing the amount of wiring necessary. These interfaces are more likely to be brand specific. sbus specific servos are more expensive and less common and less easy to find so you probably have to go out of you way to accidentally buy one.

Note that while multi rotors are still typically based around the PWM servo interface, this is changing since multi rotors do not use many servos and have a flight controller that can process different interfaces. This has created the need for receivers that do no have standard PWM outputs and things like sbus have become more commonly supported as a result. These "serial" interfaces tend to be proprietary to the receivers but commonly supported but the available Flight Controllers.

All current FlySky brand receivers support standard PWM servo channel outputs. If you have one of the newer FlySky i Series that uses the AFHDS 2A protocol then a couple of the receivers also support some other outputs that can be used with Flight Controllers. Note that the older FlySky TXs that use the old AFHDS protocol cannot use these new receivers. The new i-series TXs can use the older receivers but I would not buy those older receivers out of choice. They are only a few $ cheaper.

Last edited: