Autogyro for an intermediate rc fixed wing pilot

Beachy Head Flyer

Old , Low and Slow
My father and I are both intermediate fixed wing pilots and want to get into autogyros/gyrocopters , we don't know much about how to fly them and were wondering which way and what to start with we don't mind building or PNP / BNF

Thank you in advance.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Auto-G2. This is THE ONLY good beginner gyro that I've heard of. It also has an auto start which is quite helpful. To be honest, I've kinda become interested in auto gyros after seeing the FT review of the AC-10.

Rich Harris

For a first go stick with a tractor autogyro, their are the ARTF ones at hobbyking and plenty of plans. The biggest problem you will encounter is orientation, if you keep them in close it is far easier.

As a taster here is a link to a video of me flying my new design, it is lightly loaded and flies well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTFOVrGzn5o

Rich

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Definitely the Auto-G(2). Mine flew better with the prerotator removed, because less weight. If you want to build one yourself, I've made one using FT techniques (shameless plug).

The hardest thing is launching, I've had most luck with handlaunches. Make absolutely SURE the blades are up to speed (make a whirling sound) before you toss it.

ZoomNBoom

Ive got to ask: whats the attraction of rc autogyro? Ive never flown one, but it seems like it combines all the worst features of a helicopter/MR with much of the limitations of an airplane. I can see why one would want a full scale (simple/cheap/safe compared to a helicopter). But for rc what makes you guys want one? Honest question.

stay-fun

Helicopter addict
Because it's cool, and it's different :). Always looking for the next challenge.
(you forgot to add: simple/cheap/safe compared to a plane btw ;) )

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Ive got to ask: whats the attraction of rc autogyro? Ive never flown one, but it seems like it combines all the worst features of a helicopter/MR with much of the limitations of an airplane. I can see why one would want a full scale (simple/cheap/safe compared to a helicopter). But for rc what makes you guys want one? Honest question.

All of the main features of a helicopter main rotor were developed and first put into production with an autogyro. Your question also ignores the fact that the autogyro was developed to help overcome the stall characteristics of fixed wing aircraft.

Some of us like the flight experience and want to fly all types and historically important designs. Why should someone want to fly a biplane or anything with a propeller when jet aircraft are so good? (A silly question even to me).

Real helicopters still have an Auto-rotation mode, (thank you autogyros), in the event of an engine failure to allow them to land safely without engine power.

Please don't knock the design until you have flown one.

They are a historical category of aircraft that predates functional helicopters by 20 years or so.

With all that I have built, flown, and have yet to an autogyro is one of the 2 aircraft on my bucket list.

Just be content with what you do and allow others to be content with what they do. The sky is big enough for everyone and any RC craft they can get to fly