At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

danskis

Master member
A couple of words of advice that are worth what you pay for them. My immediate plan for a bad launch is to chop the throttle and give it full up elevator if I have time - but chop the throttle first to minimize damage. (all my planes are hand launch) Kilroy07 already mentioned this and I second it.

Second - I think the firewall reinforcement on most flite test planes is woefully inadequate. I use popsicle sticks for cross bracing and bbq skewers for longtitudinal "runners" that go down all four corners of the fuselage and butt up against the firewall. I also use a double thick (2 pieces laminated) firewall. I've had planes go in from 50 feet up with minimal damage. A lot of the FT planes are tail heavy anyway
. fuselage.jpg

Last edited:

Apple Pie

Elite member
T minus one week until I can maiden my Edge. Seems kind of ridiculous given I built the damn thing in September (long story). It's a stock build with the Flite Test 2218 4s 1350 setup. I suspect I'll crash the heck out of it and then dig back through this thread to find all the little suggestions people have made on reinforcing the cowl etc! Love hearing how people are powering theirs too. I've got plenty of motor battery combos I can try out, but my prop selection maxxes out at 11 x 4.5 which I thought would be plenty ... maybe not so! :LOL:

Apple Pie

Elite member
Yeah, I may be slow as molasses sometimes on repairs, etc, but it takes a lot for me to give up on a plane. ;)

I've noticed too, that I am not one of those crash em and trash em kind of people with these foamboard planes...I try and hold on to them as long as I can.
My problem is that I'm an addicted builder who is running out of space. I need a brutal summer of crashing planes beyond reasonable repair, laughing heartily about it, recovering electronics and then trying another design. Heck, my son and I even try to crash into each other while flying to no avail :p

mayan

Legendary member
My problem is that I'm an addicted builder who is running out of space. I need a brutal summer of crashing planes beyond reasonable repair, laughing heartily about it, recovering electronics and then trying another design. Heck, my son and I even try to crash into each other while flying to no avail :p
That's how its done :).

Bricks

Master member

I know it never happens when you try to crash into someone., but try and miss someone good luck with that BANG.