Avro Cierva C30

Parramon

Now in Spain is not possible left home for the Covid 19.
Long time ago I wanted to build a Cierva Gyrocopter.
I hope go out soon for test it.

Attachments

• DSCN2399.JPG
    DSCN2399.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2400.JPG
    DSCN2400.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0

Parramon

I love everything in your buid.
Are the blades just foamboard or are they enfoced somehow?
Hi Rhaps:
Thanks a lot for your compliments.
The blades are of 3mm. foam board with a wooden nucleus .Its the philosopy of FT.
In my house I don't have the resources and the materials than in my workshop.
I will try attach some pictures for show the build of the blade.

messyhead

Nice model. I was recently thinking about whether it would be possible to build a helo from foam board. I guess you can!

Parramon

These pictures show the details of the blades. For picture I´m using a ice scream sticks but I used a firewall type wooden board for final blade.
I hope this will help.

Attachments

• DSCN2408.JPG
    DSCN2408.JPG
  • DSCN2403.JPG
    DSCN2403.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2404.JPG
    DSCN2404.JPG
  • DSCN2405.JPG
    DSCN2405.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • DSCN2406.JPG
    DSCN2406.JPG
  • DSCN2407.JPG
    DSCN2407.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Beautiful build, I hope it flies nicely as well. It looks like the rotorhead is fixed (as in its rotational axis non-adjustable), is it 3D printed? Are the blade grip angles adjustable?

Be well, I hope things improve for you soon.

Parramon

Beautiful build, I hope it flies nicely as well. It looks like the rotorhead is fixed (as in its rotational axis non-adjustable), is it 3D printed? Are the blade grip angles adjustable?

Be well, I hope things improve for you soon.

Hi Varg:
Thanks a lot for your compliments.
The rotorhead is orientable. This is 3D printed, but is possible make some parts with firewall woodenboard type.
I don´t understand well you question about The blade grip. The incidence angle of the blades is neutral and is not adjustable but the blade grip needs a free articulation for free movement of blades.
Later I will attach a video.

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
I mean adjustable blade grips as in you can set the collective pitch by adjusting them. It is clear that it doesn't have a swashplate and therefore no collective pitch control, but I was wondering how you will set the collective pitch to the proper angle to get it flying. I have a couple of collective pitch helicopters and am trying to relate the rotorhead to them. Cool that it's 3D printed, if I were to build an autogyro I would print the parts as well since I print many things.

Parramon

I mean adjustable blade grips as in you can set the collective pitch by adjusting them. It is clear that it doesn't have a swashplate and therefore no collective pitch control, but I was wondering how you will set the collective pitch to the proper angle to get it flying. I have a couple of collective pitch helicopters and am trying to relate the rotorhead to them. Cool that it's 3D printed, if I were to build an autogyro I would print the parts as well since I print many things.
Hi varg:
Please have a look at this video. I think it will help.
The rotor head have the swashplate function (diferent than helicopter) but don´t have colective pitch. In the latest versions of Cierva gyrocopters they had a pitch control for improve the rendiment but isn´t necesary because the rotor runs like a wing.

Last edited:

Rhaps

Elite member
Hi varg:
Please have a look at this video. I think it will help.
The rotor head have the swashplate function (diferent than helicopter) but don´t have colective pitch. In the latest versions of Cierva gyrocopters they had a pitch control for improve the rendiment but isn´t necesary because the rotor runs like a wing.

There is something strange with video though, it is supposedly 7 minutes long but still ends at 5 mnutes.
Still, that was excellent presentation - crystal clear even when I don't understand spanish - gracias.

Parramon

There is something strange with video though, it is supposedly 7 minutes long but still ends at 5 mnutes.
Still, that was excellent presentation - crystal clear even when I don't understand spanish - gracias.
Hi Rhaps:
You´re rigth. the video goblins moved the audio track of the video. This morning I´m going to change the video.
Sorry for Spanish. In my english would be horrible.

Parramon

Sorry finally, the audio don't runs correctly with the image. I don't know whats happen . The original video runs correctly in my computer but when I upload it, the speed of audio track changes.

Last edited:

Rhaps

Elite member
Hi Rhaps:
You´re rigth. the video goblins moved the audio track of the video. This morning I´m going to change the video.
Sorry for Spanish. In my english would be horrible.
Hey, you are Spanish person building Cieara autogiro so Spanish is definitely ok (y)

varg

Build cheap, crash cheap
Spanish is fine for me, I don't speak much but you showed how it works perfectly. Inventive solution, the whole shaft moves in a grommet and the system is hidden from view so it looks fixed. Thanks, Parramon.

Parramon

Spanish is fine for me, I don't speak much but you showed how it works perfectly. Inventive solution, the whole shaft moves in a grommet and the system is hidden from view so it looks fixed. Thanks, Parramon.
You are welcome. We have to share the ideas.