At the EDGE of the world, we meet.

basslord1124

Master member
All right the deed has been done guys. An FT Edge flight was indeed attempted today by me. I got some good news and double on the bad news.

Bad news:
-There is no footage of the events today. My head camera was acting up apparently. While it appeared fine when I first started the recording, I put the camera on my head, it continued recording for about a minute and a half and quit. The cam was fully charged so I don't think it's that. I think I have a flaky micro SD card.
-As with a good percentage of my maidens, I crashed. Shortly after takeoff. It was almost identical to my profile plane's flight. Watch it to get an idea. Went up, veered left, and then down she came.

Good news:
-As you all know, I was very anxious AND scared to fly this thing...BUT you would not believe the feeling I feel right now to know that I overcame my nerves and did something in the air with it. It's like a huge weight has been lifted. And I have a feeling, the next flight with this thing, I won't have near the amount of fear that I had this time. After almost a 2 month hiatus from flying to deal with some personal home stuff, to attempting to fly the Edge. No sim practice in the mean time either. So...despite the footage and crash set back, I feel pretty happy and relieved.

All right, onto some other details...
I have noticed something else with myself... if I don't feel like I have decent control of the plane those first 5-10 seconds in the air I prematurely sort of "give up". I just get this feeling of "it's coming down" and proceed to let loose of the controls and let gravity do its thing. I need to stop this. I need to keep control of it to see if I can recover it from the issues its having. This isn't for all planes, but just ones that I fear might be a little more difficult.

Crash details... believe it or not, I was extremely lucky. 95% of the aircraft is still in tact. The only issues are a crumpled power pod with detached firewall, and the cowl is a little jacked up. The wood firewall still appears in tact and I'm thinking I can repair/reshape the cowl without having to redo it. I more than likely will have to remove the cowl to work on the pod though. Don't have any pics, but will post them soon.

mayan

Legendary member
All right the deed has been done guys. An FT Edge flight was indeed attempted today by me. I got some good news and double on the bad news.

Bad news:
-There is no footage of the events today. My head camera was acting up apparently. While it appeared fine when I first started the recording, I put the camera on my head, it continued recording for about a minute and a half and quit. The cam was fully charged so I don't think it's that. I think I have a flaky micro SD card.
-As with a good percentage of my maidens, I crashed. Shortly after takeoff. It was almost identical to my profile plane's flight. Watch it to get an idea. Went up, veered left, and then down she came.

Good news:
-As you all know, I was very anxious AND scared to fly this thing...BUT you would not believe the feeling I feel right now to know that I overcame my nerves and did something in the air with it. It's like a huge weight has been lifted. And I have a feeling, the next flight with this thing, I won't have near the amount of fear that I had this time. After almost a 2 month hiatus from flying to deal with some personal home stuff, to attempting to fly the Edge. No sim practice in the mean time either. So...despite the footage and crash set back, I feel pretty happy and relieved.

I have noticed something else with myself... if I don't feel like I have decent control of the plane those first 5-10 seconds in the air I prematurely sort of "give up". I just get this feeling of "it's coming down" and proceed to let loose of the controls and let gravity do its thing. I need to stop this. I need to keep control of it to see if I can recover it from the issues its having. This isn't for all planes, but just ones that I fear might be a little more difficult.

Crash details... believe it or not, I was extremely lucky. 95% of the aircraft is still in tact. The only issues are a crumpled power pod with detached firewall, and the cowl is a little jacked up. The wood firewall still appears in tact and I'm thinking I can repair/reshape the cowl without having to redo it. I more than likely will have to remove the cowl to work on the pod though. Don't have any pics, but will post them soon.
I am so happy to hear all this great news. This time even the bad news is sort of good news, you flew 15 seconds on the Edge 540, great job buddy. It's not an easy plane and you did it, you should feel super happy about this, I am! When you post the damage pictures I can give you some fix pointers if you want? Waiting to hear more about your next maiden...

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

Bad news:

Good news:

Awesome post! Not only did you finally get to fly the bird that you've worked so long on, you managed to unload a whole heap of grief. That is a BIG TIME win! All around. Winner! Got the Big W. Streamers and balloons and pizza and cupcakes and stuff!

The up and veer left? Yep. Nearly all my hand launched planes do that. The Edge is heavy. It does it quick. The trick is to throttle up and counteract before it goes dirtside. You've already figured that out, but I wanted to say it.

You see, I was sort of where you were. Not quite, I had the fear, but my reaction is almost always to go full throttle. It's saved me so many times, and I've crashed so many planes because of it. I didn't let the fear rule me, though. I always come home happy. Trashed plane or saved plane. I know I did what I could and I come home happy. The Journey is the adventure.

That's what it's all about, right? ;)

kilroy07

Legendary member

Bad news:

Good news:

I think everyone of us has a "I'm too nervous to fly" story and we certainly ALL have crash stories!! :LOL:
So first off, (y)(y)

Your tendency to freeze is a natural response and one you can overcome!
Try to build a checklist of what you think is the best response (such as; chop throttle, try to flatten trajectory, etc.) then practice it....(a LOT)
Next time the unexpected happens you will just automatically go through the steps... and... probably crash anyway, but maybe less damage this time!

The one thing I will tell you based on my experience with the edge...
She just goes where you point her... whether that in the clouds, or into the ground... :eek::ROFLMAO:
(all kidding aside, there are no "self correcting tendencies" on the edge... so freezing up will almost certainly result in a crash.)

Speaking of that, don't sweat the damage (Look at the crazy repairs Mayan did to keep his first one in the air!!) besides, once it's in the air no one will be able to see the scars!

After almost a 2 month hiatus from flying to deal with some personal home stuff,
I hear you brother!! I'm up at 4am to cook Thanksgiving for my friends and family (You are all invited BTW) and I tomorrow I fly out again for another week... This schedule is seriously cramping my flying!!! :mad:
Glad to hear you got some air time!!

basslord1124

Master member
All right @mayan and for anybody who wants to see. Here's the only crash damage. The cowl sorta acts like a cushion for nose hits. Prop is still in tact too...which it's an APC and APCs can take a little more abuse IMO.

edge-damage-3.jpg

edge-damage-6.jpg

edge-damage-2.jpg

edge-damage-1.jpg

@buzzbomb ...thanks!!...I'm all for cupcakes, pizza, etc. lol. Funny thing is too, I did throttle up, but it was a delayed response and I did a throttle up when it started to plummet towards the ground. Luckily I pulled up a little so it wasn't a full on straight down lawn dart.

Something else that tends to get me too in these situations. Amount of throw. All throws were mechanically set to be as low as they can anyways. I programmed my radio at 70% low rates and 100% high rates...a very common setting for me. On the maiden I started on low rates and I felt it's response was pretty slow. I probably should've flipped it to 100% so it'd give me extra throw to get out of trouble.

Funny thing too...despite deep down having the jitters...I still was pretty calm during the whole experience.

@kilroy07 .... thanks for the reply. Yeah I've read about planes like the Edge go where you point them. I have flown them in simulators...super responsive planes. Never really did any 3D with them, just general sport flying. Not fretting the damage too much. While a bulk of the plane was built using wood glue, most of the cowl area is still hot glue. I'm going to try my best to keep the original cowl in tact. You can see in the pics, its damage wasn't too bad.

Things are getting better as far as flying time is concerned...although now the weather is getting colder and snow will be a common thing now. Not going to let it stop me though...I have a transmitter glove that works really well in cold temps. The cold does kinda suck for lipos though. We'll be getting back to our house soon too, so I can get my plane hangar back and start doing some building/repairing. It's kinda hard working on planes in a "mobile" sense. Having a random bag filled with supplies you need and hoping you didn't forget anything.

mayan

Legendary member
Awesome post! Not only did you finally get to fly the bird that you've worked so long on, you managed to unload a whole heap of grief. That is a BIG TIME win! All around. Winner! Got the Big W. Streamers and balloons and pizza and cupcakes and stuff!

The up and veer left? Yep. Nearly all my hand launched planes do that. The Edge is heavy. It does it quick. The trick is to throttle up and counteract before it goes dirtside. You've already figured that out, but I wanted to say it.

You see, I was sort of where you were. Not quite, I had the fear, but my reaction is almost always to go full throttle. It's saved me so many times, and I've crashed so many planes because of it. I didn't let the fear rule me, though. I always come home happy. Trashed plane or saved plane. I know I did what I could and I come home happy. The Journey is the adventure.

That's what it's all about, right? ;)
+1. The Edge is a plane that if you throttle up right side up you will always get your butt saved.

I think everyone of us has a "I'm too nervous to fly" story and we certainly ALL have crash stories!! :LOL:
So first off, (y)(y)

Your tendency to freeze is a natural response and one you can overcome!
Try to build a checklist of what you think is the best response (such as; chop throttle, try to flatten trajectory, etc.) then practice it....(a LOT)
Next time the unexpected happens you will just automatically go through the steps... and... probably crash anyway, but maybe less damage this time!

The one thing I will tell you based on my experience with the edge...
She just goes where you point her... whether that in the clouds, or into the ground... :eek::ROFLMAO:
(all kidding aside, there are no "self correcting tendencies" on the edge... so freezing up will almost certainly result in a crash.)

Speaking of that, don't sweat the damage (Look at the crazy repairs Mayan did to keep his first one in the air!!) besides, once it's in the air no one will be able to see the scars!

I hear you brother!! I'm up at 4am to cook Thanksgiving for my friends and family (You are all invited BTW) and I tomorrow I fly out again for another week... This schedule is seriously cramping my flying!!! :mad:
Glad to hear you got some air time!!
+1. I have too add a few things full throttle up with a very little up elevator will save your butt almost at all times. Chopping off throttle at any point next to the ground with up elevator will also lessen your damage on a crash, as it will kinda make the plane fall in place on its belly.

@basslord1124 easy to fix! Don't remove the whole cowl just cut the top side and lift it up like a hatch then fix the power pod and glue back the cut that you made. super easy fix buddy. As for the bottom of the cowl just run a bit of hot glue on the seem smear it in and hold it shut. BTW it does look like your firewall is broken :/.

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
New video on the Edge...basically going over my situation AND showing the little bit of footage that did record:

Thanks for the tips on the fix @mayan . Been so focused on the Spitfire that I haven't been back to further investigate the Edge's damage. But I'll make sure and use those tips when I start the repairs. Yeah the firewall I am 50/50 on...on some level it doesn't look broken, and on another level it does. It's ok though, I got spares. :)

mayan

Legendary member
New video on the Edge...basically going over my situation AND showing the little bit of footage that did record:

Thanks for the tips on the fix @mayan . Been so focused on the Spitfire that I haven't been back to further investigate the Edge's damage. But I'll make sure and use those tips when I start the repairs. Yeah the firewall I am 50/50 on...on some level it doesn't look broken, and on another level it does. It's ok though, I got spares. :)
Loved the video, at least you built it and tried to maiden it. I'll wait for another video when ever you feel more confiedent about repairing and flying it :).

buzzbomb

I know nothing!

You know, there are at least three of us that have mentioned how awesome the Edge is, and how we're afraid to fly it. That thought train is what prompted my desire for a 2d version. Easy to build and no sweat if it crashes. You might want to try the 2D3D Edge.

basslord1124

Master member
Reviving this thread for other Edge builders/fliers. I finally got my Edge down to investigate the damage. Believe it or not @mayan , the firewall is still in tact from its nose down crash.

edge-firewall-post-crash.jpg

Now the rest of the front did not escape so easily. Here is the ledge piece that the motor pod sits on.

edge-front-damage.jpg

Basically this, the motor pod, and the fuselage former that the motor pod rests up against is what got the most damage. I have since made a new motor pod and glued the flat piece somewhat back together. I plan to heavily reinforce that front ledge piece with extra wood, foam, and just whatever else I can come up with. The former's damage isn't too bad so I'm not worried much about it.

So yes folks, the front/nose is definitely a weak area...reinforce the crap out of it. :)

Once I get that repaired, I will re-attach the cowl and be back in business.

mayan

Legendary member
Reviving this thread for other Edge builders/fliers. I finally got my Edge down to investigate the damage. Believe it or not @mayan , the firewall is still in tact from its nose down crash.

View attachment 161174

Now the rest of the front did not escape so easily. Here is the ledge piece that the motor pod sits on.

View attachment 161175

Basically this, the motor pod, and the fuselage former that the motor pod rests up against is what got the most damage. I have since made a new motor pod and glued the flat piece somewhat back together. I plan to heavily reinforce that front ledge piece with extra wood, foam, and just whatever else I can come up with. The former's damage isn't too bad so I'm not worried much about it.

So yes folks, the front/nose is definitely a weak area...reinforce the crap out of it. :)

Once I get that repaired, I will re-attach the cowl and be back in business.
WOW happy to see you giving it another go :).