Attaching Magnets to Foam Board

Cycle Pilot

What are the techniques you use to attach magnets to foam board? Every time I use hot glue, the magnet just gets ripped out. The hot glue doesn't really adhere to the smooth surface of the magnet. I tried using some packing tape over the glued in magnets and that helped but they still get loose. Any ideas? Have you tried using CA?

Cycle Pilot

So I continued my testing...

Foam Tac - Nope. Good for foam to foam but not for smooth metal to foam. Pulled right out.
Foam Safe CA - YES! Worked great. Held strong without any tape. Solid with some clear packing tape.

Hope this helps somebody out there. I'm open to any other suggestions you might have. Happy flying.

shadeyB

Legendary member
Dig a hole slightly larger than magnet
hot glue in hole and press magnet into glue, wipe excess away
Once set smear hot glue over the top of magnet hatch and wipe clean To seal them in place
9D5ADDBC-BF2E-49E2-9FA0-9B6AC0496F86.jpeg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
What are the techniques you use to attach magnets to foam board? Every time I use hot glue, the magnet just gets ripped out. The hot glue doesn't really adhere to the smooth surface of the magnet. I tried using some packing tape over the glued in magnets and that helped but they still get loose. Any ideas? Have you tried using CA?

Put your magnets in from the back side leaving a layer of paper between them. For edges where there is no paper and you know magnets are going to be placed leave some paper to fold over and glue down after magnets are installed.

PoorManRC

Master member
Put your magnets in from the back side leaving a layer of paper between them. For edges where there is no paper and you know magnets are going to be placed leave some paper to fold over and glue down after magnets are installed.
This is how I do my Magnets... The Paper keeps them from popping out.
For an adhesive, I used either Original Gorilla Glue, or Epoxy.

I've found with Epoxy, the FOAM will rip before the Magnet pops out!! 😊

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
There is a mechanical advantage you could use just in the magnets placement and is guaranteed to never rip out under normal circumstances. It you place the magnets on opposing vertical mating surfaces so the magnets part in a shearing motion, (pulled apart sideways, basically sliding them apart). This way there is no direct pull against the glue, depending on the glue to hold all the stress of pulling them directly apart. HG works just fine for this application

(y)(y)
I use foam-safe CA for many assorted odds & ends. It's good stuff.
I use Gorilla Glue for most of my building. In a place like for the magnets where there's no need to deal with the foaming, I set things together, cover with a little piece of wax paper and a very flat weight on top of that. It cures perfectly flat.