Ask and get ANSWERED.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
That plane won't have the prop clearance unless modified to run a G46/Power 46 type motor. This plane would be perfect with a G32/770kv, 12x8 prop and a 4s lipo. These motors are actually more powerful than their glow equivalents. A .46 glow (which is what this plane calls for) only spins like a 10" or 11" prop. The G32/power 32 type motors will be closer to a .46 glow.

The G32, 12x8 APC prop and 4s battery will give over 700watts...that's going to be at or over 100w/lb for this plane which will pull it along nicely and have plenty of reserve power to get him out of trouble if needed.

G32: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__14400__Turnigy_G32_Brushless_Outrunner_770kv_.html

APC 12x8 prop: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXZK99&P=FR (or local hobby shop)

Last edited:

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You'll need a 5s battery to use the G46 with a 12" prop. That'll be extra cost and weight. The G32 is perfect with a 12" prop and a 4s battery, plus it'll give over 100w/lb which will be perfect for sport flying with that airframe. I'd for sure use an ESC with built-in BEC. I'd go with the Dynam 60a ESC w/BEC. It's programmable with a programming card which makes it super easy

The Dynam ESC is the same as the Turnigy Plush ESCs.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dye-1015-60a-esc.html
yhst-62196343123315_2213_63581283.gif

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-esc-programcard.html
yhst-62196343123315_2212_8967624.gif

zodrik

hi guys just a question how do i start a new thread? I went in the faq section but i don't see the button create a new thread!anyway I want make new thread because I don't find somebody who have hack a spektrum dx5 to attach a JRmodule,so maybe if i start a ne thread i'll get somebody involded in the project!

Liemavick

Mentor
Hello Zodrik and welcome. To start a new thread click on "forum" go down the title list to find where your question would best fit, in your case "RC-Radios-Transmitters-and-Receivers" Click there and it will open that section, at the top left of the list you will see "Post new thread" Good luck and have fun.

Brian

Glademist

Hello,
i would love to ask if there is a battery type / capacity that should accomodate the usual need of a RC pilot. I am not talking any specific plane because i plan to fly lets say 1000-1500 mm wingspan planes and would love to use same batteries for most of them.
I know i probably wont be able to use the same batteries all my career but i want to ask whether there is a capacity/type/size that SHOULD cover the general needs.

Thank you.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hello,
i would love to ask if there is a battery type / capacity that should accomodate the usual need of a RC pilot. I am not talking any specific plane because i plan to fly lets say 1000-1500 mm wingspan planes and would love to use same batteries for most of them.
I know i probably wont be able to use the same batteries all my career but i want to ask whether there is a capacity/type/size that SHOULD cover the general needs.

Hey Glademist -- welcome to the forums!

"Usual" isn't a good word to cover all of RC modeling -- There's just too much variety. Even in the 1-1.5m span range you're talking about, you can go from heavy 5s packs for an overpowered and speedy ducted fan to a tiny 2s pack on a powered glider.

There are packs that are more common than others, but it greatly depends on the model. two suggestions:

1. take a look at the models/plans you're interested in, and make a list of what they suggest. you'll start to see common packs float to the surface, for the style of flying you're interested in.

2. EXCPECT lipos to be consumable. yes, treat them nice, an hope they last a while, but like tires on a race car they have a limited lifespan -- expect to buy more. As you have more models you'll fly some more than others. plan on replacing the sizes you use more or buy new sizes to fly a new model a little longer or a little lighter.

SkySlayer

ARC=Almost Ready to Crash
Couldn't have said it better myself. Although, just 1 thing for me is that i use Li-po's 2s 800mAh(for heli's) and 3s 1300mAh for my planes. I havent bought any other sizes but i usually buy only planes around those size.

Glademist

Ok! So another question which has no right answer, but i would still Love to hear opinions.

Transmitter.

With the first bought plane came a set 4 channel transmitter. (Pretty bad imho).
According to me and my mentors i made progress and think i would love to get a transmitter for my actual plane
and the planes to come.

Now at first, i wanted to phrase the question as whether i should go for a Graupner Mx12 (240 dollars), an Optic 6 (240 dollars) or an Futaba 6J (210 dollars) or 8J (304 dollars). Or maybe one of the Spektrum DXs. Dx7s(342 dollars) Dx8 (474 dollars).

I dont like "buy cheap, buy twice" so i want to pull maximum from the money i invest.

My question is: which function or possibly number of channels should the transmitter absolutely have to keep me flying for a few years.

At the moment i like my electric glider (no flaps, just 4 CH) and i tend to gravitate towards big topwing aircrafts
and some small size (60-70 cm wide) "acrobats". Just from looking at them though. Meaning i plan to build something
like a Beaver or a SuperCub and perhaps and the swappable series beginning with FT Baby blender and FT 3D.

Are there any really usefull things to map to Channels above 6?

I mean - 1 Ailerons, 2 engine, 3 elevator, 4 rudder, 5 flaps, 6 bomb bay... what more could i possibly need?

Though recently i read about "crow" "butterfly" glider modes and suddenly feel like i maybe needed an 8 channel
and the price keeps rising and rising.

I live in Europe so the prices are little different then in US, but i am willing to pay when i get the value.
Also i live in an area, where i will "mostly" or "allways" fly on a small airfield. No hill gliding or stuff like that probably.

I am hoping for any answer that would help me decide.

p.s. maybe i should have created a new topic for that, but maybe the answer will be something like "you need 6 channels any of the above are good for you, take the 8J only if you like the looks and can buy it cheap".

RoyBro

Mentor
I think my answer would be to buy the best you can afford.

I know that there is a big Turnigy 9x & 9xr following, because of it's initial low price and firmware upgradability. I am currently running mine with OpenTX, which is the same firmware that came with my FrSky Taranis. I intend to use the 9x as a backup / guest transmitter. Also with them both running the same (almost) firmware, I only have to learn programming method for both radios.

earthsciteach

I'd recommend the Turnigy 9x, ER9x, HK Orange, or the Taranis. All good, inexpensive TXs. If it was me, I'd go for the Taranis.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The big boys don't rule the roost so much anymore. Granted, with them you can be sure of decent quality but in the 6 channel Tx's, the build quality suffers a little on the big names, and it's right where the so called "cheap" Tx's start to take off. Take the 9X/9XR. Really workable Tx's where some of the gimbals were initially reported as often bad or glitchy but seem to have cleared up in the later stages since I only hear of failures very seldom, if at all. Programmable with upgradable firmware for even more capability and model memory! Then you have the Taranis, which has even more features and open source firmware for super flexability and upgradeable features. For $200, you cant go wrong with the superior build quality, Frsky rock solid signal and built in telemetry capability. It also has a module bay in the rear so if you already have a fleet of planes on another protocol, all you need is a JR compatible module for that protocol and you can use the same Taranis to fly everything. Voice alerts, backlight on the screen, expandable channel count, it has some nice features!

You say you don't need all those channels? Those channels can be useful later on down the road. Say you decide you'd like a plane with both ailerons and flaps, but you'd like the individual surfaces on separate servos, as in one servo per flap and one servo per aileron. Well, you now need 4 channels just for the wing alone. With retracts and a bomb bay and the elevator, rudder, throttle you have already, now you just hit 9 channels without really trying. Just saying, for what you want to spend on a 6 channel you can have a more capable radio that will do pretty much anything you can think of, and stuff you haven't even thought of yet...

Last edited:

Glademist

Thanks everyone, still undecided but with a better overview.

My next question is how to land in wind with gusts, not sure if everyone knows what i mean by this since i dont know the proper english wording.

I have an electric glider, 1400 mm wide, i went to fly the other day and when i came there was WIND. Not some serious one it felt, but i was wrong. I flew before in WIND, but it was stable, but this day it was not stable and there were gusts which held the plane for 8-10 secs, then go totally away and then return.

I took of and immidiately started fighting the wind, seeing my chances of doing my usual stuff (circles, rectangles, acrobatic immelman and looping). The aircraft was violently shaken around and it turned lef tand right without my input.

I decided i need to get it down as fast as possible. So i turned towards the wind and the airplane was hanging in the wind, almost not moving. At that moment two kids ran into the landing area and although i was shouting at them i had to give up on my cut grass landing spot before me and had to move with engine power behind them further down the grass landing strip.

I dont land with engine, because i dont have wheels and i dont want to destroy my propeller. So i turned off engine and with elevator pushed the plane slowly towards ground. Roughly 2 meters above ground the wind suddenly stopped. The airplane lost support and lift and fell to ground damaging its nose a little. Nothing i did was having an impact i guess its speed was zero and when the wind stopped the lift went away so there really wasnt anything i could do.

My question is, is there any tip or trick on how to land in Strong Wind or Wind with gusts.?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
My question is, is there any tip or trick on how to land in Strong Wind or Wind with gusts.?

Prayer helps . . .

Three suggestions, all risky:

- land fast and clean. like those flaps and slow smooth landings? not with gusts. bring her in clean, and fast. get close to the ground as you can and keep her there barely flaired. she might still pop up on flair, but don't let her gain much altitude -- you're running out of runway. The wind gradient will keep the air stiller close to the ground, and if you get a stall from buffeting a foot off the ground, it's better than not recovering from 5ft up. If you can skid at high speed on the plane's landing skids, the ground can eat all the inertia you have left . . . but takes a really good hand to do it w/o damage.

- We land into the wind because it slows ground speed and generally slows the process down. If you've got strong buffeting, I've noticed upwind legs amplify the effect. land slow . . . downwind. Can't do this in really strong winds, but if your downwind legs look manageable (not super fast), you might give it a try. your stall speed (according to ground) will go up, but the wind gradient ensures wind won't be going as fast at the bottom as the top.

- ballast. nasty stuff, but with greater mass comes greater inertia, and more inertia left over after that gust steals some.

Beyond that, have I mentioned Prayer?