Australian Pilots at Flitefest 2016

jpleaner

Hi All,

I have been trying to contact the Flitetest guys to hopefully get this question answered but to no avail so far.

As an Australian RC pinot with MAAA Membership (the Aussie version of the AMA), would I be able to fly at Flitefest 2016??

Cheers

Jason

DharanFlyer

From what I remember of last year you will have to get a temporary AMA. And with the new FAA registration I believe you are exempt since you are not a citizen.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Yes, but you still need to register with the AMA. :)

It was a little confusing - especially with the AMA guys not knowing exactly what to do either.

I'm from Germany, registered with the DMFV and have insurance all over the world, even outside of designated model aircraft strips. But they still wanted to sell me a full blown membership... which I found kind of stupid for being in the US for a few days.

I asked around and people told me that there should be a membership for international visitors, but the AMA person I asked didn't know...

So I just enjoyed the stay, had fun with people from all over the world and didn't fly once (well, once with Josh, buddyboxing a Bixler =))

jpleaner

Flitefest 2016

Thanks for the response Balu. I guess that might explain why I have had no response from Flitetest on this.... no answer to give! So I take it that it would still be a worthwhile experience going to Flitefest even if I don't get to fly?

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Oh yes. Just meeting the community, sitting around a small campfire and telling stories in the evening or just looking at what others are building, flying and or chatting about is worth a visit.

I'd still bring some gear - the AMA will be on site, so if you really get the itch, you can always register there.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
Thanks for the response Balu. I guess that might explain why I have had no response from Flitetest on this.... no answer to give! So I take it that it would still be a worthwhile experience going to Flitefest even if I don't get to fly?

Tell you what... You show up, come find me and we can make sure you fly something... We can get it figured out for you. Traveling that far you should get to fly while you are there.

Mike Finley

mjcp

Tell you what... You show up, come find me and we can make sure you fly something... We can get it figured out for you. Traveling that far you should get to fly while you are there.

Mike Finley

This could be a competition... who can fly the "wrong" mode the best (lots of Ausies fly Mode 1)

mjcp

whiskeyjack

Jason,
Contact MAAA and ask if they have a reciprocal agreement with AMA. My Canadian MAAC membership covers me flying in the States as do AMA pilots flying in Canada. If they don't then you still have a couple of options. Fly buddy box with an AMA member or purchase a "Park Flyer" membership from AMA which if memory serves, is quite a bit cheaper than a full membership. WJ.

Lockardian

Not is the US

Hi Jason

I am pretty sure your MAAA insurance wont be valid in the US. And that's not because of the MAAA, its because of a quirck of American law that requires you be insured by an American company.

I am an MAAA, AMAS and Scottish Aeromodellers Assoc member, and the SAA told me that their insurance covers me anywhere in the world, except USA.

You'll have to join the AMA.

Jack