Attacked by a P-47

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I have been following a lot of posts and threads and have been invited to join all sorts of builds. A goblin group build, a mustang build a p-38 and even an A-10 build. ALl of which sound really fun, but i told myself i wanted a nice slow high-wing plane like a cub or storch, maybe a bushwacker. so I listened to none of that and started, somewhat accidentally, a p-47.

I had most of the plans previously cut out and it only needed 3 more sheets of foam to complete the job. I just happened to have 3 sheets remaining of the ftfb. I guess i had better use it to finish cutting the parts at least before i accidentally use the rest of it on some thing else. I did plan to stop there.

but I received from my parents, er i mean Santa, a gorgeous new large cutting mat. I couldn't stop using it. I cut all the score lines cleared out the channels even did the beveling.

mat.jpg

very quickly turned into this

parts.jpg

That was yesterday, today, .. ill post about today soon...

-J

mach1 rc

Master member
I have been following a lot of posts and threads and have been invited to join all sorts of builds. A goblin group build, a mustang build a p-38 and even an A-10 build. ALl of which sound really fun, but i told myself i wanted a nice slow high-wing plane like a cub or storch, maybe a bushwacker. so I listened to none of that and started, somewhat accidentally, a p-47.

I had most of the plans previously cut out and it only needed 3 more sheets of foam to complete the job. I just happened to have 3 sheets remaining of the ftfb. I guess i had better use it to finish cutting the parts at least before i accidentally use the rest of it on some thing else. I did plan to stop there.

but I received from my parents, er i mean Santa, a gorgeous new large cutting mat. I couldn't stop using it. I cut all the score lines cleared out the channels even did the beveling.

View attachment 152683

very quickly turned into this

View attachment 152684

That was yesterday, today, .. ill post about today soon...

-J
Cool project!!! The p-47 is the only master series I haven't built.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I like this, It's the plane I said I would do as my first M.S. and I was considering on waiting for the Spit to get released. But now looking at where you are at has inspired the desire to get my mind stuck on the P-47 again. Damn you :mad::devilish::ROFLMAO:

Zetoyoc

Elite member
Phew chores done, why do I have so many fish tanks to clean.. anyway, time to get this thread caught up with my building today.

The foam was cut. But I still needed the wood for the spars and other bits. 4 stores later o could not find the called for 3/32 ply or any other wood in the dimensions needed so I settled for some 1/8" ply. I tad heavier but stronger . It'll have to do.

I was going to leave it at that
All the parts needed and wait. But then I picked up this.

IMG_20191230_213405_resize_77.jpg

My old glue gun had a broken spring so the trigger wouldn't reset and it took 20min to heat up sufficiently. Ok who was I kidding. This needed to be used and tested on the only plane I had ready. The P-47 was getting built. :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I got the pro 200 as a Christmas gift! Looks like I need to put it to good use! Mind if I post my progress here? I know it’s not technically a group build, but I’m in! I actually have part of the plans printed already. It’s going to be long build like the P-38, and I’ll spread it over a couple weeks, but I’m doing it!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
the build video starts with the wings so, i also started there. Pretty straight forward stuff I thought. but as i mentioned earlier I previously cut all the parts from plans and scored and hollowed and did everything i needed to to be ready to keep up withthe video. this was a mistake
in the plans for the wing there are black cut marks for I assume now flaps. there wasn't a mention of this option on the plans or a mention i have seen so far in the video. So my wing has an extra two cuts in it and a bit of a dip where the flap score line is. Maybe ill go back some day and cut it free and make the flaps. but for now sigh a bit frustrated but moving on.

IMG_20191229_224956.jpg
IMG_20191229_233808.jpg

It was shortly after this when I was told that there was an addendum to the plans. there again was no mention of this in the plans or in store download area. It turns out one of the parts is not correct. and in the plans it is still not correct and there is an additional file i needed to download print and cut out. I do not have any more ftfb. I got a little whiny , more frustrated and then took a nap because that is the best thing at this point, start over lol

Later I remembered i had some off cuts form another project that might be big enough. It was just big enough, I was back to work.

The very next step required forming the power pod and battery box. guess what, the battery box is not correct either. one edge is about 5mm too long. easy enough to fix. but at this point my high expectations of a master series build were dropping. at this point nothing is going to be taken for granted and I am proceeding as if this is a beta build, expectations firmly adjusted I can have fun with this again :)

sorry no photos of this time period.

the rest has gone pretty well. a few things i have learned. hot glue is still hot when it come out of the gun and blue tape is great stuff. a bit too great when that hot glue seeps through the seam and into the blue tape :)

IMG_20191230_203739.jpg
IMG_20191230_203659.jpg

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I like this, It's the plane I said I would do as my first M.S. and I was considering on waiting for the Spit to get released. But now looking at where you are at has inspired the desire to get my mind stuck on the P-47 again. Damn you :mad::devilish::ROFLMAO:

I got the pro 200 as a Christmas gift! Looks like I need to put it to good use! Mind if I post my progress here? I know it’s not technically a group build, but I’m in! I actually have part of the plans printed already. It’s going to be long build like the P-38, and I’ll spread it over a couple weeks, but I’m doing it!

I am happy to have you two building here as well. At the rate I am going I may be done with mine in short order. @The Hangar how many builds are you doing at once these days? :) Hopefully my mistakes will be a benefit to anyone following me.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I am happy to have you two building here as well. At the rate I am going I may be done with mine in short order. @The Hangar how many builds are you doing at once these days? :) Hopefully my mistakes will be a benefit to anyone following me.
Yeah, the info you gave is very helpful. How many builds? I'm actually not sure! :ROFLMAO: I'm still trying to get the mini Mustang to fly well, I have the standard ft Mustang almost ready to go and maiden on new years. I have the P-38 on hold while I wait for electronics. I also have a FB ultra stick I have half completed. I'm also going to do a vector soon as well as a sportster. I also really want to do the Corsair and will definitely doing the new master series every time they come out, and it looks like we have some good ones around the corner! :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Build looks great man, nice and slick! and it went pretty quick once everything was cut out. Nice work. I will definitely be using this thread for my build, thx :D(y)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am done for the night. A few more pictures to show. Next steps were the tail section. nothing too difficult. one former a flyswatter and a dunce cap.

IMG_20191230_231426.jpg

first you are told to make the fly swatter and former by gluing like shaped bits together. then you are asked to form the dunce cap. then next step shows fitting the two together. I still had three pieces. I actually caught myself putting the flyswatter into the cap and wondering why it was so loose. ah the former that I wasn't told to put on the flyswatter. I am getting tired, easy to do i don't need them to hold my hand. of course as soon as I try to glue it together I panic thinking I put it on backwards. there is a front and back. I had to look forward into the video some to be sure I had it correct. panic over all is right and I now have a tail section.

IMG_20191230_232640.jpg

i probably would have kept going but then the video calls for coffee stirrers for the push rods. I don't have any of those. I haven't been to a coffee shop in years but around here I should be able to walk blind folded 12 paces and run into one.

so . more tomorrow unless some other thing needs attention. :)

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am on hold for a bit while I rethink things. There are parts of this build design i just don't think works well. one of them is the suggested servo placement and routing of the control rod. if you look in the previous photo the small hole in the former and the small slot near the tail are for the same control rod. I tried several methods of support and straw like things and i could not reduce the considerable binding this introduced. Ill deal with it later , or tomorrow. I need to tear it out and re route the controls. Other than that the tail is in and looking good. once i figure out my binding issue it'll be putting the front and rear together, then it will start to look like a real plane.

Last edited:

mach1 rc

Master member
I am done for the night. A few more pictures to show. Next steps were the tail section. nothing too difficult. one former a flyswatter and a dunce cap.

View attachment 152709

first you are told to make the fly swatter and former by gluing like shaped bits together. then you are asked to form the dunce cap. then next step shows fitting the two together. I still had three pieces. I actually caught myself putting the flyswatter into the cap and wondering why it was so loose. ah the former that I wasn't told to put on the flyswatter. I am getting tired, easy to do i don't need them to hold my hand. of course as soon as I try to glue it together I panic thinking I put it on backwards. there is a front and back. I had to look forward into the video some to be sure I had it correct. panic over all is right and I now have a tail section.

View attachment 152710

i probably would have kept going but then the video calls for coffee stirrers for the push rods. I don't have any of those. I haven't been to a coffee shop in years but around here I should be able to walk blind folded 12 paces and run into one.

so . more tomorrow unless some other thing needs attention. :)
That's really looking good

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am on hold for a bit while I rethink things. There are parts of this build design i just don't think works well. one of them is the suggested servo placement and routing of the control rod. if you look in the previous photo the small hole in the former and the small slot near the tail are for the same control rod. I tried several methods of support and straw like things and i could not reduce the considerable binding this introduced. Ill deal with it later , or tomorrow. I need to tear it out and re route the controls. Other than that the tail is in and looking good. once i figure out my binding issue it'll be putting the front and rear together, then it will start to look like a real plane.
The control rods don't cross in the tail do they?

Zetoyoc

Elite member
I am sorry for anybody who waned photos of these steps. but well I put my head down and worked through it and forgot all else. Basically I moved the servos to a location that kept the push rods straighter and attached a bbq skewer to the long part of the run that floats in air. so it couldn't bend as much. I did some thorough testing and binding is gone, no bending of rod at full deflection. solved. moving on. :)

after the servos are in it really goes together quite quickly and soon goes form a bunch or random bits to a p47.

IMG_20200101_000805.jpg
IMG_20200101_003746.jpg

the wing isnt attached yet. i just had to see what it looked like of course. :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I am sorry for anybody who waned photos of these steps. but well I put my head down and worked through it and forgot all else. Basically I moved the servos to a location that kept the push rods straighter and attached a bbq skewer to the long part of the run that floats in air. so it couldn't bend as much. I did some thorough testing and binding is gone, no bending of rod at full deflection. solved. moving on. :)

after the servos are in it really goes together quite quickly and soon goes form a bunch or random bits to a p47.

View attachment 152825 View attachment 152826

the wing isnt attached yet. i just had to see what it looked like of course. :)
Wow that looks really sharp, clean. You made quick work of it, have it flying by tomorrow?!

Zetoyoc

Elite member
some fiddly bits some fighting with servos and an accessory hatch,, and now i think it is ready for paint. I haven't decided if ill make the effort to round all the edges or not. I thought I would but it looks pretty good as is. Also i do not like the way the accessory hatch came out and may redo it. but overall i love how it looks.

a fiddly bit
img3.jpg

the annoying hatch

img4.jpg

and the prepped for paint :)
img1.jpg

img2.jpg