Assassin Rebuild. Oh yes. Cuthulu rises.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
This is a combat and crash veteran in great need of retirement or repair.
I had almost given up on this one but you know, it's hard for me to quit on a combat pane ;)
This was one of the first combat planes Jake and I built when we started flying.
He spent hours on hand cutting a beautiful stencil and painting the plane.
Sadly the main feature was right where the battery and electronics needed to go :(
Field repairs, lots of hot glue and extreme tape have made it heavier and heavier as time goes by.
Jake gave up on it and donated it to me.
Will I rebuild it? Yeah I think so!

IMG_20140705_195111_321.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Survey the damage.
Man this plane lost a a lot of weight just by pulling off all the laminate, extreme tape and packing tape that had accumulated over the years.

The servos and the elvons are in good shape and I'll just leave the servos in there for the repair.
the entire nose north of the battery compartment was ripped out, knew it was mangled but this looks pretty harsh.

IMG_20140705_203114_147.jpg

One wingtip had been ripped off and repaired at one time, the other one ripped most of the way off, the core is serated at the joint.

IMG_20140705_203125_100.jpg

IMG_20140705_203151_466.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Thought sure the spar was damaged but it was only loose in the slot. Pulled it out and checked it. Cleaned it up and CA'd it back looks good now. I think we might be back in business.

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
White Gorrlia Glue, Extreme tape and some hot glue.
Only a little more extreme tape than usual.
Structural repairs all completed.
Motor mount and little red motor reinstalled.

IMG_20140706_020751_943.jpg

IMG_20140706_020817_685.jpg

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Electronics installed

IMG_20140706_221914_715.jpg

All done up and good to go

IMG_20140706_221939_343.jpg

All up- not too bad considering all of the tape, gorrilla glue and hot glue to fix and set this thing up!

IMG_20140706_222619_757.jpg

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
JPN

Exactly like I would have fixed it! ;) I love white gorilla glue to repair voids in foam.

I really need to build my Deep Reaper XL and about a dozen others I have parts for. Not enough hours in a day. :(

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Thanks Thurmond. So many planes, so little time!
It sure turned out to be a sweet flyer.
I have a couple of Grim Reapers that still need built, just haven't been in a building mood for a long time.
I have a love/hate relationship with Gorilla Glue.
Next time I use it I'm getting some rubber gloves.

Just brought it down once to adjust the mechanical trims dialed and started playing with the soccer goal.
How many other planes would you dare flying through the soccer goal on the maiden?
Rang the post a couple of times even. Gotta love the Assassin, it laughs at danger :cool:

You should also check out the Pinata. It's an Assassin with a middle section that makes it great for a light FPV ship.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Pinata looks cool. Here is a hint I discovered when I got gorilla glue / expandable foam on my steel house siding: It will come off when wet with isopropyl alcohol. Gloves are always a must for me.

Thurmond

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
Latest update:
Switched out the stock little red motor for an 8 turn rewind motor.
Excellent vertical performance. I'm very happy with the way this plane flies.
IMG_20140707_133032_938-EFFECTS.jpg