What do you think?

• Flitetest should build a Mini sized Lancaster

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Flitetest should build a Swappable size Lancaster

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Flitetest should make Plans available

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Flitetest should make a Kit available (ie you would buy one)

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Meh, not really interested in building one

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FishbonesAir

Okay, I'm posting this on behalf of my son, build partner, and fellow Mad Scientist. He and I are, more or less, Pinky and the Brain, in the flesh. I'm Pinky, BTW. Narf!

Anyways, he asked me, to ask Flitetest, if they would do a Lancaster Bomber. The Lancaster is his favorite bomber of WWII, though the Mossy is probably a close 2nd.

Matthew is autistic, so I did explain to him that Flitetest would have to determine if there was enough interest from their fans to actually warrant messing with doing a Lancaster build for their show, much less consider ever putting out a kit he could build. He hasn't quite grasped that just because he thinks it's a great idea, doesn't mean everyone else will want to buy it like hotcakes.

But, here I am, floating out the proposal of Flitetest's first 4 engine bomber!*

* Disclaimer: That is, if they put out a plan for it. The B-17 doesn't really count, since it was a couple of orders of magnitude beyond the abilities of most of us. Even if we are Trying to Take Over the World! Narf!

Tench745

Master member
Unrauv was working on one years ago. Available here. It's incorrectly listed under "single engine" category.

Project Air on youtube built one too, but I don't believe he made plans available.

FishbonesAir

Unrauv was working on one years ago. Available here. It's incorrectly listed under "single engine" category.

Project Air on youtube built one too, but I don't believe he made plans available.

Looked up the PA project. Rather fascinating, and I only skimmed it! Plans are available, but only on his patreon.

I'm going to look over Unrauv's and watch the Project Air videos while I wait for my car. I'm taking it to the shop in just a minute.

makersam

I am almost finished designing a mini Lancaster. If you would like the plans I have made up so far I can send those over in short order.

makersam

Some photos of where I am with mine at the moment.
1675701271370.png
1675701172779.png
1675701202637.png
1675701225830.png
1675701246318.png
1675701271370.png
1675701246318.png
1675701225830.png
1675701202637.png
1675701172779.png

makersam

Looks like it"s ready to bust some dams! Fabulous!
It is getting a lot closer to that. Right now I am debating if I should run with the gear up and land belly in the snow or wait until spring and have a proper go with the landing gear and find a hard surface somewhere to land on. I am kind of worried that I am going to rip a nacelle off or something like that if I use the gear.

MrKilometer

It is getting a lot closer to that. Right now I am debating if I should run with the gear up and land belly in the snow or wait until spring and have a proper go with the landing gear and find a hard surface somewhere to land on. I am kind of worried that I am going to rip a nacelle off or something like that if I use the gear.
In my experience, belly landing in the snow with foamboard is a bad idea. You'll see damage to the paint at least, and if there are any front-facing openings (nacelles, etc.), snow can get forced into them quite easily.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
In my experience, belly landing in the snow with foamboard is a bad idea. You'll see damage to the paint at least, and if there are any front-facing openings (nacelles, etc.), snow can get forced into them quite easily.
I've never had issues with landing foamboard in snow. Just have to have anything that's exposed urethaned and if you want to protect paint use some packing tape.