ARF Stearman PT-17 from Maxford USA build log

earthsciteach

The PT-17 that I ordered from Maxford USA arrived this evening. I've unboxed it and am looking over the contents for any possible damage. Looks good!

The contents were double boxed and packing was extremely well done. The outer box is a heavy grade of cardboard. The inner box is the "normal" grade of cardboard. Everything was held very securely with tape. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• PT-17 box.JPG
    PT-17 box.JPG
    789.7 KB · Views: 193
  • PT-17 box2.JPG
    PT-17 box2.JPG
    330.5 KB · Views: 297
  • PT-17 parts.JPG
    PT-17 parts.JPG
    550.2 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:

earthsciteach

Whoah! Hey, don't freak me out like that. How'd you get here so fast? I was just talking to you on Facebook. Are you an Ecuadorian ninja or something?

randelora

I'm very tempted to hit the buy button but I have a feeling my wife purchased me the FMS version for Christmas. Also all my planes are foamies. I have never owned or flew a balsa model before. That makes me nervous even know I'm a pretty good pilot (I think!) LOL!

earthsciteach

Well, this will be the first stick built plane. I guess you don't want me to say that I may already be completely over foam....;)

randelora

I guess I'm gonna have to blame you when my wife discovers a box from Maxford USA on my door step, and a charge for $177.85 appears on the credit card bill. LOL!

earthsciteach

Just point out that at least you didn't spend that money on some silly multi-rotor. :cool:

Did you buy the motor package, too?

randelora

It says in the description that they are 1/8 scale. They shouldn't be too hard to find. Besides I'm sure when you are finished they will look a lot better than mine.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
all my planes are foamies. I have never owned or flew a balsa model before. That makes me nervous even know I'm a pretty good pilot (I think!) LOL!

Well, this will be the first stick built plane. I guess you don't want me to say that I may already be completely over foam....;)

Guys, after flying balsa, you wont look at foam the same again! NOTHING FLIES LIKE BALSA!!!!!!

oh, teach, my Maxford Nieuport 28 arrived today too! YAY!!!!

randelora

What scares me is that nothing crashes like balsa too! How durable is a balsa model? If I nose it over while landing, Am I gonna have a lot of repairs? I have zero experience with balsa and covering.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Balsa is pretty durable and can handle a nose over just fine. Before my Great Planes Fokker D.VII was retired to my son's ceiling, it nosed over every landing b/c we don't have a paved runway. Just don't land like a rocket and it'll do just fine if it noses over. It's going to land way slower than your Corsair.

If you ever need to do a balsa repair, I'll use a broken wing spar as an example, you just cut the covering away from the damaged area, line up the two broken pieces (like a doctor does with a compound fracture lol) make sure everything is aligned and drip some thin CA into the crack. Then you can even epoxy popcicle sticks on either side for extra strength.

You may already know this but on the maiden flight, after you get her trimmed out, take it high and cut the throttle and watch how she stalls. Besides seeing how she stalls (wing drop or nose drop) it will let you know how slow you can go before the stall.