Ask and get ANSWERED.

squishyp38

Do lifting bodies go in the delta/ wing category? I was wondering because I have been designing and prototyping a lifting body airplane. I would like to know if I should post in the delta/wing category or in the scratchbuilt/ something else category.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Do lifting bodies go in the delta/ wing category? I was wondering because I have been designing and prototyping a lifting body airplane. I would like to know if I should post in the delta/wing category or in the scratchbuilt/ something else category.

Yes, I think that is the most fitting forum - creating a new category is kind of not necessary for rare topics like this one.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Hi SkySlayer, got a newb question for you.

I'm left handed and I'm wondering how this will factor in to which radios I can use. Are there left and right handed transmitters or are there ones that can be converted easily? Back in the 80's I had a couple of RC cars, a Grasshopper and an RC10. I found that when I changed the sticks around on the radio. (i had to open the back up to do this) I felt more comfortable driving them. Later I got a left handed pistol grip. This was great but not easy to find. Because not every radio had a southpaw version.

So, what does a lefty need to know when shopping for radios?

Thanks and 73's.
Ya what colorex said is true but if i was you i would just get a normal Mode 2 transmitter i knw ur left handed but like me as an eg. i kick a ball with my right foot but on a skateboard,surfboard and scooter i am goofy footed and with my hands i can eat with the utensils in any configuration but i can only draw with my right ,so u should just get used to a mode 2 because(now there have been world wide debates)it is the most aerobatic way to fly

SkySlayer

What about flying in Mode 1. I am not left handed but maybe that is an option out there. I think this is a good question. I unfortunatly do no have a better answer. Anyone else???
No he must not fly in mode 1 it is an amateur(no offense to all mode 1 flyer s) mode because it does not allow much rudder input compared to mode 2

SkySlayer

Ya i learnt this from my uncle because he was in mode 2 but then every1 he knew was mode 1 so no 1 could teach him mode 2 so he switched and now regrets it. Now he is trying to learn mode 2 again

Webcrowd

HI everyone, I was wanting to get some information on Lipo and charge levels please. I am a total noob to the electric side of things, and only just returning to the hobby after 20 years absence. So if any one would care to share their wisdom, that would be much appreciated. I have been trolling forums and YouTube and am getting the grasp of the basics, but have a few (probably idiotic) questions I would like clear answers on please.

1. Safe discharge point on a 3S lipo? I have some 3S lipo batteries and I was wanting to know what is a safe voltage to stop at. Currently I am stopping around 11.2v, before changing batteries.
  2. What is the difference between 1600mah and 2200mah, does one just last longer for the same plane, or does the 2200 actually increase power to the engine as well?
  3. My plane is a FMS Fox glider from Hobbyking. I love it and it uses 3S batteries. I read on another formum someone saying they tried a 4S in the plane. Would this work? Can you just change voltage like that? I thought the motor was 11.1v and plugging in 14.4 would fry it, or does the ESC work this out?

I appreciate any advice you can provide, and thanks in advance.

Simon

Manfet

1. You should never go below 9V. Most go down to 10.2V
2. It has a higher capacity => longer flight time.
3. Well you can calculate it here: http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm But most times those systems are already maxed out. If you put a higher voltage battery in you have more power but you can only use it for half a minute before you should let it cool down again.

panyflx

I just got my first plane the Bixler RTF, after putting it together and charging the stock batery using the stock charger, I conect it and the ESC doesn´t beep, a red led blinks in the rx and I try to do the rx tx binding and it doesn´t work, I´d really appreciate your help since I have no idea what to do.
If you are new then just ask me anything and i will have an answer to it i have been in your position so i have made the mistakes and now you can learn from them.

panyflx

I just got my first plane the Bixler RTF, after putting it together and charging the stock batery using the stock charger, I conect it and the ESC doesn´t beep, a red led blinks in the rx and I try to do the rx tx binding and it doesn´t work, I´d really appreciate your help since I have no idea what to do.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor

Hello panyflx, and welcome.

It would be appreciated if you could keep the question on one thread. :)

Just a kind suggestion :)

But anyway, do you have a voltmeter? So you could measure the battery voltage.

Let's go through the setup as well.

-The black and white and red cable coming from the ESC should go to the throttle channel on the receiver.
-The two wires (red and black, separate) coming out from the ESC should go to the battery with the right polarity.
-The three wires coming out from the other side of the ESC, (same color) go to the three wires on the motor.
-The servo cables go in the corresponding channel in the receiver.

Now the troubleshooting:

-The receiver gets current, which means that the BEC of the ESC is OK.
-Are the other servos moving? reverse the plug and try again.
-The ESC does not beep when plugged in - check motor connectors.

Note that the ESC doesn't beep, the motor does.

Good luck with your motor.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Hi Andre- I think he had not bound the rx to the tx- I think his problem is fixed, not sure because he posted all over the place ;)

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi Andre- I think he had not bound the rx to the tx- I think his problem is fixed, not sure because he posted all over the place ;)

OK Thanks :) I don't have any experience with 2.4GHz - with 72MHz it's just plug-n-go! As soon as I plug in the battery, I have servo movement.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
Ok, I have a question about my first homebuilt plane. I was thinking I could make a fun bat. I am confident with everything except the electronics. I guess my question is, there is a list of parts, but doesn't it need a reciever? on the video made by flitetest they have all the parts except a receiver...
Also, I have a spektrum DX5e that I would like to bind to the plane if I can...
Anyway, any and all help is appriciated, brand new to flying so..
~Carbon

Last edited:

earthsciteach

Yep, any RC airplane will need a receiver. In your case, you will need a receiver that is compatible with your DX5. I'm guessing they didn't cover this because there is such an enormous amount of TX/RX combinations available. Whatever TX you have, you just need an RX that talks to it!