Autogyro throwback video

earthsciteach

What's up, folks!? Its been a while.
There doesn't seem to be a pigeon hole for this topic (at least I didn't find one) so I post it here. I just watched a video from 1931 on autogyros. There was one item of information that was new to me and it may be the reason that homebuilt RC autogyros have a rough time. The rotors on the autogyro in the video (looks like a Pitcairn to me - but all autogyros with radial engines from the '30s look like Pitcairns) are hinged to allow them to sort of furl. This compensates for the difference in lift caused by advancing vs retreating rotors. The advancing rotor, which generates greater lift than the retreating rotor, is pulled upward at an angle, resulting in a smaller lift force than a rotor in the plane of rotational motion.

Now, I don't know what goes into the design of the rotors such that the centripetal force holding the hinged rotor extended is large enough to prevent the rotors from folding upward and clapping hands. The centripetal force part is easy, but designing the airfoil such that lift doesn't overcome the centripetal force is beyond my experience. Anyway, I found it interesting. Here's the video.

Later!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
There doesn't seem to be a pigeon hole for this topic (at least I didn't find one) so I post it here. I just watched a video from 1931 on autogyros. There was one item of information that was new to me and it may be the reason that homebuilt RC autogyros have a rough time. The rotors on the autogyro in the video (looks like a Pitcairn to me - but all autogyros with radial engines from the '30s look like Pitcairns) are hinged to allow them to sort of furl. This compensates for the difference in lift caused by advancing vs retreating rotors. The advancing rotor, which generates greater lift than the retreating rotor, is pulled upward at an angle, resulting in a smaller lift force than a rotor in the plane of rotational motion.

Now, I don't know what goes into the design of the rotors such that the centripetal force holding the hinged rotor extended is large enough to prevent the rotors from folding upward and clapping hands. The centripetal force part is easy, but designing the airfoil such that lift doesn't overcome the centripetal force is beyond my experience. Anyway, I found it interesting. Here's the video.

Later!

He's BACK! Hi Pat. :D

I see you just wanted to light the curiosilty fire, and see who comes to stomp it out huh. You bring up great questions. Questions I will now have to dive into. Thanks!

Glad to see you posting here again.

This vid covers how the forces play out that allow an Autogyroplane to fly

[If you have ever been to the greek food truck and order a Gyro (Ji-rho), you will be corrected sharply Gyro (Yee-ro)]
1664897746372.png

Last edited:

Bo123

Elite member
He's BACK! Hi Pat. :D

I see you just wanted to light the curiosilty fire, and see who comes to stomp it out huh. You bring up great questions. Questions I will now have to dive into. Thanks!

Glad to see you posting here again.

This vid covers how the forces play out that allow an Autogyroplane to fly

[If you have ever been to the greek food truck and order a Gyro (Ji-rho), you will be corrected sharply Gyro (Yee-ro)]
View attachment 230889
I love how the thumbnail says its not powered by en engine. I know they mean the rotor, but its still funny to see an engine right next to where it says it doesn’t 😂😂

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I love how the thumbnail says its not powered by en engine. I know they mean the rotor, but its still funny to see an engine right next to where it says it doesn’t 😂😂
There is a thin white line pointing to the rotor blades... but it looks like it's part of the title graphic only, so I saw it too.

L Edge

Master member
The reason homebuilt gyros are few and far is that they need to be precisely built, keep light(especially all the blades) and need a heli approach to fly them. The Apache on the RCGroup that I built had no cyclic, no motor to start it, my revision to flapping hinges and tracking the blades to get it to fly. If the blades aren't tracked, vibration becomes your enemy. Foam wings are is 3mm thick re-enforced with carbon rods.

To fly it, takes throttle control for cyclic action, plus back elevator and rudder. Crosswinds(like my third landing) trashed my blades so you have to spend hours building to get to fly again.

Trying to find CG

Happiness strikes and with a go around, then the grounds gods got it.

AmbelLiana

Now, I don't know what goes into the design of the rotors such that the centripetal force holding the hinged rotor extended is large enough to prevent the rotors from folding upward and clapping hands. The centripetal force part is easy, but designing the airfoil such that lift doesn't overcome the centripetal force is beyond my experience. Anyway, I found mod menu roblox interesting.

Are there any historical examples or case studies that demonstrate the challenges and solutions associated with designing and building autogyro rotors for various applications?

Last edited: