Aura 5 - High and Low throw rates

Aaeros

So I just installed the Aura 5 in the mighty mini trainer with the sports wing. I also hooked up both aileron servos to the Aura 5 instead of using the Y Cable. Question: In the build video, Josh talks about adjusting the the dual rates for the servo throws on the transmitter. Will the Aura 5 automatically do this or should I also set those on the transmitter?

leaded50

Legendary member
dont know how the Aura5 does it, but normally its done by your TX (transmitter) , and stabilizer needs readjust to know your settings.

Spitfire76

What I don't understand at the moment is though is how low and high rates are selected in the Aura. In the flight mode tab of the configurator tool each control surface has 2 rate settings which I assume are low and high rates. It seems by default these are set to the same value but if you set them differently how can each be selected ?. Of course you can have 2 flight modes configured for low and high rates but in that case what is the purpose of having 2 setting in each flight mode ?.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Rates appear to be a function of flight mode. I've been playing around in the windows configurator and there does not appear to be a way to set rate selection to a different switch on the Aura 5. So you create 2 flight modes with everything else identical but different rates.

There is one other function that can be set to a knob that I need to play with before commenting on. Without actual testing, I'd hesitate to recommend it.

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The setting I am looking at is the "master Gain". It can be either static, or controlled by an auxiliary channel. Documentation is here: http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura/FAQ#What_is_a_Master_Gain.2C_and_how_is_it_used.3F

It can be enabled on an auxiliary channel via the "Master Gain Scaling" field in the configurator:
1593697487135.png

No definitive testing yet, but looks like it can effectively be used for multiple rates.

LB

dap35

Elite member
The setting I am looking at is the "master Gain". It can be either static, or controlled by an auxiliary channel. Documentation is here: http://wiki.flexinnovations.com/wiki/Aura/FAQ#What_is_a_Master_Gain.2C_and_how_is_it_used.3F

It can be enabled on an auxiliary channel via the "Master Gain Scaling" field in the configurator:
View attachment 173449

No definitive testing yet, but looks like it can effectively be used for multiple rates.

LB
Thanks! Let us know when you get this figured out. I'm looking forward to expanding what my Aura5 can do. I actually bought 3 of them so that I was prepared for additional planes.

Spitfire76

Rates appear to be a function of flight mode. I've been playing around in the windows configurator and there does not appear to be a way to set rate selection to a different switch on the Aura 5. So you create 2 flight modes with everything else identical but different rates.

There is one other function that can be set to a knob that I need to play with before commenting on. Without actual testing, I'd hesitate to recommend it.

Cheers!
LitterBug

I found the answer to why there are 2 rate and 2 expo settings for each flight mode. In the config tool i simply moused over those settings and it gives an explanation.
Ailerons - "Set dual rates for roll left" and "Set dual rates for roll right"
Elevator - "Set dual rates for nose down" and "Set dual rates for nose up"
Rudder - "Set dual rates for nose left" and "set dual rates for nose right"

Same for expo.

It was a misunderstanding of the definition on what "Dual Rates" mean. I always thought the word "Dual" simply referred to high and low rates now I understand that it means having a rate setting in each direction of the control surface.

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member
I found the answer to why there are 2 rate and 2 expo settings for each flight mode. In the config tool i simply moused over those settings and it gives an explanation.
Ailerons - "Set dual rates for roll left" and "Set dual rates for roll right"
Elevator - "Set dual rates for nose down" and "Set dual rates for nose up"
Rudder - "Set dual rates for nose left" and "set dual rates for nose right"

Same for expo.

It was a misunderstanding of the definition on what "Dual Rates" mean. I always though "Dual" referred to high and low but of course it does not.
So can you assign the hi-low setting to a channel on the TX that is separate from the flight mode?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Those are not high and low rates, those are Positive and negative throws from center. So if you wanted to have more up throw than down on your elevator for example....

Have both my Strix Nano Goblin and Alatus in hand with the Aura5s to do some reality checks. Hope to be maidening them both soon.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Hmmmm... Still trying to figure out this gain scaling thing on the bench, flight testing required. It does appear to do something in 6 channel mode, and is actually configured by default to be on one of my rotary knobs when using FrSky as RX. Going to have to see what affect it has in the air to be certain. Gotta say, I'm not really impressed with the aura documentation. Plenty of holes that could be filled in like the difference between ElevonA and ElevonB, and some of the other features.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So close, yet so far. Thought everything was set up right last night on the NG before putting it away for the night. Got the Foamtac out and finished up mounting the servos and vertical stabilizers. Stickers are on. Can't get the weight forward enough even with everything shoved forward as far as possible. Maybe I'll just have to 3S this one . That should move the weight forward. Got the ESC endpoints set, then started working on centering the servos/Elevons and found that somewhere in all my playing yesterday, the servos are moving backwards.... >sigh<

HOT with not much wind for the forseeable future. It will get out soon!

Need to massively drop the throws on the Alatus, and it will be ready too.

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: After buttoning everything up and re-checking the Gain Scaling, it Affects both 3 and 6 axis modes, but not manual.

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Got the NanoGoblin maidened tonight. Forgot to twist the knob to test the gain scaling. D'OH! Everything went good, other than my trims were way off. Going to adjust the pushrods and hopefully take it back out tomorrow. Air was fairly bumpy, and the leveling mode was really nice for landing, other than the fact that I need to ascend and descend at higher angles of attack. High rate mode was WAY to high rates, so I'm hoping the gain scaling works. (think it was set to 2X.

Cheers!
LitterBug

dhall224

Yes you can set Dual Rates and Expos from your TX in the config tool. First thing I did and it works fine. Under Setup/Model Setup> Use Aura Dual Rates and Expo: On/Off.

My question is concerning 6 axis mode. I have a FT Cruiser set up with FPV. This plane is kind of squirrely and I need stabilization help flying it until I get proficient under the goggles. I have an Aura 5 installed and set up in it. The problem is that in 6 axis mode it takes 200 yards to turn it around as it is very restrictive in this mode. I need some more flexibility and maneuverability as well as the hands-off stabilization which is great. I have the config tool running in VirtualBox on my Mac laptop but I can't figure out how to adjust all the settings in Control Mode B for 6 axis. I want to have a lot more maneuverability as will as the hands-off stabilization. Anybody an expert on this? Screen shot attached... Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_6564.JPG
    IMG_6564.JPG
    5.1 MB · Views: 0