At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So we have a date, let me know when you are ready for maiden.

Mean while I started the paint job on mine :).

View attachment 136076
View attachment 136077
View attachment 136078
View attachment 136079

I usually do all my graphic work using paint as well however think I’ll be making my own decals this time instead.

Any tips about making decals?
The yellow looks really good. Kudos to @CarolineTyler for the suggestion! As for the maiden, I'm off for the next couple of days. I *might* be ready to go Wednesday. :)

mayan

Legendary member
Just let me know when :). I trust that I’ll be ready by the end of the day with the decals too :).
I couldn't find black so decals are waiting until I find something black. Unless any one has some other suggestions?

Berekiah

Wow so happy to see all of you nice people that are joining us. Welcome onboard @Berekiah I like the idea of the sand paper on the wheel that could work really well in my opinion.

IMG_0578[1].JPG

Well I did find a way to ease up the binding on my landing gear in the wheel pants. Using a strip of sandpaper wrapped around a small zip tie through the wheel did the trick. I've included a picture for anyone who runs into a similar issue.

Also I was successful getting my Edge up in the air this past weekend and have some maiden video footage to share once I upload it later this evening. It went really well after a little bobble at the start, and it is great to have fellow club members to help with the initial flight and trimming.

Using a 3S 1300 I really overestimated how much flight time I would get so I did have to perform a dead stick landing, but it floated so well I just dropped it into the weeds with no damage. It looks like 5 mins is the max I can get. Thinking about using a 3s 2200, even though it weighs 2oz more then the 1300, becuase I already had to add 1oz of nose weight to get the cg right.

Now that the maiden is done I've also started on paint and have the florescent green accent coat done and moving on to a glossy deep blue for the other half. More pictures to come.

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 136165

Well I did find a way to ease up the binding on my landing gear in the wheel pants. Using a strip of sandpaper wrapped around a small zip tie through the wheel did the trick. I've included a picture for anyone who runs into a similar issue.

Also I was successful getting my Edge up in the air this past weekend and have some maiden video footage to share once I upload it later this evening. It went really well after a little bobble at the start, and it is great to have fellow club members to help with the initial flight and trimming.

Using a 3S 1300 I really overestimated how much flight time I would get so I did have to perform a dead stick landing, but it floated so well I just dropped it into the weeds with no damage. It looks like 5 mins is the max I can get. Thinking about using a 3s 2200, even though it weighs 2oz more then the 1300, becuase I already had to add 1oz of nose weight to get the cg right.

Now that the maiden is done I've also started on paint and have the florescent green accent coat done and moving on to a glossy deep blue for the other half. More pictures to come.
Yeah baby that's what I am talking about. Let us see that footage. Happy that your maiden went well :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Spent much of the morning working on the Edge. Pictures will be uploaded later tonight, as I'm getting ready to go flying after supper. Question, though: It's apparent that the nose assembly is very susceptible to damage. Has anyone tried to attach it using skewers, so it can be easily replaced, or the front end more easily accessed for repair?

basslord1124

Master member
Well just got finished tackling this bad boy...well for the most part. I'm sure there is still more trimming and adjustment left. I used a razor blade plus a small hot wire cutter. I think the hot wire cutter does good from the foam side of things but it really makes the paper side messy.

fuse struct.jpg

The hot-wire cutter I am using...
cutter.jpg

May not use the cutter for the whole build. But figured it'd make this part easier.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well just got finished tackling this bad boy...well for the most part. I'm sure there is still more trimming and adjustment left. I used a razor blade plus a small hot wire cutter. I think the hot wire cutter does good from the foam side of things but it really makes the paper side messy.

View attachment 136270

The hot-wire cutter I am using...
View attachment 136271

May not use the cutter for the whole build. But figured it'd make this part easier.
You've already got the hard part out of the way. I hadn't thought of a hot wire cutter. Considering that part of the fuse is buried on the inside, that's not a bad idea at all! :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I had some build time today. When I got to the hatch, I realized why the nose piece had to be glued in.

20190716_004726.jpg

The fuse came out pretty good. Not everything is flush, but I'm pleased with it. I've started on the wings, but it's late, and I had to stop. I hope to finish tomorrow. :)

mayan

Legendary member
@basslord1124 love the idea of using a hot wire to make the cuts, great idea.

@Berekiah nice job on the maiden seemed like you were nervous but you did really good. Nice start on the paint job, waiting to see the final version. Next up is 3D flying?!

@buzzbomb your build looks super clean great job. Also looks like your hatch sits better than mine :).