JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Thanks for finding and posting the pic Fred. Between that and the airman salute from Chad I can now resume obsessing over this.

Thanks anyway Chad. I have a Jane's recce guide I donated to the school that I'll check on to research this.

Tom O'Connell

Bixler FPV Mods Fantastic
hey chad i live up in the north about 300 miles away from london.....loads nicer up here as im sure anas will agree :p
hills valleys rivers the sea
:p

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Chad,

Perhaps this is just my perception but it seems there are a good number of Aussie RC Air enthusiasts. Do you have a ballpark percentage of how many FliteTest supporters there are from down under?

By the way, I am very enthused that there is such an international interest and collaboration as we see in this and other RC air community forums. Perhaps we should open an International Channel where those of us who are multilingual can make ourselves available to those others who would be otherwise disconnected.

—Jim

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Chad,

Perhaps this is just my perception but it seems there are a good number of Aussie RC Air enthusiasts. Do you have a ballpark percentage of how many FliteTest supporters there are from down under?

By the way, I am very enthused that there is such an international interest and collaboration as we see in this and other RC air community forums. Perhaps we should open an International Channel where those of us who are multilingual can make ourselves available to those others who would be otherwise disconnected.

—Jim
It's hard to say exactly, but about 22% of our audience is from Australia... according to YouTube.

Let's get the normal channels working efficiently before expanding internationally ;)

Friz

Fighting for more FLITE
I've been flying for 9 years now and I want to get into fpv i have all the camera and transmitter/receiver gear. What would you suggest for first fpv plane(scratch built or built) and also i'm guessing you'd recommend fat shark video goggles .

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
I've been flying for 9 years now and I want to get into fpv i have all the camera and transmitter/receiver gear. What would you suggest for first fpv plane(scratch built or built) and also i'm guessing you'd recommend fat shark video goggles .

I love the goggles but a monitor is cheaper and better to start with. My recommendation is a flying wing like the TekSumo or Swift II for your first FPV venture. Don't try to slap a GoPro on your first FPV plane. Work up to it. Have you seen this episode?...
http://flitetest.com/articles/simple-fpv/
It's a good primer for FPV.

I hope this helps!

Friz

Fighting for more FLITE
So is the tek sumo a larger wing area/ airplane, anyone compared their carrying ability

Rcplaneguy

Minnesota Flyer
Hey Chad! Big fan of the show. Have you thought of doing a video about your camera planes and setups for camera planes? A simple response would be awesome! Thanks for taking your time to answer all of our questions to make Flite Test the best it can be!
Thanks,
~Rcplaneguy

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
So is the tek sumo a larger wing area/ airplane, anyone compared their carrying ability

Yeah I think the Teksumo is tha bigger one between the two: look here

The smaller one is around 50mm in width I think.

The big one is a very good plane for FPV as is it easy to fly (for most of us I think) and has quite good carrying ability. Often people put a Gopro on it as well, so a plus of at least 100-300g in my opinion should be fine, depending on how much power you have.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey Chad! Big fan of the show. Have you thought of doing a video about your camera planes and setups for camera planes? A simple response would be awesome! Thanks for taking your time to answer all of our questions to make Flite Test the best it can be!
Thanks,
~Rcplaneguy

Go to the Articles section of the site, and type in FPV in the search bar, you'll find a lot of that info there.

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Thanks,
~Rcplaneguy
That's a good idea. Maybe we'll get around to it eventually. Right now we have a full agenda for a couple of months. Have you seen this yet?...
http://flitetest.com/articles/fpv-twinstar-version-01/

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
That's a good idea. Maybe we'll get around to it eventually. Right now we have a full agenda for a couple of months. Have you seen this yet?...
http://flitetest.com/articles/fpv-twinstar-version-01/

Thats one of the articles I was looking for. That and the ground station one.

FPV_Ground_Station.jpg

I was a bit rushed before, so I didn't add any links.

Friz

Fighting for more FLITE
Would the Twinstar make a good first fpv plane or should i stick with a tek sumo because i have no problem flying.
Below is the FPV gear i already have just need a plane to lift them maybe my scratch built plane below would work. The patch attenna is probably the only advanced thing shown below and maybe the camera IMG_0333.jpg
Edit the video below is the flight of my first scratch build which was built and flown last week end, the platform still needs some modifcation but its very stable and slow. This plane is without a doubt the most invicible plane i own

Last edited:

StoneKap

Executive Producer
Admin
Mentor
Would the Twinstar make a good first fpv plane or should i stick with a tek sumo because i have no problem flying.

Great scratch build! Throw the FPV gear on your scratch build to start. Just to get a feel for it. Slow is best. Once you get comfortable move up to something more refined.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Chad, where did you get the 900 MHz patch antenna? Are you using that or the helical (David) antennas now? Which do you recommend? What Tx antenna do you use for the Patch Rx?

RCLEE

Hey Chad,
I wanted to know what frequency i can use in Mexico for FPV legally. I can't find anything online. I know David was in Cancun, thats where i'll be for the next 6 months. Don't want to end up in a Mexican jail :D
Cheers Lee