At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

mayan

Legendary member
When I got on this forum nearly an year ago I was not sure what to expect, I wasn't sure what I'd find here. If it would be a cold place with people that weren't in the mood to help others or rather it would be a loving family with lots and lots of good people and a never ending will to help others. I quite rapidly felt cared for with the rapid replies to my never ending questions and the tons of advice filled with love that I got. Today I can call more than a handful of you my friends, and some even good friends.

So today I want to ask two of my good friends @kilroy07 and @buzzbomb to join me in this co-op build thread. What are we building?! Well duhhh it's in the title! We'll be building the FT Edge 540, yep you heard it @buzzbomb you get to build and fly by far one of the most craziest FT planes I have ever flown and I've flown a bit by now ;). But wait there is a catch we don't just build it and fly like any other plane we learn how to make the most out of it and that is fly it 3D.

Since I have expreince with this model, both full scale and the 75% scaled down version I'll be here to answer any questions you all might have. I'll also throw at you some re-enforcement tips that helped me survive my head first hard crashes :). What I re-enforce is the underside of the fuselage the part holding the the power pod and the wall onto which the power pod connects to. I'll do this either using 2mm balsa wood or card board.

I've already built mine, although still debating about the paint scheme, which will have to include Lamborghini yellow as per the request of a few of my friends here on the forum (ummm @CarolineTyler).

262dbb4c-913a-4d90-a01e-51903e7e07ae.JPG

f26de462-f9a3-4556-9714-12fe6169b90f.JPG f2539dcc-131c-4871-9918-1ac22fba61aa.JPG f0cf1364-bcfb-41a0-aed0-a25c6dabb695.JPG 8647fc1f-85e9-4224-8977-2ae58d90e00a.JPG c77f9712-5e84-48d6-acb8-5909b63fa0dd.JPG 69fdb54a-23ed-443f-b448-2d8541b18b40.JPG 6a65a7fd-d5f2-43c3-bd02-7431d3687299.JPG

Any ways hope you two join me and hope others do too :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I can't wait to get this thing in the air! I'm looking at your pictures (nice clean build, by the way!) and I'll have to figure out those reinforcements you've got. I remember your first journey with this plane. You've definitely got the experience to know what the weak spots are. I intend to utilize that experience. Thank you.

Great things to come! :D

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
When I got on this forum nearly an year ago I was not sure what to expect, I wasn't sure what I'd find here. If it would be a cold place with people that weren't in the mood to help others or rather it would be a loving family with lots and lots of good people and a never ending will to help others. I quite rapidly felt cared for with the rapid replies to my never ending questions and the tons of advice filled with love that I got. Today I can call more than a handful of you my friends, and some even good friends.

So today I want to ask two of my good friends @kilroy07 and @buzzbomb to join me in this co-op build thread. What are we building?! Well duhhh it's in the title! We'll be building the FT Edge 540, yep you heard it @buzzbomb you get to build and fly by far one of the most craziest FT planes I have ever flown and I've flown a bit by now ;). But wait there is a catch we don't just build it and fly like any other plane we learn how to make the most out of it and that is fly it 3D.

Since I have expreince with this model, both full scale and the 75% scaled down version I'll be here to answer any questions you all might have. I'll also throw at you some re-enforcement tips that helped me survive my head first hard crashes :). What I re-enforce is the underside of the fuselage the part holding the the power pod and the wall onto which the power pod connects to. I'll do this either using 2mm balsa wood or card board.

I've already built mine, although still debating about the paint scheme, which will have to include Lamborghini yellow as per the request of a few of my friends here on the forum (ummm @CarolineTyler).

View attachment 135735
View attachment 135736 View attachment 135737 View attachment 135738 View attachment 135739 View attachment 135740 View attachment 135741 View attachment 135742

That looks a superb build!!!

Bricks

Master member
When flying 3D I like being way overpowered so when I built my Edge I looked at different 28 size motors as I have a couple of 3D planes with 28 size 1000kv-1500kv motors power is OK running 4s battereis. So I dug thru my motor stash and found a 3514 1200kv. I weighted up the 28 size and 4s battery then the 3514 running 3s same mah and found the weight was about equal. With the 3514 swinging a bigger prop for me I was much happier.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

View attachment 135735
View attachment 135736 View attachment 135737 View attachment 135738 View attachment 135739 View attachment 135740 View attachment 135741 View attachment 135742

I can fabricate that wooden brace you've got on the nose, but it will be next week before I can go and get the appropriate wood. Do you consider it a critical reinforcement?

mayan

Legendary member
I can fabricate that wooden brace you've got on the nose, but it will be next week before I can go and get the appropriate wood. Do you consider it a critical reinforcement?
Well it’s the area I tended to break quite a lot so I just re-enforced it. You could also laminate it with additional poster board that will also strengthen it a bit. I don’t consider any re-enforcing a must just something for extra support for people like me who tend to crash a lot :).