Asking for your help

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Hello everybody.

I am here with my hat in my hand as they say to ask of you all a huge favour. As you al well know, you are all under the hammer in the States with the new FAA ruling and I have spread the word here in Spain amongst the forums I am on, and people have signed from the on the change.org petition that was published for the matter, which unfortunately we couldn't help more with letter campaign and things like that as we are not american citizens. Now unfortunately, sparking off from what the FAA has done over there, the AESA (our equivalent of your FAA) togeather with the sporting federations (yes, plural, one for the nation and one for each autonomous region) have decided to band togeather to enforce a new law to take action on September 5th. It's all a very long and winded plan they have out, just as most of these official organisms do, but really, what is saying is this:

-That from the 5th of September, anyone wanting to fly a model aircraft must have the appropriate licence with which to do so, which is in itself raising an issue as the issuing of the licence will be with arbitrary rules and price depending which federation is issuing it and will have limited coverage.
-You will only be able to fly within the confines of a federation approved site, which in itself eliminates all slopesoaring, as well as the prohibition on most sites nowadays against helicopters, multirotors and nitro/gas engines.
-You will only be able to fly on clear days when the weather is favourable, without indicating of course what the definition of "favourable weather" is, such as wind velocity. Also, incidently, banning all night flying.
-The range will be of 300m, which in itself removes long range FPV entirely, eventhough FPV is still allowed, arbeit it's not allowed at many flying fields just like helicopters and such.
-The movement is to enforce everyone under the governing body of a sports federation, who's existence is solely for competition reasons. This would be like having to join a professional sporting federation for cycling just to ride a bike to work for example. The federations have no jurisdiction over the sport on a hobby level, and in fact have absolutely no interest, but are using this ploy to get more money for their own uses, as not only do they get money from memberships, but also an assigned grant from the government which is in accordance with the number of members they have. At a vote, only the members who actively compete actually get a right to vote for example. This enforcement is of no interest to anyone on a hobby level, and in fact doesn't even cover under their own insurance plan as that only covers in officially organised federation events, being the usage on normal days even on federation land uncovered, as well as not covering anyone before third party (other pilots, federation members and their families not being considered third party and therefore being uncovered by the insurance).
-The ability to add new random rules after the law enforcement without any needed consent from anyone. Meaning that if after the law is in place, they can decide to say "no 3 blade propellers allowed" for example, with no reason as to why and no ability to challenge the ruling, becoming law immediately.

These things and many others are what they have decided to try and enforce onto us, literally banning the hobby as such entirely unless practised in an environment completely controlled by them under their random rules, and all for a random fee that they will decide almost on a case-to-case basis, which is not surprising considering the amount of corruption this so called government is in to, and the federations just want more money for their own use and just to invest in the competitive sport, and whatever's left over, well, that usually just dissapears, no questions asked, for those with the authority to ask them are in on it too. You are not even allowed to fly on your own property without it first being surveyed by a federation official for a large fee, and then subsequent yearly fees ontop of your membership fee, and all to fly a quad for example in your back yard.

As such we are starting a letter campaign against the movement over here in Spain, but just as with your case, you have to be a Spanish resident to be able to do so. But, on a parallel line, a petition has been made at change.org which anyone will be able to sign, and this is where I ask, where I beg you to please help us by doing the favour of signing it. At the moment, the goal is only set at 200 as not many people actually fly within Spain, but I would LOVE to be able to blow everybody's expectations with a goal that totally breaks that if possible.

I come to you on this forum as I find it to be a wonderful community, on an international basis, where everyone is so kind and helpful always, hoping you could possibly help us out with this issue which is downright totally unfair, and as I said before, literally banning the hobby and forcing many of us to give it up.

If you do wish to help, here is the link to the Change.org petition been created for the issue. If there are any questions about it, being as it is in Spanish of course, please ask them here or even in a private message, and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Thank you all very much for your support, and thank you FT for being such a great site/show/community.

Andrea

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Do you have a rc organization that can do any lobbying for you like the AMA or DMFV here in Germany? As if Spain has not enough problems already. :-

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
No, we don't... We wish we did but we don't. There are only the federations which only take care of the professional aspects of the sport, whilst no one stands up for the hobbyists. The federations want to force everyone to join eventhough they don't compete, and place all these limitations on us eventhough they don't represent us. To put it into perspective, it would be like forcing everyone who drives to pay to join the FIA, force everyone to drive ONLY on an approved racetrack (and nowhere else) and still only actively represent the interests of the professional racecar drivers.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
And, to to make matters worse and that much harder for us, we don't even have any of those "contact your congress representative" or anything like that, and any campaigns against an upcomming law has to be on paper, which is like they make it that more difficult for the people to stand for our rights, with no internet place to complain or anything...

... As you said, as if this country didn't have enough problems already, but tgat is the pure basis of this law, to get more money out of the people any way they can. Rather than inspiring people to join by actually offering something in return like the AMA, they want to take the more fachist route and force everyone to join wuth no representation or anything in return. Literally it would be like imposing an aeromodelling tax, where you pay, they get the money and only a handful actually get something out of it. Of course, the sporting federations are rubbing their hands togeather

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
I signed! Somehow the site got completely in Spanish though... But I managed (using Chrome's translate function, and google translate as well...)

Is it possible for you to post a screenshot with the translations, so it is easier for people? :)

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
It was made in spanish on the spanish side of the site, hence it's all in spanish. When everyone signed your petition I had to explain it all to them as it was all in english eventhough it was read from a spanish IP. Change.org doesn't translate depending on where you are, it keeps it as is in the language of origen. This is why I explained it all in the first post so you knew what it was you were signing.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
I can do a screenshot with the translation next to each button as to what is where like name and such, but can't until monday when I again have access to a library computer... Not easy to do it on the phone hehehe

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
Part of the new law includes a reinterpretatiok of the concept of aeromodel, so as to encompass everything possible under federation control...

Aeromodelo: Aeronaves, capaces de sostenerse en la atmósfera, no suceptibles de llevar una persona a bordo, siempre que sean utilizadas exclusivamente para demostraciones aéreas, actividades deportivas, recreativas o de competición.

Translation:

Aeromodel: Aircraft, capable of sustaining itself in the atmosphere, not able to carry people on board, which are to be used exclusively for aerial demonstation, sporting activities, recreational or competitive use.

So, by this definition, if a kid in school makes a paper plane, then takes it out and throws it in the school yard, they can be sanctioned for flying an aeromodel without a federation issued licence, and also for participating in aeromodel flying on non-federation approved land...

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Aeromodel: Aircraft, capable of sustaining itself in the atmosphere, not able to carry people on board, which are to be used exclusively for aerial demonstation, sporting activities, recreational or competitive use.

This raises the question when a model plane is NOT an aeromodel... wtf?