Are the OrangeRx transmitters any good?

Kam5691

My Spektrum DXe had died on me a couple of days ago and I still do not know why. I changed out the batteries and checked inside the transmitter and it wouldn't turn on, so I figured I needed to replace it because my collection was expanding and I needed the ability to change models and have them saved on my transmitter. I found the OrangeRx T6 and the OrangeRx Tx10i, and I was wondering if anybody had any experience with them and whether they are worth purchasing or not.

The Fopster

Master member
I have one and it's done everything I need. The open TX transmitters have far more features, but for me I don't have time to learn the programming. Orange was simple and cheap, but others will have other views. There are lots of good options out there!

Kam5691

I have one and it's done everything I need. The open TX transmitters have far more features, but for me I don't have time to learn the programming. Orange was simple and cheap, but others will have other views. There are lots of good options out there!
I was in the need of a TX and I think I might just buy this now, thanks!

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I know of people who have used them and like them, but I haven't used them myself. I've had decent luck with their receivers (compatible with my spektrum transmitter) but I have had a few that have glitched and caused a crash. On ebay you should be able to get a used spektrum dx6i for under $100 if you want to go that route.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've not used them, but have heard good thing about the orange lineup.
You might take a look at one of the multi protocol units, like the Jumper or Radio Master.
Both have received great reviews.

Samh

Elite member
I would recommend looking on ebay or rc groups for older DX6I or DX7s. You will get to keep all your receivers and it it will be pretty easy to program. I actually sold my old DX7 for 75$ in perfect condition a while back and that was the highest I have seen them go, so you may have luck

Clapaucius

I got several OrangeRx 615V2 from Amazon, returned them back promptly when they started dropping out and flashing red immediately after bound during ground tests. Different ESC, different transmitters, different frames with different sets of servos - they kept losing the signal, so I had to send them out.

I really did not pay attention to this before, but I also had two of older OrangeRx 620 receivers in Mustang Mini and SimpleStick so I started checking them out after each flight before disconnecting the battery. Sure enough, there were several red flashes on both reliably after each flight. I do not fly aggressively, so I do not even notice most of the cutouts in flight, but no OrangeRx receiver is allowed into my models anymore. Do they deserve this or nit, my confidence in them has been destroyed.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
You get what you pay for with OrangeRX transmitters. They do the job, but they’re CHEAP in every sense of the word.

Clapaucius

You get what you pay for with OrangeRX transmitters. They do the job, but they’re CHEAP in every sense of the word.
LemonRX receivers are just as cheap, but they seem to work better. Of course, this might be just the impression, because they wisely give no indication whatsoever when they lose the contact with the transmitter and recover fast enough not to be caught in the act.

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
LemonRX receivers are just as cheap, but they seem to work better. Of course, this might be just the impression, because they wisely give no indication whatsoever when they lose the contact with the transmitter and recover fast enough not to be caught in the act.

The Lemons actually do if they loose signal the receiver will come down with the red light flashing.

sprzout

Mentor

Receivers and transmitters are two different topics within this discussion, unfortunately. Lemon makes solid receivers, but they don't make standalone transmitters like OrangeRX does. The transmitters are what the OP and I were referring to, and I personally wouldn't buy one because, while it has the functions needed for basic flight, the quality of transmitter function is decidedly less. It's definitely a "you get what you pay for" type of thing...

And I've had similar issues with the OrangeRX receivers, albeit they were the older DSM2 receivers and not the DSMX receivers - quality control with the DSM2 ones was quite lacking.

OliverW

Legendary member
Receivers and transmitters are two different topics within this discussion, unfortunately. Lemon makes solid receivers, but they don't make standalone transmitters like OrangeRX does. The transmitters are what the OP and I were referring to, and I personally wouldn't buy one because, while it has the functions needed for basic flight, the quality of transmitter function is decidedly less. It's definitely a "you get what you pay for" type of thing...

And I've had similar issues with the OrangeRX receivers, albeit they were the older DSM2 receivers and not the DSMX receivers - quality control with the DSM2 ones was quite lacking.
The quality control on the DSMX ones are lacking too. I had a little delta I made and used one in it. I was doing a fast pass and suddenly it went vertical, and then straight down and split in half.. there's a reason I never put orange in stuff I care about LOL

Bricks

Master member
And at our field many are running including me the Orange Gen 2 receivers in gassers, Nitro and have been rock solid, as mentioned the DSM2 receivers could be sketchy. Knock on wood I have not had a problem with either but do prefer the Lemons when I can use them.

sprzout

Mentor
The quality control on the DSMX ones are lacking too. I had a little delta I made and used one in it. I was doing a fast pass and suddenly it went vertical, and then straight down and split in half.. there's a reason I never put orange in stuff I care about LOL

The quality control in the DSMX ones is much better than the DSM2 ones, but it's still lacking to some extent. And because of that, I tend to put them in things like my combat wings. :)

Clapaucius

Yup, sorry. I have no experience with transmitters.

Bricks

Master member
Here we go then. I do no see them blinking back at me pretty much ever.

I need to redo my statement about loss of signal and blinking the blinking is caused by having a brownout that last`s at least 5-10 second then when power is applied it will blink showing the brown out. Until I did some testing that is what I discovered I thought it was coming from loss of signal. If the brown out is very short lived it will not show blinking need to be a few seconds or more.

Kam5691

I've not used them, but have heard good thing about the orange lineup.
You might take a look at one of the multi protocol units, like the Jumper or Radio Master.
Both have received great reviews.
I was looking at the Tx16s by Radiomaster, I really think I should go for one of those because then I could use it with almost anything I would want to. I just want to make sure that I can use it with all of my DSMX receivers and have the ability to toggle the SAFE modes with it for beginners.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
..... I just want to make sure that I can use it with all of my DSMX receivers and have the ability to toggle the SAFE modes with it for beginners.
I don’t have any first hand experience with either the Raidomaster or the SAFE. I believe the SAFE system can be triggered by any 3 position switch programed to the correct channel.