Are there any subtitute matierials to foamboard?

Donuts

Hi! I going to make my first rc plane soon. Have been doing a loottt of research.

One question... Are there more sustainable materials to create my plane in than foamboard.

Anything reusable or compostable or recyclable?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
A plane made from ordinary cardboard will fly just as well as one made from foam board. The fb plane will have a better finish and look better.

Here is a video which goes into more detail.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
You could look at balsa builds, but I wouldn't start with that.

reusable -> you could do 3D FDM printing - at least some filament can be broken down and turned back into new filament, but again, they aren't a great first plan option, being heavier and less forgiving on a rough landing.

Donuts

You could look at balsa builds, but I wouldn't start with that.

reusable -> you could do 3D FDM printing - at least some filament can be broken down and turned back into new filament, but again, they aren't a great first plan option, being heavier and less forgiving on a rough landing.

Thanks!

Piotrsko

Master member
If you don't crash, land on gravel, fly through fences or light poles, they don't look worn. See @Hai-Lee posts for longevity, or @quorneng for pretty. However for cheap fast build that is disposable, they are perfect. Need pretty? Then you require a different construction. I have balsa stuff that i bet is older than you.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Ive never had a problem with longevity of my foamboard planes. As your flying skills improve the planes will live longer ;)
Foamboard planes survive crashes as well as any construction method for the most part and are very repairable, or just reuse the electonics in the next plane! Also really sucks to crash something you've put a lot of time into like balsa.

b-29er

pink foam and gorilla glue, scale everything up by 200% except the engines, scale those up by at least 800%, and you got somethin.