Aura Lite with Lemon Success

dmdeaton

It almost kicked my butt, but I finally got it setup. Video's and instructions are almost no help. My first setup is a Scout XL with a Aura Lite and a Lemon Sat receiver.
1. Connect receiver and satellite together with included cable.
2. Power up on the bench while holding bind button on the Aura
3. Aura will bind with satellite receiver and then is ready to bind with transmitter
4. Power up transmitter while holding bind button on the transmitter
5. Spectrum transmitter will bind with Aura and then you are ready.
6. Make changes on laptop with the configuration tool and load into Aura at anytime.

I am just running through the steps in case anyone else is doing this for the first time, and I forget easy, so I will document my steps. Why are these simple steps not documented in the instructions and videos? If I missed anything chime in please. Looking forward to maiden on the XL. Looking forward to flying with the Aura and any stabilizer for the first time.

Gbergren

Dmdeaton,

I'm having same issues. Flite Tests videos are not detailed enough to help. I have been in contact with flite test and they have helped with some of the missing details from the videos.
Thank you for posting the steps on the aura. Do you know if the aura will connect to any receiver? I've not found any information about it. I already have the ar620 and hoping I could connect it to the aura.
Once I have this detail figured out I should have a maiden flight on my XL for the first time soon.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The AR620 is a Six Channel PWM receiver and I don't believe it has a serial output. You need a serial Receiver

Gbergren

Gotcha.
Thanks for the reply. Lots to learn about the electronics in this hobby, my head spins from all the videos and information I learn.

Gbergren

So I got the lemon dsmx and in trying to bind it to the aura, I have no lights on the dsmx. Is there a way to determine the dsmx or the aura is the issue?

Last edited:

Gbergren

Lemon DSMX What??
Sorry wasn't sure what information to give. Here is a picture and it was what flite test recommended.

Attachments

• 20230613_181821.jpg
    20230613_181821.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 0

Bricks

Master member
Lemon DSMX DSM2 satellite receiver, excellent should work great for you..Binding if you have another receiver that will connect a satellite receiver you can bind it with that receiver.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you hold the bind button down on your Aura while powering it on, the LemonRX should go in to bind mode and start blinking. I have one of those on my Alatus Aura5 config and it has worked without issue.

Gbergren

Yes thank you litterbug and bricks.

The key is holding the bind button on the Aura while power it on. One of those details that should be mentioned in the video or written instructions. Also I think a warning should be added, in the video Josh from flite test said it is a good idea to remove the prop when working on it. That should be changed that you must remove the prop to work on it, and not just a good idea.
After getting my system tested I turned off the transmitter, and then unplugged the battery. Just as I got my battery unplugged the engine ramped up to full throttle and of course my hand was right in the way of the prop. Thankfully the plane just broke the prop and gave me a trip to the er for 10 stitches in my arm. However, I'm wondering how to work the plane if this is going to happen every time I unplug the battery. Does the transmitter need to stay on and then unplug the battery? I think I'll wait to get a new prop to figure this out before giving the plane another chance to bite. Those airplane bites are nasty.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Generally speaking, the prop is the last thing you should put on when building a plane and only once it is ready to be flown. Normal procedure would be to unplug the battery from the plane before turning off the transmitter. When powering everything on, turn the transmitter on before plugging the battery in on the plane.

I have a transmitter kill switch set up on my planes so if the throttle gets bumped, the motor won't spin while I am plugging or unplugging the battery.

LB

Gbergren

Generally speaking, the prop is the last thing you should put on when building a plane and only once it is ready to be flown. Normal procedure would be to unplug the battery from the plane before turning off the transmitter. When powering everything on, turn the transmitter on before plugging the battery in on the plane.

I have a transmitter kill switch set up on my planes so if the throttle gets bumped, the motor won't spin while I am plugging or unplugging the battery.

LB
Thanks LB ,

That information is very helpful. I have several prebuilt planes that haven't had any issues with a proper procedure to power on or off . This simple scout was my first scratch build that someone from flite test recommended would be a good first build plane.
I'll have to look for that kill switch, since now I'm a little hesitant around the plane.

Thank you again for your help
Gerald

Bricks

Master member
Set loss of signal ( Failsafe ) on your receivers and this will never happen again. Each protool has a different way of setting FAILSAFE, means when transmitter signal is lost the motor shuts off..

Gbergren

Set loss of signal ( Failsafe ) on your receivers and this will never happen again. Each protool has a different way of setting FAILSAFE, means when transmitter signal is lost the motor shuts off..
Interesting Bricks, I have not come across that process before. Since I have the Lemon DSMX DSM2 satellite receiver, that FAILSAFE, is it in the transmitter settings or programmed by plugging into the computer?

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Interesting Bricks, I have not come across that process before. Since I have the Lemon DSMX DSM2 satellite receiver, that FAILSAFE, is it in the transmitter settings or programmed by plugging into the computer?
It would be configured in the Aura Config tool. Since it is capable of autoleveling, in Theory it could even pull out of a dive to prevent nosing in. Possibly even be put in a circular descent...

Bricks

Master member
The way to check any receiver if failsafe is set is to turn on transmitter plug in the battery to plane quad etc raise throttle a bit and turn the transmitter off ( Depending how it`s set ) I always set mine to kill throttle planes and quads so for me the motor should shut off. If it does not then my failsafe is not set the way I want it.

Gbergren

Thank you guys very much for the help.
I went over the manual on the aura and receiver again. I did set it up but wasn't set correctly as you mentioned Bricks.
I found a thread from 2021 in the forum that mentioned how this is a common safety issue and newbies to building should be aware of it. Most of the prebuilts I have are already programmed with failsafe and that's why I never had this issue before. Now I have another cool mark on my arm with an interesting story. Its been fun watching drs faces when I tell them how I got cut.