• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

"Arena Rat" Ultra light indoor RC airplane.

Madspadder

What did you cover that with ? A friend of mine used to kit a foam plane called the Ghost that was covered with different colored saran wrap allowing for several color choices and still keeping it super light. Here is a picture of the fuselage in 3 different colors.

Attachments

TooJung2Die

Check out the short build thread. It's covered with a film used for sealing yogurt food containers. It measures about 1 mil thick. Buzzbomb suggested I call it "Yo'Play". :p I have a document listing dozens of covering film weights. Saran Wrap is on the list. It's only about 13.9 g/m2; very close to medium Esaki tissue.

The Ghost fuselage looks like an indoor F3P.

Last edited:

Madspadder

The Ghost was an indoor 3d airplane. Bill Lowe sold lots of these. Bill would cut them out on his laser and his girl friend would do the covering and boxing up. It always amazes how creative people are on these forums.

TooJung2Die

I found Lowe's Ghost on RCGroups. I like the little 17" version. That was back in the days when depron was still available. I'm interested in that light weight type of skeletonized construction used by the the Ghost and many other F3P 3D airplanes. I'm thinking of lightening an existing 3D design, removing most of the foam and covering with film like the Ghost. I think today we can substitute Dollar Tree foam with the paper removed or Model Plane Foam if you don't mind the expense.

Ghost.JPG

Last edited:

Madspadder

I bought a case of the Model Planet Foam. I think it was around $3.00 a sheet. The foam was not as stiff as depron but worked ok. This is really the only choice other than fan fold sheets from places like Menards.

TooJung2Die

I bought a case of the Model Planet Foam. I think it was around $3.00 a sheet.
I went in with a RC friend on some 6mm Model Plane Foam. Including the shipping it was $6.00 a sheet. I wasn't terribly happy with the quality. It has a curl and a wavy surface. You can bend out the curl. It is stronger than dollar store foam with the paper is removed and the sheets are larger, 24"x48". I'd like to try that 1/4" fanfold but you have to buy an enormous quantity; 50 feet! It's only econonmical if you have some friends go in on the purchase.

Madspadder

I looked at what I paid for a case of 16 sheets. A case of grade A for $40.00 plus $25.00 for shipping which works out to about $4.00 a sheet shipped to Illinois. I agree it wasn't the best, but it had no skin , was clean and white. The grade B is cheaper and much wavier. I usually just buy the fan fold from Menards. I end up using a lot more carbon fiber or laminating sections on larger build for strength.