At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

OliverW

Legendary member
Wow so happy to see all of you nice people that are joining us. Welcome onboard @Berekiah I like the idea of the sand paper on the wheel that could work really well in my opinion.

@basslord1124 a tip when cutting try to be as accurate as possible because of the tabs that have to line up and yes mark your pieces it will help you keep track of the build :).

@SquirrelTail if you come with a mod for the landing gear that would be awesome I personally don’t put it cause I am having issues bending and cutting the 2.4mm wire for it.

@buzzbomb tip for you follow the video step by step so you don’t mess up it would be hard to fix mistakes with this build.
I am thinking of putting the plate on top of the normal landing gear slot, then using balsa triangle stock underneath

mayan

Legendary member
I'm in. Build wise I'll be fine. My piloting skills may not match up though. Don't expect me to get past a single flight. I can see me lawn darting this one. Ah well, good excuse to build another one😁. The crash should be entertaining though.
@basslord1124 I'm going to be using 4 x emax ES08MAii servos and a separate 5a ubec. No way I'm trusting the one in the esc with this bird.
Not sure about prop, esc and battery combinations that will work yet with the 2218 motor. Do want to try and stick with 3s if possible. Any hints or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Few pics here from I did build it. Just waiting on electrics to be installed.
Wow happy that you joined and awesome looking build too. ESC wise 30a should be fine, prop wise a 10x7 is what I used in the past on 3S battery. To help you fly it better dial in deflections their mechanically or via the Tx. If you want help with how to do it mechanically let me know I’ll post a picture of it.

@basslord1124 I didn’t use MG servos but if you plan to go full 3D flying it could be good definitely recommend a ubec.

basslord1124

Master member
Personally, I am ONLY using metal gear servo's now. I have piles of the cheap blue plastic gear ones around that I'll use here and there ( I did a quick Arrow build last night, and that got some plastic ones)

I would at least use a MG on the rudder - it tends to take a beating on hard landings and is usually the first to strip.

now that you have it printed and taped down - now you know why I'm buying a speed build kit :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I may go all MG on this one. Normally I've always felt if it was a Cub/high wing/trainer type I'd use plastic gear. But for anything where excellent performance/speed/torque is a big thing I look at MG servos.

Welcome aboard, @basslord1124! You're off to a great start. No worries about not being able to marathon build. Not only do I intend to go slow with this build, I'm slow at building anyway, and I've been so burned out from work lately, I haven't been able to do much of anything.

We do what we can when we can. We're all really looking forward to the day we can maiden these, but there's no timeframe. Besides, you've got a LOT of cutting to do! :p

Thanks @buzzbomb , I tend to be slow at building too. My Seaduck is a speedbuild kit and probably took a good 5-6 hours to complete. But I split it over multiple evenings in a 2-3 week period. I imagine the Edge will be a month long build of just pacing myself.

Oh yeah cutting everything including the cheese. :D:sick::poop: I kinda think I'll be one of the few doing a scratchbuild of the Edge. I remember @PsyBorg scratchbuilt one...can't remember how it turned out though.

mayan

Legendary member
I kinda think I'll be one of the few doing a scratchbuild of the Edge.
I scratch built a few both full scale and 75% scale down. That’s why I could mention the cut accurate to avoid lining up issues on the tabs. I won’t lie it will take you time to cut up but promise you that it’s very well worth it as this plane is so much fun to fly :). At least for me it is :).

Brett_N

My 1st two that I built were scratch builds. 1st one ended horribly - I never even put electrics in it. 2nd one survived 50 or 60 "beginner" 3D flight experiments before I learned to dial in expo. What's funny (or sad) is I just tossed out the carcass not 10 days ago cleaning out the work-room.

I'll see if LHS has one tonight on the way home, but I won't start the build for a couple weeks while I'm traveling.

I'll document the build on this one

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I'm in. Build wise I'll be fine. My piloting skills may not match up though. Don't expect me to get past a single flight. I can see me lawn darting this one. Ah well, good excuse to build another one😁. The crash should be entertaining though.
@basslord1124 I'm going to be using 4 x emax ES08MAii servos and a separate 5a ubec. No way I'm trusting the one in the esc with this bird.
Not sure about prop, esc and battery combinations that will work yet with the 2218 motor. Do want to try and stick with 3s if possible. Any hints or pointers would be very much appreciated.
Few pics here from I did build it. Just waiting on electrics to be installed.
Welcome @Tonero311! You're definitely ahead of the curve will the build. Don't worry about showing off madd piloting skillz on this thread. We're just here to build a plane, throw it in the air and have fun (and maybe wince at each other's maiden videos ;)). I sincerely hope mine lasts longer than one flight, but I have to admit that the prognosis for my plane does not look good for a long and uneventful life! :p

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
A little bit of progress.

20190713_003744.jpg

This is a surprisingly enjoyable build. It's like playing with Legos! :)

mayan

Legendary member
I second @buzzbomb on the showing off mad flying skills I have flown a bit and still shake my ass off each time it’s in the air. If you fear that you might over control it dial in deflection rates I would recommend doing it mechanically before using it through the Tx. I’ll post a picture later today of how to do the setup.

@buzzbomb nice looking build so far. That’s what I love about this model it’s literally like build a plane from LEGO. That’s why the accuracy of cutting on a scratch build is so important. It’s always fixable with some trimming but just so much fun when it lines up prefect without it.

mayan

Legendary member
Aaaaand... More progress! Here's where we are currently:

View attachment 136049

I'm not really happy with the ironed bevel on the rudder. After I took this picture I noticed that it doesn't quite throw all the way to the elevator in one direction. I'm going to revisit it tomorrow night, I hope.
That looks good to me buddy. What is your take on the build so far? How is it coming along in your perspective? Is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? I am happy to see your progress, and as promised waiting with maidening mine to the day you finish yours, or even better let's maiden on the same day :). What say you?

Alright so here is an update about my Edge. Today I am going to get its first layer of paint done, it’s going to be Lamborghini yellow. I wanted to go zebra but dropped the idea for no specific reason and decided to try go for something similar to this instead.

DSC01875.jpg

Brett_N

Well, LHS didn't have one in stock this week (there was one last week...darn it!) but I'm on the road for 2 weeks anyway.

I did print off a couple sections of the plans where I thought some tricks could work. I'll try and get to those when I'm back home around the end of the month.

Regarding the 2212 + 30A ESC - that combo is fine - 10x4.7 SLOW FLY prop works great. Those work a lot better on these planes in the 1000kV to 1200kV motor range than the 10x4.7 regular or thin electric.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
That looks good to me buddy. What is your take on the build so far? How is it coming along in your perspective? Is it easier or harder than you thought it would be? I am happy to see your progress, and as promised waiting with maidening mine to the day you finish yours, or even better let's maiden on the same day :). What say you?
So far, the build is actually easier than I thought it would be. It's all "insert tab A into slot B" type stuff. It's pretty enjoyable for someone who likes to build. I feel like the build is coming along nicely. It's coming together faster than I thought it would.

I like the idea of maidening on the same day. Weather dependent of course! :)

@buzzbomb - the tail of the fuse is looking great - very clean - I am thinking the same could be done for the Spit? ;)
Thanks. I honestly don't remember the Spit build video well enough to say for sure, but when I built the Baby Blender I replaced the front turtle deck cardstock with foam, and it worked really well.

Well, LHS didn't have one in stock this week (there was one last week...darn it!) but I'm on the road for 2 weeks anyway.

I did print off a couple sections of the plans where I thought some tricks could work. I'll try and get to those when I'm back home around the end of the month.

Regarding the 2212 + 30A ESC - that combo is fine - 10x4.7 SLOW FLY prop works great. Those work a lot better on these planes in the 1000kV to 1200kV motor range than the 10x4.7 regular or thin electric.
Ah, we live and we learn. I thought all 10x4.7 props were slow fly. That might explain some issues I've been having with other planes. I hope your trip is going well.