Avoid prop breaks on belly landing

Bricks

Master member
Normaly if you make sure the throttle is cut before landing it is not usually a problem.

donalson

if you can program the ESC to brake it'll help prevent breaking props as you belly land as it's less likely to snag and dig into the ground as you land.

kulens

I'm flying a lot of belly-landers and I've never broken a prop. So don't be worried to much ;-)
Just a couple of tips, as mentioned before, cut the throttle during landing. You can set the brake, but that's not required.

I'm flying a Pichler Speed, seems like a similar plane to yours. What I've don is replaced the fixed prop with a folding prop. You will lose a bit of performance, but that's negligible. The advantage is, once you cut the throttle (for gliding or landing), the prop will fold inwards and you have no resistance. But than, make sure to activate the brake at your ESC.

PichlerSpeed.jpg

Something else I can recommend for belly landers, add transparent sticky plastic wrap (used to protect tables for example) on the bottom. This will protect your plane while sliding over the ground.

OGnapkin

would it be better or worse to turn the brake on? because if it stops vertical, it might snap, but if the prop is still moving while it hits the ground it might also snap from the rotation, so idk if i should have it on or not. do you keep it on? @kulens

donalson

would it be better or worse to turn the brake on? because if it stops vertical, it might snap, but if the prop is still moving while it hits the ground it might also snap from the rotation, so idk if i should have it on or not. do you keep it on? @kulens

if it stops vertical it will just rotate out of the... the thought is that with it still spinning it is more likely to actually dig into the ground.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I fly about 100 hours each calendar month and half of that time is with belly landers. I just cut the throttle just prior to landing and land "Dead Stick". I cannot remember the last time I broke a prop.

Others at my club also fly belly landers, (some extremely fast), and again the breaking of a prop is extremely rare, (I cnnot remember one this year), and they also land dead stick.

If you are so worried about landing and breaking a prop then either fit some undercarriage, use a folding prop, or sell the current plane and buy a Bixler or equivalent.

Have fun!

Namactual

Elite member
Just to throw my 2 cents in, I have never broke a prop belly landing. I have never used the brake, but I am sure it could not hurt either way.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Even if you use the brake the prop will still be able to rotate slowly, ESC brakes are more effective the faster the motor is spinning. Another way to avoid breaking props is using a pusher style airplane like a wing, never had a broken prop on one exept that one time my cousin tried to fly a wing only to have it crash a mere two meters after I launched it.
He managed to break it in half and somehow break the prop which is surprising because that thing pretty much flew itself.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I had to set the brake on my Versa Wing. First couple of flights with it, I didn't have the brake set, and when I went to land, the prop was still spinning due to airflow, even though I had no throttle applied.

I'd set it as a precaution, but that's me...

MtRcAdventures

Meh either way.... I fly both ways and never had a problem.... Only issue was doing low passes, and sheered the tips off both blades in a ground strike near full throttle....Flew around, and landed without incident...

kulens

I have belly landers with the brake on en some without the brake. And none of them had a broken prop (so far ;-) ). So don't worry, just fly! Just make sure to cut the throttle just before you touch the ground, that's is.

hreehoorn

I have heard and read the opposite, turn the brake off. Because if it stops pointing up and down, it will STOP, and then snap. Just interesting seeing the difference.

kulens

I have heard and read the opposite, turn the brake off. Because if it stops pointing up and down, it will STOP, and then snap. Just interesting seeing the difference.

Not at all! Braking doesn't have the effect that the prop is locked in the position, so it can still turn easily if needed. Also by the shape of the prop, once it will touch something (ex. the ground), it'll move sideways as well. But hey, it's your setup, do what you think is best for your setup.

hreehoorn

Also from the numbers of actual breakages from normal belly landings people are staring, brake on or off, it’s a wash. So yea fly how you feel safe!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The simple thing you are all missing is that not all props are equal.

Some props are extremely rigid and others are very pliable. If you are having problems breaking props when landing and you are landing with zero throttle, then you should source a more flexible prop which can survive the minor impact of blade tip on the ground. There are a great number of prop designs used for Quads now and many are quite resilient to impact.

Have fun!

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
you are gonna love that plane, assuming you like speed. on 4S it is very quick. i have an EFX Racer that i have upgraded to the Extra motor and prop. flew it today for the first time in quite awhile. the guy i had launch for me limp wristed it and the plane actually did a touch and go on take off. it climbed into the air and seemed ok, so i just kept flying. came back in after 3 mins and could hardly tell on the prop. so, don't worry about the prop.

laters,

me :cool: