At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

PoorManRC

Master member
Thanks @PoorManRC . Glad you like it. I think I did it more for orientation than looks b/c the Edge is a plane that I wouldn't want to get confused in the air since it's so maneuverable. But I think it's coming out pretty good. I will probably leave it like this for now and may add some other yellow areas if it survives the maiden...like I had thought of the bottom of the elevator too.
I would do the Elevator... If it's not too hard to paint yellow over black! I'm sure you got this. You're at least 20 times more experienced than I am! 😋

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m late for this build, but in a way, I’m early... I built an edge in the spring, but didn’t have the skills to fly it for more than a few min. I put it in the boneyard and got it out a month or two ago. Then I flew that thing hard and had a ton of fun, but finally I put it away again because it was underpowered and I was using up my 10 inch props fast! I got it out again last week and finished up the paint job. All I have left to do is paint the black stripes on the bottom for visibility and then put in the electronics. I hope to get a radial c pack motor and 4s battery in a few weeks, so when I, do I’ll get it all set up to fly. @SquirrelTail have you built the ft edge? I don’t want to read through all 16 pages to find out😂

OliverW

Legendary member
I’m late for this build, but in a way, I’m early... I built an edge in the spring, but didn’t have the skills to fly it for more than a few min. I put it in the boneyard and got it out a month or two ago. Then I flew that thing hard and had a ton of fun, but finally I put it away again because it was underpowered and I was using up my 10 inch props fast! I got it out again last week and finished up the paint job. All I have left to do is paint the black stripes on the bottom for visibility and then put in the electronics. I hope to get a radial c pack motor and 4s battery in a few weeks, so when I, do I’ll get it all set up to fly. @SquirrelTail have you built the ft edge? I don’t want to read through all 16 pages to find out😂
I started to but the cowl was frustrating me then I damaged my templates and kind of tossed everything out of anger. My templates were pretty trashed.

Bricks

Master member
I have the FT Edge when I first built it I was going to use a 2818 1200kv, I have a Watgo Yak with that motor, running 3S it feels under powered and much better on 4S it is about the same size as the FT Edge. I got my scale out and did some weighing of components turns out my 3518 running 3S is about the same weight as the 2818 running 4S and the 3518 swings a bigger prop and more Watts on 3S and I still have the option of going to 4S.

One thing I have started to do is any time I buy a new ESC or motor is it has to be able to run 4S, as I have found to many planes marginal on power running 3S not that do not fly but I am not in this just to fly lazy circles and slow loops. It just is not any fun to fly a plane that is marginal on power.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
One thing I have started to do is any time I buy a new ESC or motor is it has to be able to run 4S, as I have found to many planes marginal on power running 3S not that do not fly but I am not in this just to fly lazy circles and slow loops. It just is not any fun to fly a plane that is marginal on power.
That’s a good idea. For my minis, 2s feels perfect except for the mini guinea pig - that needs 3s😉 and for the rest of my standard sized airplanes, 3s is the ticket. Some like my new big bravo and the edge definitely want 4s, but the ft-22 on 3s with a b pack had plenty - even unlimited vertical. Again, wouldn’t go 4s in the scout or cub, but would consider it for the spitfire. Sea angel was good on 3s as is the versa and old speedster.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Just realized I forgot to include a picture of my edge - whoops!

Attachments

• DFB9B9AD-C2BC-4EEC-AA5D-809CD42FAC77.jpeg
    DFB9B9AD-C2BC-4EEC-AA5D-809CD42FAC77.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 0

mayan

Legendary member

basslord1124

Master member
Running into a little bit of a snag...

Basically it's over placement of the receiver....

-If I move it closer to the tail, I'd have to add servo extensions to the BEC and ESC. I really want to avoid that for fear of that being a point of failure and coming loose

-If I go far forward, I'd have to add an additional extension to the rudder/elevator servos (not sure if I can reach the current one to put a longer one on) .

-If it goes where allthe wires meet, it puts the receiver at about the center of where the wing mounts. Problem here is the receiver sticks up a little and dents that part of the wing. Sooo....the workaround here is cut out some foam on that fuse structure piece to make the receiver sit lower. I figure this is what i'll end up doing.

Never fails, I most always run into little issues like that.

PoorManRC

Master member

-If I move it closer to the tail, I'd have to add servo extensions to the BEC and ESC. I really want to avoid that for fear of that being a point of failure and coming loose

-If I go far forward, I'd have to add an additional extension to the rudder/elevator servos (not sure if I can reach the current one to put a longer one on) .

-If it goes where allthe wires meet, it puts the receiver at about the center of where the wing mounts. Problem here is the receiver sticks up a little and dents that part of the wing. Sooo....the workaround here is cut out some foam on that fuse structure piece to make the receiver sit lower. I figure this is what i'll end up doing.

That's quite a conundrum!! Is there enough Wing support to cut a square out of it?
Or the Tray underneath??

I hope you figure this out, because I've got old school Recievers that are large, and have the connectors pointing up...

More importantly, since I'm not even CLOSE, is to see how you handle this baby!! 😉

basslord1124

Master member
That's quite a conundrum!! Is there enough Wing support to cut a square out of it?
Or the Tray underneath??

I hope you figure this out, because I've got old school Recievers that are large, and have the connectors pointing up...

More importantly, since I'm not even CLOSE, is to see how you handle this baby!! 😉

I think I'll have to end up cutting the tray part.

I thought about just creating a small foam box with some sort of removable top...just big enough to house the receiver. THEN, cut a hole big enough to accommodate the box in the fuselage top tray. And then, just glue this box inside that hole below where the wing sits.

Sad thing is, this is a Lemon receiver...so it's actually a pretty small receiver. I probably only need a few millimeters to be in the clear. :rolleyes:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

I ended up using extensions and mounting the receiver just aft of the rear barbecue skewer for the wing.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
So you built an edge? I haven't read through this whole thread yet... how did it fly? I still gotta get a 4s lipo for mine.
Oh, yes. Skip back several pages and I've got a couple flight videos, as well. It was this plane that prompted my 2d3d idea. I really like my Edge, but I can't fly it worth a snot. It still scares me. That's a lot of effort, just to bring it out and crash repeatedly trying to learn to 3d. So I came up with the 2d3d idea, so I could learn and crash and then come back to the Edge when I had a clue. ;)

*Edit* Forgot to link this one in my sig. Doh! *Edit*

Piotrsko

Master member
Just slow the surface movement down, either by expo, or for me, longer control arms. Won't fly different, just feel less twitchy. When you get used to that move the surfaces more. 3D is just slapping largish surfaces for a faster turn response. Kinda like B**ch slapping the air.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
I had no idea the Edge scared you.
Yep. I think partially because I'm so afraid to crash it. I set it down nice and easy in the grass and had to cut the cowling up to reglue the motor mount. Every repair is major surgery. Mine also seemed very heavy and underpowered. It seemed like it struggled just to stay airborne. I think I've got the power part solved, but I'm not going to take her out again until I've got more confidence in my flying abilities.

mayan

Legendary member
Yep. I think partially because I'm so afraid to crash it. I set it down nice and easy in the grass and had to cut the cowling up to reglue the motor mount. Every repair is major surgery. Mine also seemed very heavy and underpowered. It seemed like it struggled just to stay airborne. I think I've got the power part solved, but I'm not going to take her out again until I've got more confidence in my flying abilities.
So when are you finishing off the A/F Easy Edge, and maidening it?