Austin Texas

tamuct01

The local club I fly with is the LoneStar Aeronuts (http://roundrockrc.org) and we fly at Old Settlers Park near the Dell Diamond. We've got a pretty nice setup there with covered workspaces, electricity and nearby restroom facilities. I know of other groups in Georgetown and in south Austin, but I'm not familiar with their locations.

The other place I fly is the Southwest Williamson County Regional Park (http://parks.wilco.org/Home/Parks/SouthwestWilliamsonCountyRegionalPark/tabid/1576/). On most days the cricket pitch in the back is not in use and is a good size for small to medium planes. I've run into a few other foam fliers out there. As I understand it, the Wilco Parks & Rec is cool with anyone flying RC as long as it's electric-only and you mind all the normal safety rules. I've only been approached one time by a Wilco sheriff, but he was on a different mission and didn't even ask about my flying.

Welcome to Austin! I really admire your designs. I built your P-39 design, and it really pushed me as a pilot. Unfortunately it met an untimely end due to radio failure.

IMG_1425 (1).jpg

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Thanks for the info! Old Settlers is about 30 minutes from my house while Williamson Regional is only 12, so I think I'll start there.

Super bummer about your radio failure. I see you have a Taranis, what ended up happening?

tamuct01

I was flying it with the OrangeRX (new model) transmitter module and an OrangeRX DSM2 receiver with 3-axis stabilization. (I'll have to pull the model numbers later). About 50-75 feet up I lost all control and it turned into a yard dart. The ground was soft from recent rain, so it buried itself about 3" in the ground. I'm not sure if I had a brownout on the BEC or just lost radio contact. I suspect the latter since I had flown in that configuration using my DX6i several times with no issue, and only the 2nd flight on the Orange TX module.

I've since built a true DSMX module for my Taranis scavenging the transmitter module from my DX6i. I haven't put that DSM2 receiver in another plane yet, but the TX module works great with all my Spektrum minis. I have another Orange 6-ch DSMX receiver that it also works well with. I just haven't had the nerve to try that DSM2 receiver again.

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
I was flying it with the OrangeRX (new model) transmitter module and an OrangeRX DSM2 receiver with 3-axis stabilization. (I'll have to pull the model numbers later). About 50-75 feet up I lost all control and it turned into a yard dart. The ground was soft from recent rain, so it buried itself about 3" in the ground. I'm not sure if I had a brownout on the BEC or just lost radio contact. I suspect the latter since I had flown in that configuration using my DX6i several times with no issue, and only the 2nd flight on the Orange TX module.

I've since built a true DSMX module for my Taranis scavenging the transmitter module from my DX6i. I haven't put that DSM2 receiver in another plane yet, but the TX module works great with all my Spektrum minis. I have another Orange 6-ch DSMX receiver that it also works well with. I just haven't had the nerve to try that DSM2 receiver again.

Off thread topic, The orange RX modules don't fit into radios very well and lose contact really easily. I modified mine so its a little better, but I still make sure its secure before each flight. I lost too many models that way.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Congratulations on an impressive depth in lawn dart mode! :black_eyed:

I have one of those OrangRX receivers with the stabilization and it was OK, but it's only been up for two quick flights. The plane had ESC problems, and then was grounded for the winter while I got that replaced.

I've also had great luck with the DIY true DSM2/DMSX module - no radio problems ever on Spektrum BNF or Lemon receivers, DSM2 or DSMX.

DharanFlyer

I don't live there but I will be down there in October for a conference. Be cool to grab a beverage or maybe fly if I have the time and it works out.

Ray K

Ray K
West Memorial section of Houston for me, not far from Bush Park. Been here since 2004, same house. Seems like quite a few Texicans on here.

Ray

Ray K

Ray K
I'm up in the Arlington/ DFW area. Let me know if you are ever in the area, and I'll open up the club field for you.

Thanks, Delta. I don't get to Austin (or anywhere else, for that matter, LOL) much these days and usually fly in to Austin Executive on the north-side. Interesting that you chose F106 as your user name. I flew that plane for about 18 months way back when. One of the fastest planes I ever flew. Duluth AFB. That was where I learned to dislike snow. A lot.