At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

basslord1124

Master member
Nice flight @Berekiah ! Your field's got patches of sand, and ours has holes created by some of our wildlife.

Thanks guys on the hot wire cutter. It made all those little holes a little bit easier to deal with.

Got some formers and other small pieces to cut.
edge-beginning-pieces.jpg

Also hoping to get the first pieces glued today. Gonna give Titebond a try. I think I will use hot glue on the bottom part of the fuse in case I need to make mods/changes for the landing gear.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
@mayan, I'm going to try to move my maiden up to today. We've got heavy winds forecast for tomorrow. If not today, it'll have to be next week, and who knows what the weather will be like then.

That'll put my maiden flight at about six hours from this posting, video uploaded a few hours after that. You think you'll be ready today, or would you rather wait until next week?

Last edited:

Berekiah

@Berekiah nice job on the maiden seemed like you were nervous but you did really good. Nice start on the paint job, waiting to see the final version. Next up is 3D flying?!

Actually I wasn't too nervous at all, but then again I wasn't the one flying. Nice thing being part of a club is I can hand off the maiden to our most experienced pilots to make sure it has the best chance to survive trimming and getting air worthy. Luckily this one was very close to being setup so didn't take a lot of trim.

After the maiden one of our better 3D pilots took it up and put it through its paces, and found it was still a bit tail heavy. Fixed that and I then put it up myself. The whole experience has been great so far and getting fellow club members involved makes it even more enjoyable for all.

Not sure how fast I'll get up to speed with 3D flying, but at least with this I have something capable to try with :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Actually I wasn't too nervous at all, but then again I wasn't the one flying. Nice thing being part of a club is I can hand off the maiden to our most experienced pilots to make sure it has the best chance to survive trimming and getting air worthy. Luckily this one was very close to being setup so didn't take a lot of trim.

After the maiden one of our better 3D pilots took it up and put it through its paces, and found it was still a bit tail heavy. Fixed that and I then put it up myself. The whole experience has been great so far and getting fellow club members involved makes it even more enjoyable for all.

Not sure how fast I'll get up to speed with 3D flying, but at least with this I have something capable to try with :)
I suspect the fact you've got people near you who fly 3D will dramatically shorten the learning curve! ;) Not like us poor saps who are trying to learn by watching videos! :LOL: You've got some great flying and learning time ahead of you.

Happy flying and keep the video coming! :)

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
*sigh* I'm not going to make it in time. I'm going to have to hope the wind forecast is wrong for tomorrow or try again on Monday. That being said, I've a question. @mayan, remembering your previous experience as a relatively new pilot trying to fly the Edge, which holes on the servo arms and control horns do you think I should start with?

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan, I'm going to try to move my maiden up to today. We've got heavy winds forecast for tomorrow. If not today, it'll have to be next week, and who knows what the weather will be like then.

That'll put my maiden flight at about six hours from this posting, video uploaded a few hours after that. You think you'll be ready today, or would you rather wait until next week?
No worries man maiden you shall and I'll follow and wrap you and @kilroy07 with my maiden video after I get the decals on :).

mayan

Legendary member

So where is the video of you flying?

mayan

Legendary member
*sigh* I'm not going to make it in time. I'm going to have to hope the wind forecast is wrong for tomorrow or try again on Monday. That being said, I've a question. @mayan, remembering your previous experience as a relatively new pilot trying to fly the Edge, which holes on the servo arms and control horns do you think I should start with?
Like this. It will give you very genetly flying but still rolls will be fast and loops tight it just won't be as responsive on turns. Regardless dial in 30% expos and be genetle with the sticks unless you are trying to lawn dart :).

087399C2-9EFC-4158-8F35-759CAA86ABA5.jpeg

Berekiah

So where is the video of you flying?

Sadly didn't get video of my flight, but will try and get someone to get it for me next time I'm out to the field and have the Edge fully decked out. My flight was fairly similar to the maiden just shaking it down except for dropping it in the weeds when I ran the battery out :)

It will be a while though before I can get back out to fly as I have no free time for the next two weekends when I can usually fly. Till then its just glamour shots from me.

mayan

Legendary member
Alright so my Edge is ready but still missing the decals which I do want to have on before my maiden. WTF @buzzbomb is ready to maiden as well, I thought he said it would take while, too be ready. Any ways we wanted to maiden together but if it doesn't work out, there is no peasure there.

More from my side soon...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Alright so my Edge is ready but still missing the decals which I do want to have on before my maiden. WTF @buzzbomb is ready to maiden as well, I thought he said it would take while, too be ready. Any ways we wanted to maiden together but if it doesn't work out, there is no peasure there.

More from my side soon...
It went together much quicker than I'd anticipated. Having a couple days off in a row, with time to build, definitely helped. ;) I'll finish it up tonight. We'll just have to see what the weather is tomorrow. I'll put up pics when it's done. :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
View attachment 136165

Well I did find a way to ease up the binding on my landing gear in the wheel pants. Using a strip of sandpaper wrapped around a small zip tie through the wheel did the trick. I've included a picture for anyone who runs into a similar issue.

Also I was successful getting my Edge up in the air this past weekend and have some maiden video footage to share once I upload it later this evening. It went really well after a little bobble at the start, and it is great to have fellow club members to help with the initial flight and trimming.

Using a 3S 1300 I really overestimated how much flight time I would get so I did have to perform a dead stick landing, but it floated so well I just dropped it into the weeds with no damage. It looks like 5 mins is the max I can get. Thinking about using a 3s 2200, even though it weighs 2oz more then the 1300, becuase I already had to add 1oz of nose weight to get the cg right.

Now that the maiden is done I've also started on paint and have the florescent green accent coat done and moving on to a glossy deep blue for the other half. More pictures to come.

Can’t wait to watch the maiden!

I’m also going with a fluorescent paint scheme. But that’ll have to wait as I’m traveling quite a bit this month!

I flew mine with a 2200 3s battery. I think I’m going to try 4s next time I take her up

Last edited:

kilroy07

Legendary member
So we have a date, let me know when you are ready for maiden.

Mean while I started the paint job on mine :).

View attachment 136076
View attachment 136077
View attachment 136078
View attachment 136079

I usually do all my graphic work using paint as well however think I’ll be making my own decals this time instead.

Any tips about making decals?

I really like the yellow!!
Should make it easy to spot in the tall grass!

I’ve got a cricut for decals.... you could do them by hand (just don’t cut all the way through the vinyl )
I’ve also printed designs out on my color laser then stuck them down with thinned white glue. Rubber cement would work for inkjet.
Then there’s always the old standby of painting them by hand.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ok, here she is!

20190717_015029.jpg

She's all set and ready to go! I was hoping to have some color on her with the wing tape by this point. Unfortunately I've spent the last many hours troubleshooting an electrical issue. I was doing a final checkout and the ailerons would work for a bit and then just stop. I'd never seen that happen before. After much skull banging and troubleshooting I started swapping parts.

I swapped receivers, remade the model in the TX, swapped out extension leads and everything else I could think of.

The problem turned out to be a faulty ESC. A brand new 40amp esc I'd purchased just for this plane. Nope, recalibrating didn't help. I was still getting brownouts. Darn It! If you've built this plane before, you know how buried the esc is. I managed to get it out of there and put in the 30amp I'd purchased for the upcoming Spitfire build. I'd been flying it in the X2, so I new it was good.

Final checkout and all is good. Problem solved. Finally.

She weighs in a bit heavy at 699 grams dry. I figured she'd be overweight a bit. Some of the foamboard I was using was unusually dense and heavier than normal. I've decided not to use my pretty red prop spinner because of it. That would add another 33 grams.

I've got two 1300mAh batts I can use. I'm not sure, weight-wise about using my 2200's. I'd like to. That would give me more batteries I can fly!

I've got some more programming to do in the trans tomorrow before I fly, but if the weather cooperates she'll be maidening tomorrow evening! :)

kilroy07

Legendary member
I’ll weigh mine when I return home this weekend. You’ll appreciate the stiffer foamboard on the control surfaces.

Great build btw, your nose/hatch joint looks much nicer than mine..... 😕

Do you have an option to go with a separate BEC?
I put 4 metal gear digital servos in mine, so I made sure to have a dedicated power source.

I needed a bit of power with a 2216 on a 3cell battery, but I think that had more to do with the motor shaft rubbing on the battery than anything else.

Just remember, she doesn’t have any self righting tendencies and she’ll do just what you tell her, even if it’s “fly into the ground”.... 😂

I honestly can’t wait to get back home to fly her again!

Berekiah

Can’t wait to watch the maiden!

I’m also going with a fluorescent paint scheme. But that’ll have to wait as I’m traveling quite a bit this month!

I flew mine with a 2200 3s battery. I think I’m going to try 4s next time I take her up

You may have missed it, but I did post the maiden for my Edge a few days ago.

Since then I have been painting and now have the wing finished and looking pretty good. Pics below.

Thanks for letting me know about using the 2200 3s. I may still try that though I have more 1300's in my inventory and am saving my 2200's for my next build. The master series corsair. I'm really looking forward to that one.

IMG_0583[1].JPG IMG_0585[1].JPG