Are these batteries any use??

smiling albert

Hi
Someone gave me these ,I think they are out of some floor cleaner,.
Rather than just chucking them ,would they be any use in an rc plane?
Thanks for any help
1619443345549.png
1619443379326.png

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
those look like lion batteries. So it depends on their current rating, if it is on the high side for a lion battery, they might be good for a high performance duration build, but they typically have fairly low max current draw (IE the lipos I have have a C rating of 75 but the lion batteries I have have a max current draw of 15A (which would be a C rating of something like 3).

the model numbers stamped on them didn't get my anything in a quick search, so I can't tell the capacity/current rating of those cells. You would need to build them into a pack and put a balance connector/etc on them for charging if you did want to try it out. If you keep it to a build that maxes out around 5A draw, you would likely be ok with most of the cells I have seen when I was looking for ones for a design I am working on.

smiling albert

Wow ,thanks for the speedy reply,like most things FT related I know virtually nothing about these.
Are these lipo types then?
I only fly small planes,24-44 inch wingspan and not at warp factor 9 ,more scale speed warbirds, this lot look like they could send you to the moon!
The photo I posted didnt really show the connections but they are all connected together and there appears to be at least one connector that could be a balance connector but it wont fit my charger!
The 2 green wires appear to have some device joining them together,not sure what that is,LED?
Should I split them up and just check one out first ?
Don't want to connect them to my charger and blow it/ meup until we know what these beasts are!

Thanks
BTW This is my charger
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/accuell...VjbTtCh2BOgBuEAAYASAAEgLeUfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

JasonK

Are these lipo types then?
no, they looks like li-ion packs which are similar [both use lithium], but different [different chemestry and performance characteristics]
I only fly small planes,24-44 inch wingspan and not at warp factor 9 ,more scale speed warbirds, this lot look like they could send you to the moon!
Even small planes can pull out over 5 A of current. on my bench tests, multiple props on an A-pack motor pulled over 8A on 3s (then you have draw from your servos/receivers/etc. on top of that) The H-pack motor was pulling 4.6A on 2s (and you would normally use 2 of them - totaling over 9A possible) on my bench.

that support li-ion packs

Hondo76251

Legendary member
You can build your own "packs" out of batteries like that for sure but its probably not something one should attempt without a little experience with batteries under your belt.

That being said, i learned an awful lot about batteries by blundering into projects like that and learning as i went. You'll want to separate them and solder new connectors on at a minimum. Even if they are high end Li Ion they wont have near the total discharge ability of any comparable sized LiPo so keep that in mind. They can be safely discharged to a lower voltage so they are great for "endurance" flying but not great for all out power to weight.

Here is my 24" converted glider that i built using batteries like that so it can be done:

smiling albert

Hi
Thanks everyone for their input.
There is someone at my work who is more savvy in these matters than me, so will show him this info and ask him tomorrow.
Hate chucking stuff away that could potentially be reused !

leaded50

Legendary member
"High capacity" 18650 batterys 2100mAh rechargeable lithium ion battery suitable for handheld tools and other appliances. This cell provides discharge current up to 4200 mAh ...
check your preferences of use.. 4.2A aint much.

Lots of other 18650 batterys with far better specs (as 30-50A + discharge )

smiling albert

Got another photo of the current wiring and my current connectors to one of my batteries and some relevant blurb from the charger handbook.
Does this mean my charger is not suitable?
Btw what appliances would be good for “harvesting “
Thanks

Attachments

• JPEG image.jpeg
    JPEG image.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 0
  • CB74EE53-3022-4B1D-813A-AEA6A1874173.jpeg
    CB74EE53-3022-4B1D-813A-AEA6A1874173.jpeg
    850.7 KB · Views: 1
  • gebr.aanw.acculader_s60.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Internet is full of articles on people getting 18650's from all sorts of things. The world is your oyster.

As far as those cells, first things first, do you have a good soldering station?

smiling albert

Thanks,not thought of using them in the transmitter,will check the size
Am currently building an me109 which I want to fly at scale speed not Mach 3 so maybe they would do there,as long as they’ve got enough juice to keep it flying
Yes have got soldering equipment at work and hopefully a colleague who knows his onions where batteries,soldering etc is concerned.
Will report back,thanks again for all the advice
BTW on the last photo I sent of the current wiring,do you think the plastic thing at the top of the photo is the balancing connector or the other one with a lot more holes.?
Thanks

Last edited:

leaded50

Legendary member
Thanks,not thought of using them in the transmitter,will check the size
Am currently building an me109 which I want to fly at scale speed not Mach 3 so maybe they would do there,as long as they’ve got enough juice to keep it flying
Yes have got soldering equipment at work and hopefully a colleague who knows his onions where batteries,soldering etc is concerned.
Will report back,thanks again for all the advice
BTW on the last photo I sent of the current wiring,do you think the plastic thing at the top of the photo is the balancing connector or the other one with a lot more holes.?
Thanks
the one with more holes are the balancing connector, but is totally wrong one.
That ME190 cant be big...you dont have much A to use, before power output gets to high.

smiling albert

Reporting back ( been very busy at work)
Checked the voltage on the 18650 S ,approximately 3.5 V for each .
Some questions
1.If I did use them in a plane would it be better to have 2 ,3 or 4 in series?
2.Leaded 50, my 109 is 24.5 inches similar to local fiends
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/mighty-mini-bf-109-swappable-build-thread.24426/

Just wondering what the minimum battery type I could use ?
Remember I want to try and fly it at scale speed not warp factor 9!
Have currently got a set of 2s 300 mah (21 g) and 2s 850 mah (51 g)needing a home if the 18650 ‘S are no good ,see photo.
Thanks for any help

Attachments

• 2A27D4BE-A697-4E1C-9B89-D47F122C21F3.jpeg
    2A27D4BE-A697-4E1C-9B89-D47F122C21F3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Corbarrad

Got another photo of the current wiring and my current connectors to one of my batteries and some relevant blurb from the charger handbook.
Does this mean my charger is not suitable?
Btw what appliances would be good for “harvesting “
Thanks
The 11865 cell is pretty much ubiquitios everywhere in rechargeable appliances.
People for example buy up used laptop batteries to scavenge for cells and build anything from ebike batteries to "solar generators", ie just big power banks.
The color of the cells and manufactorer code stamped on them will help you find the specs of that particular cell.
https://secondlifestorage.com/index.php?threads/lg-lgdame11865-cell-specifications.8332/
is the best I could come up with in a casual search.
The process of building a functional batttery from used cells is rather involved and you might run the risk of a fire so do so at your own risk.

As for use in a model plane these are not ideal because as has been stated they are on the heavy side and do not allow for a big amp draw from a standard serial circuit like in your picture.
You will also have to consider your planes electronics. An "entry level" plane will most likely run something like 11.1 volts in the 10A range.
That would mean running 3 cells in series to get your voltage right. Now to get any kind of safety margin on your amp draw you would need to strap 3 or four of these in a prallel configuration for a max draw of 12 or 16 amps. This would put you at a capacity of 6000 or 8000 mAh and a weight of roughly 450 or 600 grams for your battery only which is way over board for a little 3s plane.
An FT storch for example would take a 3s 2200 mAH battery which weighs around 200grams adnd will deliver 50-60 amps easily.

Long story short: a battery made from these cells that could provide the neccessary amps for even a beginner level plane would probably be far too heavy. Much better to use these in ground based equipment.

mdcerdan

Elite member
I have used Lithium Ion batteries on my early gliders with some success even with 2200mA cells rated for only 4A of maximum current. It was just enough to keep it in the air and slowly climbing.
I made two 3S1P packs and one 3S2P. The 3S2P pack was too heavy to fly, I use it now to power an FPV screen or charge my phone when fishing or hunting.
I adjust the throttle channel endpoints in the radio until I get 4A at full throttle. That way I don't pull too much juice out of the pack.
Anyways is fun to fly with minimum power.
1620347158199440464006.jpg

JasonK

yah, I am running a 2s li-ion pack in a ~250g FPV setup (so 100g of battery to 250AUW) to get some endurance flying, will see if I like it or if end up rather having something with shorter flight times and more 'kick' in the end.

smiling albert

Wow,
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts.
I did think they might be a bit on the heavy side (44 g each I make them) for a 24 inch plane but. I might still try to use them in something , and at least I understand this a bit better now!
Am building a 45inch mosquito as well,using 13 squadrons design
https://www.13thsquadron.com/dehavilland-mosquito.html
,they recommend 3s 850mah - 1000mah ,so might they work there possibly strapping 2 or 3 together ?

Last edited: