Aura 5 lite and use with a 3 channel airplane??

Jp2442

I am trying to figure out the best way to configure the aura 5 lite to work in my scratch built simple cub. I built it as a 3 channel with throttle, rudder , and elevator. I am using a Spectrum DX6e transmitter and i have it successfully bound. Just can't quite figure out how to get both rudder and elevator controls both on the right stick and not sure if the 6 axis stabilization is working or not. Can someone please help?
I also have downloaded the software to my laptop for programming the board just in case I need to create a new profile.

Thanks in advance.

Jp2442

The problem with that is even with maximum throw adjusted on the radio it would not hit 12degree throw on the left input and was binding the servo on the right throw. I am also using the center hole on both servos and when plugged in as the instruction sheet shows for rudder and elevator positions the throws are perfect. I just would prefer both on the right stick on the radio and i need to get the axis switching to work.

Jp2442

Update....switched both servo points to outermost hole... re zeroed trims and sub trims in transmitter... everything is on right stick now. Only thing is I am still not seeing corrections when pitching up or down or any corrections to yaw or bank. Any suggestions?

Dylan F

Leave the servos in the ports that you were told to use in the manual. If you are using spectrum, like I am, go to System settings >channel assign >If you are using the DX6e make 4.RUDD say aileron next to it and 2 Aile say rudder next to it. You basically just swapped the stick movements within the radio. I do not know how it works with other spectrum radios but I imagine it is similar. I have no clue when it comes to non-Spectrum radios. Hope that helped.

dap35

Elite member
I would think that moving the rudder to the RH stick will not build the same muscle memory as leaving it on the left stick. So when you transition to a plane with ailerons you might get thrown off...

Dylan F

I know I wondered about that too but that was how everyone told me to setup a 3 channel airplane. I guess you could leave it as it is and just not use the left to right movement on the right stick. I just move it since that is how everyone told me to do it.

dap35

Elite member
I know I wondered about that too but that was how everyone told me to setup a 3 channel airplane. I guess you could leave it as it is and just not use the left to right movement on the right stick. I just move it since that is how everyone told me to do it.
Yeah... hard to say. So far, I have always had enough servos around that I decided to build with ailerons. My theory is that I can always choose to only use the rudder & elevator, but have the option to leverage the ailerons if I want.

Dylan F

I would recommend just using the ailerons and the elevator to turn then later incorporate rudder in your turns. That is again what I was told. I do not really know if it is the right thing to do. I am completely new to flying. Also to add to the original question. In order to enter launch assist you will need to push the right stick to the bottom center and the left stick to the left. This is true if you are flying mode 2 and you did the radio setting modification that I mentioned. Anyway dap35 hope the control strategy helps.

Bricks

Master member
I would think that moving the rudder to the RH stick will not build the same muscle memory as leaving it on the left stick. So when you transition to a plane with ailerons you might get thrown off...

Thing of this is you are using rudder as an aileron not as a true rudder ( to some extent ) so in one sense it is easer to bank and yank on one stick versus trying to coordinate two sticks when first learning. Then when going to ailerons it will throw a person way off as they will use rudder instead of ailerons to make there turns and many 4 channel planes rudder is not as effective as a plane designed for 3 channel., At least in my opinion.