ARFmfg Katana

Fishbonez

When a club member hooks you up with a ARFmfg Katana with a PTE 56cc Gas Engine you have to get it in the air. This is the largest RC Plane in my hangar and I have to admit, "If you scared say your scared", yep I was scared. So I took it up trimmed it and just got the feel for this large plane. Enjoy

Name : Katana
Kit No : AG009
Wing span : 80in/2030mm
Wing area : 79sq.dm
Length : 70.8in/1800mm

Bricks

Master member
Great job I know every time I maiden one of my gasser or nitros my knees shake, once up and flying it settles down a bit, but not really quiet knees until the 3rd or 4th flight. Wow your field definitely has some wide open spaces.

Fishbonez

Thanks. You aint kidding. I had never flew or owned a plane that big nor had ever tried a gas plane. I had a great time now just need to get a starter for it. Im the first to admit I do not like hand starts.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This has always been on my dream list. ever since I got my first sim Reflex XTR. that plane flys like a dream in that sim. Probably why I cant fly a real plank yet because it is TOO perfect in the sim aand I spent far to much time on it instead of a crappier model hehe. Just like the Heinzlet helicopters in that sim.. Soo sweet and stable

Fishbonez

This has always been on my dream list. ever since I got my first sim Reflex XTR. that plane flys like a dream in that sim. Probably why I cant fly a real plank yet because it is TOO perfect in the sim aand I spent far to much time on it instead of a crappier model hehe. Just like the Heinzlet helicopters in that sim.. Soo sweet and stable

When i started to fly I used Realflight simulator. It helped me a lot to learn the basics but like you said it was always to perfect. I will say had I continued to use the sim I would probably be a far better pilot than I am now. The sim just became a video game for me and the reset button was just so easy. If its on your bucket list then my suggestion is to just go for it. I doubt you will regret it. This plane however would not have been something I would have bought because its just to big for me to store and I don't have a trailer for my truck so when it gets flown its pretty much the only one I will fly. Once I got her into trim it flew really nice. Cant wait to get her up again, get her a few mistakes high and practice some aerobatics with it.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I wish I could "Just go for" a lot of things mate. But my body keeps reminding me it likes food more then toys. It takes me months to pieces parts a quad together. Besides not owning a vehicle makes taking something like that out to fly a near impossibility.

Fishbonez

I can understand that. I have to remind myself that mine was a "hookup" so I paid far less than the plane actually cost.

ariehlflyer

My hands always shake really bad too, but mainly on landing. My field's runway is a one way strip about 50 ft long with trees on one end. Its better since they removed the barbed wire fence at the threshold. :)

Fishbonez

My hands dont shake but knees definitely do. In fact there was once when I thought I was going to fall down they shook so bad

Fishbonez

Well a little update: Not to long after making this thread the Katana had a hard landing and it took a long time to repair and to troubleshoot an ignition problem I had. I was determined to get this plane ready for my clubs Memorial Day Weekend Fly In so with a little helps from my friends here is what we got.

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice to see it back in the air mate.

I am pretty sure that sputter is not prop related. It sounds more like the carb is sucking air.

Check the seals at the base where it mounts.

Fishbonez

Nice to see it back in the air mate.

I am pretty sure that sputter is not prop related. It sounds more like the carb is sucking air.

Check the seals at the base where it mounts.

Thanks friend Ill look into it. I dont fly too many gas engine planes and I dont own a gas weed eater so I never really heard what a well tuned or balance motor should sound like on this size motor. I sure was glad to see it take to the air

Bricks

Master member
Hard to tell but your high speed is breaking up not sure if lean or to rich ( guessing to rich ) I would take a RPM meter tune to highest RPM then back off about 200-300 RPM. That engine is defiantly not putting out the power it should.

L Edge

Master member
The Katana is an excellant plane to do the 3D stuff. Is the 50cc broken in yet or not?

Suggest you work with someone who really know how to tune the engine. For every time you touch the high end, you may need to tinker with the low end. Especially if you hover.

I have an Extra 500 with a DA 50cc engine that is totally composite with Kevalar hinges that weighs 12.4 lbs. on takeoff. It climbs vertical and hovers forever. With gas, the limit is how long can you fly before the "dumb thumb" takes over.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I love the look of the Katana's. The flight sim I have Reflex XTR has 2 of them in it and they are huge. They float so gracefully but with some power and stick pounding they can really get twisty turn fast hehe. Glad to see you got it back in the air.

Bricks

Master member
I would really like to have the Addiction but by the time you install the recommended electronics it`s pushing $500. If I could ever find one close by used....WWWWEEeeellll.

Fishbonez

I love the look of the Katana's. The flight sim I have Reflex XTR has 2 of them in it and they are huge. They float so gracefully but with some power and stick pounding they can really get twisty turn fast hehe. Glad to see you got it back in the air.
Yes I admit everytime I fly this bird I am as nervouse as the day I met my wife

I would really like to have the Addiction but by the time you install the recommended electronics it`s pushing $500. If I could ever find one close by used....WWWWEEeeellll.

This is where club come in. Often older club members who are retiring from the hobby often have great deals on some of their older planes and all you need to do is upgrade them some and WWWWEEEeeeelllll. :)