ARF Stearman PT-17 from Maxford USA build log

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That's only if the camera was in flight at the time. On a pole, or from an elevated location such as a building, or a mountain, is still ok.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Or from an orbiting platform. (Google has way to many lawyers and lobbyist to loose in court on this issue)

Thurmond

misooner

I'm wondering how the Maxford PT-17 flew. I also have one and am waiting for the weather to improve here in northern MI before I can fly. So far I've been happy with the plane - the price was right, it went together without problems and it's not to big or too small. I did replace some of the screws and nuts with 2-56 size in stress areas.
I maidened the Stearman today, but more on that later.

For those few of you on the internet that don't know, I live in South Central. PA, that is. Early March in this area of the US of A is not what one would call pleasant. According to the weathermen, Meteorological Spring started two days ago. No one told that to the weather. Today, temps hovered around freezing, snow flurries drifted by, well, like snowflakes on a solid 15 mph wind.

Jesse, otherwise known as Pilot-294 on this forum, is home from his AFB base in Montana and we got together to fly today. Jesse had an issue, though. All of his "flying stuff" is in Montana. He texted me this morning stating he was going to go to one of our LHS's to "look." We know how that ends.

Jesse showed up with a shiny, new Flyzone FW-190 RTF, which he assembled in my old classroom at the middle school where I taught until moving to high school this year. I brought the following: Surfer (aka Bixler), Hellcat, Super Cub, Assassin Combat wing and my brand new, yet to fly Maxford USA Stearman. Three of those airplanes are wonderfully suited for flying in wind.

Pilot-294 flew first. He placed his brand new aircraft on the lumpy, squishy baseball infield. After waiting for the wind to be manageable, he pushed the throttle forward and climbed into the sky. She flew splendidly! This plane has plenty of speed and punch. After maybe 2 minutes of flight, he decided that he should land. We discussed landing direction while he was flying happily about. I recommended bringing it in straight down the first base line.

Jesse took the FW-190 an uncomfortable distance away (for me anyway) and lined up with the landing strip. He dropped the flaps and commented, "That slowed it way down." About 100 yards out, his plane was at treetop height - of REALLY tall trees. I thought, "hmmm." He nosed over, losing altitude. I almost said, "don't trade altitude for speed," but I refrained. I'm sure he was also refraining from offering good advice when I was landing my Stearman a bit later.

The FW came crabbing in, as it was landing in a quartering headwind. Three small children had to run for cover as the plane touched down - just a few feet from the backstop. The left landing gear collapsed and the plane skidded into the backstop. All-in-all a successful maiden in weather that was really not an intelligent choice for a maiden.

Despite that obvious fact, and the fact I had three other airplanes perfectly capable of ripping it up in that wind, I chose the less than intelligent option. I'll follow up with that in a bit.

earthsciteach

I maidened it in wind WAAAY to strong for a biplane. In the air it flew as well as can be expected. The plane was slightly tail heavy at the prescribed cg. But, I think I will like it that way in calm air. Sport aerobatics should be fun with that cg!

The "landing", however, would have been diagnosed by the FAA as, "Pilot Error." :black_eyed: I was bringing it down into a brisk wind and it was floating just like my Super Cub. It stalled and nosed over from about 12 feet. I leveled off but did not apply enough power. The result was a quick pitch up of the nose (tail heavy plane - heavy thumbs on the elevator stick). The plane performed what I can only describe as a hammerhead turn - about 4 feet above the ground. It hit hard on the lower right wing and cartwheeled.

The damage was minimal given the impact and resulting cartwheel. The only result was a couple of cracked ribs and the ca hinges in the rudder pulling out. I can't fault the airplane in the crash - only myself. And it held up extremely well. I never should have flown it in the wind. But, it had been sitting around waiting for sooooo long! ;)

earthsciteach

Today seems a fitting day to put a cap on this thread. the Stearman has been my favorite flyer for the past several months. Today, I had a great flight, right up until the Earth got in the way. :(

She's already on the project list...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Sorry to see this as a stearman is normally a well-behaved model to fly.

After several re-plays it seems that you yanked the elevator back just at the top of the stall? as you flip over and head in it looks like to gather enough speed for the wings to start pulling you out. Is there any evidence that your push rod(s) slipped in the linkage? If you have two rods (one for each elevator) this is a potential failure point. I've had it happen before. I hate this setup. I've gone so far as to solder joints for dual push rods in elevators because of it.

While the re-build may seem messy... let it sit for at least 3-weeks. Don't even look at it. Then come back and re-assess.

Last edited: