Are there any multirotors have have long flight times ? (longer than 15 minutes)

Stainless

Greetings:

I recently had my first taste of FPV (Redpaws 011); and it was great.

Are there any multi-rotors that can stay up for 15 minutes at a time; or do I have to design and build my own?

Thanks

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
well i know the original ones way back when about 5 years or more ago did have flight times of 10-15 minutes. like the rotor bones series flitetest did. but those you didnt do flips or anything with. you generally get ore efficient the bigger you go as well (thus why the umx vapor flies for less than 5 mins and real airliners fly for 12 hours just fine) so for instance the big metal quad that flitetest built shortly after the giant mini quad could fly for close to an hour. that all comes at a cost, though. first of all, you cant do tricks or anything, just fly, and second, it is very expensive. you are looking at over 1k to just get the flying. batteries are a ton as well.

donalson

my hubsan 501s has a flighttime around 15-20 min depending on the battery... it's rated for 20 min...

the dji phantom 4 is rated for 28 min... variations of the mavic are rated for 30 min.

but seems most mini quads are fairly limited... but they are more "sport" oriented and made for acrobats and/or racing

Stainless

Thanks so much, I will check those out.

I don't want to do tricks - just some low and slow FPV - WITHOUT the obligatory acrobatics that are in ALL of the FPV vidoes that I have seen so far.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
my hubsan 501s has a flighttime around 15-20 min depending on the battery... it's rated for 20 min...

the dji phantom 4 is rated for 28 min... variations of the mavic are rated for 30 min.

but seems most mini quads are fairly limited... but they are more "sport" oriented and made for acrobats and/or racing

the problem with the phantom and hubsan is that they are wicked expensive and just aren't the same fpv experience as something like a racequad.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Thanks so much, I will check those out.

I don't want to do tricks - just some low and slow FPV - WITHOUT the obligatory acrobatics that are in ALL of the FPV vidoes that I have seen so far.

if you dont want to do tricks and want a long flight time and dont want to spend a ton of money then build something like ft did 5, 6, 7 years ago. big and light frame. get around 15 minutes of flight time. low and slow.

do you have any building experience or any rc gear at all like a transmitter or any fpv gear?

Stainless

Daniel:

I have built "rotor like" devices out of 1" and 2" foam.

I have used very basic transmitter and reciever to operate brushless motors.

I am new to FT. Do they have an archive that I could search for the craft you referenced?

Stainless

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
well, you could look on the articles on their main website. im sure they still have the old articles up from years ago. or just go to their channel and use the search box on it to search rotor bones. if you cant find it after a minute then shoot me a message and i will find it for you and send a link.

when you say basic tx and rx do you mean like 4 channels 2.4ghz basic or like... 3 channels 200mhz 20 years old basic?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Building one would be your best bet so you could tailor the gear to suit your needs. Typically milti rotor craft with long flight times are cruisers or unloaded AP ships. Basically for longer flights you want lower KV motors to spin larger props to be able to carry larger heavier batteries. Performance based ships come at the cost of efficiency as they need to stay very light and agile and use high current draw power trains.

Taking the Versacopter mounting plates and using longer carbon booms to carry bigger low kv motors could be a viable place to start for sure. You can configure that into many variations of multi rotor from simple X or H set ups to octos to Vtails in any sizes ~250 mm or larger to be extended time / range ship or cruiser.

Stainless

Thanks for sharing basic concepts of low Kv and such.

So much to learn . . . and so hard to wait for parts to arrive !

skymaster

Elite member
So if lets say i am looking into purchasing a FT VersaCopter, but since i am a beginner in quads witch motors would you recomend. the Emax 2204 2300KV or the Emax MT2213-920KV not into speed. wanna build one nice and slow not in a hurry.
thanks for the info.

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
So if lets say i am looking into purchasing a FT VersaCopter, but since i am a beginner in quads witch motors would you recomend. the Emax 2204 2300KV or the Emax MT2213-920KV not into speed. wanna build one nice and slow not in a hurry.
thanks for the info.

you could do the 2206 2000kv lumenier motors as well for some smooth and chill flyin! That is what we use here at the shop! ;)

Hope this helps my friend!

Blessings,
Stefan

donalson

on the hubsan 501s side... 20 min flight time and $200 ready to fly (controller, battery, charger, fpv screen etc) with a built in FPV camera AND gps... is hard to beat... the gps makes it super easy to fly... I an put it up, put the controls down, and walk away... when the battery gets low it'll even land itself.. but it does have a few other modes including full manual and elevation hold mode.

also has a neat return to home feature... flick the switch and back it'll come and land within inches of where you took it off from... which is neat.

on the phantom side... if you are going for a quality filming rig for a reasonable price I don't think you can recreate this quality AND flight time mix for a similar price... it's easy (at least around me) to find used a phantom 3 or higher with 4k camera, extra battery, and some with a backpack "case" and tablet for $500 or less...

that being said... I like building things so the building idea does interest me... I'd love to start with something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/S500-500-Q...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

you can also find down to 450mm and up to 630mm or so...

on a side note... looking around I couldn't not mention this guy... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hercule...JSYQZ-JKIu-hX1hk5ZEaAhSHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
on the hubsan 501s side... 20 min flight time and $200 ready to fly (controller, battery, charger, fpv screen etc) with a built in FPV camera AND gps... is hard to beat... the gps makes it super easy to fly... I an put it up, put the controls down, and walk away... when the battery gets low it'll even land itself.. but it does have a few other modes including full manual and elevation hold mode.

also has a neat return to home feature... flick the switch and back it'll come and land within inches of where you took it off from... which is neat.

on the phantom side... if you are going for a quality filming rig for a reasonable price I don't think you can recreate this quality AND flight time mix for a similar price... it's easy (at least around me) to find used a phantom 3 or higher with 4k camera, extra battery, and some with a backpack "case" and tablet for $500 or less...

that being said... I like building things so the building idea does interest me... I'd love to start with something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/S500-500-Q...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

you can also find down to 450mm and up to 630mm or so...

on a side note... looking around I couldn't not mention this guy... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hercule...JSYQZ-JKIu-hX1hk5ZEaAhSHEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

that first one looks great. the difficulty is finding a good pdb and fc for it.
the second one would be a lot more expensive but a great build to have gps and such.

donalson

that first one looks great. the difficulty is finding a good pdb and fc for it.
the second one would be a lot more expensive but a great build to have gps and such.

PDB is part of the support structure and included honestly it looks like a very simple build...

also looks like people are using the amp2.5 FC for it... seems to have the GPS and everything else built in (looks like the 2.8 is a good bit newer)

would be a fun build...

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
Should be fairly easy to get 15-20 mins with a 400-600 size build. 10-11 inch props with 800-1000kv motors and a 3s-4s 5000+ mAh battery. If you want to just cruise FPV you could get away with a betaflight board in acro/level mode. If you want to get fancy and take your hands off the sticks at times, you should get something with at least a barometer for altitude hold, and preferably position hold. The best FC for GPS functions is a pixhawk. You can get a pixhawk mini kit for $92 now. You can also make your own frame in the old school flitetest style with wood arms, or you can find pretty cheap f450 style frames out there which are fairly durable.