At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

mayan

Legendary member
You may have missed it, but I did post the maiden for my Edge a few days ago.

Since then I have been painting and now have the wing finished and looking pretty good. Pics below.

Thanks for letting me know about using the 2200 3s. I may still try that though I have more 1300's in my inventory and am saving my 2200's for my next build. The master series corsair. I'm really looking forward to that one.

View attachment 136400 View attachment 136401
Looking good :).

kilroy07

Legendary member
Thanks for letting me know about using the 2200 3s. I may still try that though I have more 1300's in my inventory and am saving my 2200's for my next build. The master series corsair. I'm really looking forward to that one.
I second @mayan ‘s suggestion, come join us! I won’t be back at mine until this weekend so you have time to catch-up.

You might find you need the weight of the 2200 to get the check right (and they should be just fine unless you drill a hole in them like I did with the motor shaft. 🙄)

Berekiah

Joining us on that co-op build thread as well :)?

I actually wasn't aware of that build thread (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...wool-yes-sir-yes-sir-three-planes-full.59362/ ) until you said something. I will definitely be joining in once I have collected all my materials. I have been collecting a bunch of goodies the past month I have been planning to put into this one including retracts. My first post there should be a pic of everything ready to go for my build. Thanks.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I’ll weigh mine when I return home this weekend. You’ll appreciate the stiffer foamboard on the control surfaces.

Great build btw, your nose/hatch joint looks much nicer than mine..... 😕

Do you have an option to go with a separate BEC?
I put 4 metal gear digital servos in mine, so I made sure to have a dedicated power source.

I needed a bit of power with a 2216 on a 3cell battery, but I think that had more to do with the motor shaft rubbing on the battery than anything else.

Just remember, she doesn’t have any self righting tendencies and she’ll do just what you tell her, even if it’s “fly into the ground”.... 😂

I honestly can’t wait to get back home to fly her again!
I can see your point on the stiffer foamboard on the control surfaces and the fuselage frame. That makes sense.

Thanks for the build compliment. I cheated on the nose. Instead of reinforcing and shaping all the bends at the same time, I did it two at a time. The top center, then the next two, etc. I didn't have the dexterity to do them all at once. :)

I've got a bec on order:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5a-8-26v-sbec-for-lipo.html

It should be here on the 22nd. I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger on the metal gear servos. It sounds like it may be necessary, though.

My Baby Blender Extended is straight wing as well. I'm sure it's way more forgiving than the Edge, but at least I've some experience with it.

Have a safe journey home. I'm looking forward to your next flight video!

basslord1124

Master member
Ran into a small hurdle while doing more on the scratch build of the Edge today. It's the part labeled as Internal Fuselage Stringer (on the plans) and has some formers attached to it...it is inserted on the bottom rear section of the fuselage structure tray part. Basically my tabs didn't line up on a few of the holes. So had to enlarge the holes a tad. I sorta called this piece the "old school ice cube tray" b/c if it had some more formers attached it would look an old ice cube tray. Kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Ice-Cube-Molds-Trays/Retro-Aluminum-Ice-Cube-Tray/B008F9UK7G

My grandmother had one back in the day.

I had to jet before I could fully finish it, but I got some of the holes enlarged. So once I finish that I can glue it in place. I kinda almost expected that to happen so doesn't bother me.

Thinking about going ahead and ordering my electronics.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Ran into a small hurdle while doing more on the scratch build of the Edge today. It's the part labeled as Internal Fuselage Stringer (on the plans) and has some formers attached to it...it is inserted on the bottom rear section of the fuselage structure tray part. Basically my tabs didn't line up on a few of the holes. So had to enlarge the holes a tad. I sorta called this piece the "old school ice cube tray" b/c if it had some more formers attached it would look an old ice cube tray. Kinda like this:

https://www.amazon.com/d/Ice-Cube-Molds-Trays/Retro-Aluminum-Ice-Cube-Tray/B008F9UK7G

My grandmother had one back in the day.

I had to jet before I could fully finish it, but I got some of the holes enlarged. So once I finish that I can glue it in place. I kinda almost expected that to happen so doesn't bother me.

Thinking about going ahead and ordering my electronics.
I was working off a lasercut, and not everything lined up. I had to finagle a few hole/tabs and enlarge a few to make everything fit. Especially where the outer skin goes over the fuselage frame. You're right in that it's not a big deal. My fuselage seems super solid, regardless.

Even if I weren't planning on flying the Edge, I'd be happy I built it. It's beautiful in person. It's a darn work of art. Andres really outdid himself with the design. If you're able, I'd say go ahead and order what your going to need. Once it starts coming together, you're going to CRAVE getting that thing in the air! You can trust me on that one. ;)

basslord1124

Master member
I agree @buzzbomb ....once I had first seen the Edge on FT, I was thinking that that looks too good to be foamboard. Sure enough it was. Really made me feel like FT was really pushing the boundaries of what could be done with foamboard.

Parts have been ordered: 4 x 9g metal gear servos, DYS D2836 1120KV brushless motor, Hobbyking 40A ESC, Turnigy 5A SBEC. I've got some 10" props, although I may pick up some 9's as well. I was debating the separate BEC thing, but I'll go ahead and do it. Better be safe than sorry. The only time I have ever done a separate BEC is with my balsa 40 size trainer that I electrified.

Parts should be in middle of next week.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Well the weather did not cooperate. We had thunderstorms all afternoon. No maiden today. So after getting some chores done, I did some taping!

20190717_235921.jpg

In retrospect, I may have overdone it just a bit, but I think I'll be able to find it in the sky! :p The spinner looks so good, I'm thinking about keeping it on. My next day off is Monday, the 22nd. We'll see what the weather does! :)

mayan

Legendary member
Well the weather did not cooperate. We had thunderstorms all afternoon. No maiden today. So after getting some chores done, I did some taping!

View attachment 136445

In retrospect, I may have overdone it just a bit, but I think I'll be able to find it in the sky! :p The spinner looks so good, I'm thinking about keeping it on. My next day off is Monday, the 22nd. We'll see what the weather does! :)
Looking great! I actually don’t think you over did it :). Monday morning the 22nd might actually work for me too so we’ll see if we get to maiden together after all :).

basslord1124

Master member
From memory 9's will be too small at 1100kV, but I've never been able to get those DYS motors to get me anywhere near 350W with ANY props.

I figure I'll use a 10" anyways...just wouldn't mind have some 9s around just in case. I have very little experience with DYS motors. The ones I did use seemed fine. Really they look like a re-branded Turnigy motor. Or is a Turnigy a re-branded DYS motor? :unsure:

Like the stripes @buzzbomb ...looks good!

kilroy07

Legendary member
I have one (DYS motor) I plan on using in my Corsair build (the day build, not the night version) I’d be interested in knowing your opinion on them. They seem like pretty decent, cheap motors.

Berekiah

Well I finished painting last night so thought I would share how it turned out. Really looking forward to getting it in the air again and seeing it a bit better :)

I still need to put some Flite Test stickers on and then I can call that done and move on to the corsair. I'll still share a video of my next flight, but I have finished the challenge. Good luck to the rest of ya'll :)

IMG_0587[1].JPG

mayan

Legendary member
Well I finished painting last night so thought I would share how it turned out. Really looking forward to getting it in the air again and seeing it a bit better :)

I still need to put some Flite Test stickers on and then I can call that done and move on to the corsair. I'll still share a video of my next flight, but I have finished the challenge. Good luck to the rest of ya'll :)

View attachment 136539
Love it! Looking forward to seeing you on the Corsair build :).