Aviation Design's Diamond 70mm EDF - Plans and Build

Therry

Thanks Guys!

So the maiden did not go well. The plane developed a glitch so that at full power or changing power to the EDF, the elevator servo went crazy, deflecting partially or fully up. So full power at launch, plane tried to fly straight up. Take the power off, slight up jerk then settled into flight, power up again, plane pointed straight into the air. It felt like a plane that was going from properly balanced to massively tail heavy every couple of seconds. Managed to glide her in for landing with no damage and that is when I discovered the weird elevator behavior. Switch the elevator to one of the aileron channels and it did the same thing. I thought (and still think) that its interference on the signal line caused by the EDF motor wires. Did a little hacking and routed the servo wire outside the plane to the hatch. On the ground this seemed to solve the issue. However, in the air for the second flight, the problem returned with a vengeance. Managed to get her down again with little or no damage and decided not to throw her up again until I had some time to sort out this servo problem.

Oh well, win some lose some.

@Therry - I hope your maiden went better?

DamoRC

Maiden went ok, first attempt she was a lawn dart. Nose in the soft dirt, throw was to steep. Had to pull her out, nose damage but not to bad. Had to give full up. Second attempt little better, bounced of the grass to hold. Third time success, smooth throw, with full up and away she went.

Once airborne it is a stable flyer. Make some repairs an try to find more up throw in elevator. Speed was good 4s 3700.

Therry

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Maiden went ok, first attempt she was a lawn dart. Nose in the soft dirt, throw was to steep. Had to pull her out, nose damage but not to bad. Had to give full up. Second attempt little better, bounced of the grass to hold. Third time success, smooth throw, with full up and away she went.

Once airborne it is a stable flyer. Make some repairs an try to find more up throw in elevator. Speed was good 4s 3700.

Therry

Great! Congrats on the maiden! I am glad you got her into the air eventually. I am wondering about the need to give her "full up". Do you mean that to launch her you have to apply full up elevator to get her to start flying, or do you mean that in the air you needed to trim the elevator all the way up to keep her flying level?

A couple of suggestions - first, check if there is any incidence in the horizontal stablizer that might be creating a push down on the tail. Second, you could try moving the balance back a little.

Anyway, sounds like she is flying, just needs some tweaks and nose repairs :)

Looking forward to seeing her painted up!

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
A pair of Diamonds

Pair of Diamonds.JPG

And some in-air footage...

DamoRC

Jaxx

Posted a thousand or more times
DamoRC,

You do you plan to release a set of full-size plans for this model?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
DamoRC,

You do you plan to release a set of full-size plans for this model?

Yep - at some point I will update / replace the plans for this "2018" version. Kicking myself now because I just finished a build for another guy down at our field and I could have used it as a build thread. There are still a couple of things to figure out on this version though and the plans i have are not user friendly.

I also tried a slightly smaller version where I crammed (and I mean crammed) a 64mm EDF from a Stinger (the older 3S version) into an 80% sized airframe. Unfortunately it performed as badly as it did in the Stinger (which to be fair was a donor plane and had seen some abuse). That was on 3S. I put a 4S capable ESC in and flew it with a 2200mAh 4S and it goes like the clappers. I decided to paint it with the fluorescent green and orange and I was only when I removed the tape to reveal the white stripes that I realized I had just painted the Irish flag on the plane!

DamoRC

IMG_3359.JPG

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
And then there were four....

IMG_0709.JPG

Just delivered another Diamond build to a friend at the field. Really happy with how these colors work on this plane.

IMG_3367.JPG

DamoRC

Namactual

Elite member
Wow Damo, those things look faster than anything I have flown and they are not even moving!

Great job on these, the airframe as well as the paint schemes are the very definition of speed.

Therry

Great! Congrats on the maiden! I am glad you got her into the air eventually. I am wondering about the need to give her "full up". Do you mean that to launch her you have to apply full up elevator to get her to start flying, or do you mean that in the air you needed to trim the elevator all the way up to keep her flying level?

A couple of suggestions - first, check if there is any incidence in the horizontal stablizer that might be creating a push down on the tail. Second, you could try moving the balance back a little.

Anyway, sounds like she is flying, just needs some tweaks and nose repairs :)

Looking forward to seeing her painted up!

DamoRC
Have been a while but today she got some color. The horizontal stab was indeed not horizontal. Thanks for the tip. Now she flies nice. Had to make a new nose, a crash broke the nose.
IMG-20180603-WA0000.jpeg

Last edited:

Therry

Nice ! Like what you did with the cheater inlets.

DamoRC
Thank you DamoRC. The inlets as on the plan are to small. This mod works and doesn't look to bad.
I have to stepup my building skills. A closer look shows that this build is a little rough.
Airleon servos are now on the undersite of the wing. Must be on topsite,

Last edited:

druide

hi, very interesting build a detailed build precess a clear plan. (y)
i will build one soon because is so fun to fly an rare plane in my club ;)
thank you

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Proof of flight. See

@Therry - sincere apologies - I don't know how I missed your post with the video - she looks great in the air and what a landing!

hi, very interesting build a detailed build precess a clear plan. (y)
i will build one soon because is so fun to fly an rare plane in my club ;)
thank you

You're welcome. If you are willing to wait a few weeks I have been planning on doing the 2018 version plan / build. It uses the score cut / gorilla glue / frame approach that I have used for a lot of my builds lately and the wing is a simpler flat bottomed thing wing which behaves pretty well. Also, the way the wing is installed now allows for huge inlet cutouts over the wing so no more starving the EDF.

DamoRC

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I just had a 90mm EDF, ESC and 6 Cell Battery land on my door...
Sadly I didn't have much of a plan for it. Then i Remembered seeing your 90mm version of this in Person!

Now I have to ask, do you have any tips specifically for the 90mm?

For Example: Areas you would strengthen, openings you would made bigger/smaller, or USE Metal gear servos.

Also any single sheet pdfs. are am I relegated to small sheets.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I just had a 90mm EDF, ESC and 6 Cell Battery land on my door....

Can't find the proper emoji so..... "Droool!"

Then i Remembered seeing your 90mm version of this in Person!

Okay - I can find the emoji for this one - :unsure: - because I have never build a 90mm version and have no idea where you might have seen it!

All that being said, I would love to see what this thing would do with a 90mm on 6S. So if you can send me the specs for the EDF and battery (interested in dimensions and weight or a link to the products with this info) I will see what it would take to shoehorn the 90mm into the current frame or scale it up by 5 or 10 % if needed.

I'm working on a final set of plans now (still need a couple of tweaks to make the build a little more user friendly), the I want to build a version according to those plans just to make sure everything is good, then I will post them (probably in a new build thread). This will take a couple of weeks but this is a good time to see what tweaks are needed for the 90mm.

DamoRC

p.s. - welcome back? seems like we have not seen much of you lately?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
dang... who did I see with the Diamond with a 90mm. I thought for sure...right CALI... now I have to think.

Anyway... the 90 mm version I saw pre and post crash was amazing. it looked beautiful in both states.

The wielder of the lawn dart stated that it handled beautifully (as you may expect) and was destroyed primarily due to hot-dogging.