Avro Arrow Scratch Build

Hello folks,

I wanted to share my Avro Arrow with the Flitetest community.

AvroArrow_001.jpg AvroArrow_002.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS
Length: 45"
Wingspan: 30"
Motor: NTM Prop Drive 28-36 2700KV
ESC: 50A
Prop: 6x4
Servos: 3x HXT900, 9g

Plans: View attachment Avro Arrow CF-105.pdf

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
Very pretty, I like these Propjets.
With that motor I would have thought you had a Lead Sled, but no!
Good job.

whiskeyjack

Yep Cory did an excellent job on this one. Low parts count, easy to cut and assembly not difficult. I"ll see if I can find a picture and post it.

A couple of mod's you might consider; KF4 airfoil (a little faster), do re-enforce the vertical stab with 3mm carbon fiber and on mine "TY-Rap" landing gear. That helps keep the prop from hitting the ground on landing.

The included graphics worked out great on Avery clear label sheets, just print them, peel um and stick um. Although I built the model I had to have someone else do the maiden as I am still learning. What a sight to see. At WOT it flew very scale, by that I mean it was fast. I am pretty sure you could go vertical with that power set up. The only thing that I need to work on is level flight. My model seems to have a tendency to porpoise ever so slightly. Not a game changer but something to work on in the future.

Give this model a try, it won't disappoint, thanks again Cory, WJ.

degriz

AVRO/ VIGGEN

I used your plan and cut the nose back to add the Viggen nose and came up with this. 20150602_170632_HDR (1)-crop.jpg 20150602_170643_HDR-crop.jpg

degriz

No video, but it's great with just elevons, I was thinking of doing one with rudder.
I have been flying this one for a year now. Thanks for posting your plans.

degriz

I smoked the ESC on Sunday, I don't think I had five flights on it :(

I beefed up the replacement to 40amp from 30 and hopefully it should work out fine.

abieex

Mentor
I just got mine finished and other than me having huge thumbs around the canopy area the plane/plans are near perfect. Great fun to build and Ill forward pics in a day or two. Is it flyable on elevons only?

degriz

I just got mine finished and other than me having huge thumbs around the canopy area the plane/plans are near perfect. Great fun to build and Ill forward pics in a day or two. Is it flyable on elevons only?

I would assume that the complete build would fly fine with only elevons, my Avro/Viggen handles great with them.

C6SUMMER

Just wanted to say a big thank you to RCPrairieFlyyer for the great plans. Finished my Avro Arrow yesterday and hoping to get her out on her maiden flight tomorrow.

IMG_20170121_125031~01.jpg

C6SUMMER

Maiden Flight

Maiden flight was a real surprise! I wasn't expecting this to fly so well! Really impressed with how well it flies.