Attack Drone????

IanSR

Fear of a witch hunt?

Here's some of the things I've heard about since Xmas eve:

Random stop and searches of people in the area by the fuzz looking for anybody who owns a drone.

There was an argument in the street over yesterday when a kid was flying his toy in the garden and the neighbour didn't like it and threatened to call the police on the 8 year old (it was a Tinywhoop).

Numerous posts on so called local "groups" calling for model flyers to be banned in the area.

Numerous posts saying we should be jailed for life if caught flying.

So called "activists" asking for locations of where people fly so they can go hunt them out and cal the police.

and people wonder why I'm keeping my head down, but hey, if you want to have a party that goes on all night littered with drugs or carry a machete around with you, nobody cares about that, but dare walk down the street with a quad under your arm and expect the armed response until to come a knocking fairly soon.

Besides its too cold to fly at the mo, but I'll be back out in January with my wing "spying on everybody" as one moronic lady put it last month.

Reactions: FDS

JTarmstr

Elite member
Fear of a witch hunt?

Here's some of the things I've heard about since Xmas eve:

Random stop and searches of people in the area by the fuzz looking for anybody who owns a drone.

There was an argument in the street over yesterday when a kid was flying his toy in the garden and the neighbour didn't like it and threatened to call the police on the 8 year old (it was a Tinywhoop).

Numerous posts on so called local "groups" calling for model flyers to be banned in the area.

Numerous posts saying we should be jailed for life if caught flying.

So called "activists" asking for locations of where people fly so they can go hunt them out and cal the police.

and people wonder why I'm keeping my head down, but hey, if you want to have a party that goes on all night littered with drugs or carry a machete around with you, nobody cares about that, but dare walk down the street with a quad under your arm and expect the armed response until to come a knocking fairly soon.

Besides its too cold to fly at the mo, but I'll be back out in January with my wing "spying on everybody" as one moronic lady put it last month.

What a bunch of paranoid idiots. Your country has major issues with murder and freedom of speech and they want to protest a hobbyist toy? To be honest i notice many of these 'activists' are progressives and protest it because the media portrays it as a threat. Those people are idiots and have no knowledge generally of what they are talking about. I remember arguing with somebody about gun control and they started telling me how an AR 15 is a automatic weapon of mass destruction. It will go the same way with drones a tiny whoop will become a mass murder waiting to happen. Gremlins will be 'airplane killers'. Never mind that there is no evidence pointing to any of those as major threats a drone strike would be a bit worse than a bird strike and as long as it doesn't hit the engines or windshield the jet should be fine.

I'm sorry if i have become pessimistic, i do my best not to be to pessimistic of stuff like this, but it is sad watching stuff like this constricted and destroyed just for more government control. Drones are a small issue but how soon till the governments go after bigger ones? Just because some unsatisfied cowards feel unsafe doesnt mandate that all their petty whining be listened to.

IanSR

What a bunch of paranoid idiots. Your country has major issues with murder and freedom of speech and they want to protest a hobbyist toy? To be honest i notice many of these 'activists' are progressives and protest it because the media portrays it as a threat. Those people are idiots and have no knowledge generally of what they are talking about. I remember arguing with somebody about gun control and they started telling me how an AR 15 is a automatic weapon of mass destruction. It will go the same way with drones a tiny whoop will become a mass murder waiting to happen. Gremlins will be 'airplane killers'. Never mind that there is no evidence pointing to any of those as major threats a drone strike would be a bit worse than a bird strike and as long as it doesn't hit the engines or windshield the jet should be fine.

I'm sorry if i have become pessimistic, i do my best not to be to pessimistic of stuff like this, but it is sad watching stuff like this constricted and destroyed just for more government control. Drones are a small issue but how soon till the governments go after bigger ones? Just because some unsatisfied cowards feel unsafe doesnt mandate that all their petty whining be listened to.

We had some friends round before Xmas (and before DroneGate) and I decided to terrorise them with my tinywhoop for a laugh and one literally run out the room because they thought it was going to kill them, and these were fully grown adults, I wasn't sure whether to be amused or angered.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We had some friends round before Xmas (and before DroneGate) and I decided to terrorise them with my tinywhoop for a laugh and one literally run out the room because they thought it was going to kill them, and these were fully grown adults, I wasn't sure whether to be amused or angered.

I would have finish laughing and grab a fresh battery n start over.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor

That's how you know it's beerthirty.

Sorry, for my European friends, bier-thirty. :)

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
How about a show suggestion... !!!KILLER QUAD TAKEDOWN!!!

The FT guys fly a DJI and try to knock it out of the sky for under $100.

I favor a Bloody Baron flown FPV and trailing a few 550 cord streamers.

We can send that to Bruce and the poor Gatwick security blokes.

IanSR

You wouldn't need the streamers, I did a combat thing earlier in the year and everybody was FPV and it lasted about 2 minutes, when everybody in the field is out to hit something, it doesn't take long lol

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Not sure over the pond but here they have shot themselves in the foot.

It is illegal to take down a drone by any method as they have deemed them as real aircraft.

Even law enfilorcement can not take one down.

If newer more stupid laws are added I will start calling the f.a.a. to come do their job and investigate every time I crash and break a prop.

Its their own rules....

All you guys over the pond need to do is tell them as messed up as the USA is regarding drones we are all laughing at them for the redicules fiasco they have going on.

All they need is a freakin pair of goggles to see what it sees until the battery dies....

IanSR

It's the same here, that's how I get rid of screaming libtards, I have a nice sheet of paper that has bullet points on about the ANO and also the really important bit about they must be 30 meters away if not under my control and if they refuse and get injured my public liability insurance won't cover their injuries.

Even if Hillary tweeted the airport how dumb they were nobody would take any notice, anybody who has a decision making position lives in their own deluded bubble where they will not entertain any opinion that runs contuary to theirs, the favourite response is "I reject that" as if saying that magically makes everything ok. They'll prattle on about how long the sentence will be for what happened and when you point out they've yet to find anybody and will have to convict the person first, the answer will be, "we will catch them". They didnt even know you could tune in to video frequency if it was using standard systems until someone told them.

This has dropped off the news faster than a hot potato, probably because the media is trying to save face over how they threw the couple arrested under the bus, or maybe it's because even they see there's more holes in the story than a Swiss cheese.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
As predicted the BS backlash as a result of the incident/non incident.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46787730

All these extra measures are in addition to the compulsory registration due this year already, based on an investigation that has yet to prove ANY OFFENSE was committed and WON’T deter criminal users in any way. If I am going to fly illegal drugs into a jail there is no way I am going to have bothered about BS registration.
So in summary-
  • Police can simply seize any quadcopter and data if they have a warrant.
  • Police can force you to land your quad, failure to do so is now an offence.
  • Exclusion zone around airports now 5km not 1km with extensions along the approach track.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
As predicted the BS backlash as a result of the incident/non incident.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46787730

All these extra measures are in addition to the compulsory registration due this year already, based on an investigation that has yet to prove ANY OFFENSE was committed and WON’T deter criminal users in any way. If I am going to fly illegal drugs into a jail there is no way I am going to have bothered about BS registration.
So in summary-
  • Police can simply seize any quadcopter and data if they have a warrant.
  • Police can force you to land your quad, failure to do so is now an offence.
  • Exclusion zone around airports now 5km not 1km with extensions along the approach track.
Did you ever think that it was a deliberate stunt to allow those who wanted stricter rules get enough public reaction to tip the hands of regulators and bring in laws which better suit their individual requirements?

You are correct in that it will not improve the safety of anyone but then it was not meant to!

Here guns are effectively outlawed and yet people are still being shot and killed. Also where criminals cannot get hold of firearms knives are proving equally effective and far easier to conceal!

have fun!

IanSR

I have a theory about it being something to do with the sale of the airport that was going on at the same time, but the mere fact that Failing Grayling genuinely believes extending the exclusion zone to 5km will stop people flying shows quiet how deluded he is.

The only "good" thing is Police will need a warrant to enter property, because the original consultation called for them to have powers of entry based solely on suspicion alone, they didn't need a warrant, which opened up a whole can of worms had it been pushed through.

I guess I should probably hand myself in tomorrow, because I ain't gonna stop flying and I know of at least one person who will be on the phone to the rozzers as soon as she sees me walk out the door plane under arm.