Bücker Bü 180 Student Swappable - design, build, and review log

JohnRambozo

Posted a thousand or more times
That's okay, I can make the addition myself. I was just wondering if it wasn't needed for some reason. But you answered that... it isn't needed because you use aluminum. :)

I agree with your approach to the dihedral. Less is more until its not enough, then more is more, but not too much.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
To celebrate my first design I got a new cutting pad:

vfueZQ3.jpg

It's a big upgrade over the cardboard box I've been using!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hey guys I found an issue with the power pod placement that needs to be fixed. I did my fitting with a longer can motor and everything seemed fine but with the actual motor I'm gonna be running, it sits too deep inside the nose. I'm going to make a change to the plans tonight but basically the top plate of the fuse will get extended about an inch and the power pod holes are going to move forward accordingly. If you've already cut your fuse then the fastest 'fix' would be to make a custom, longer nose power pod to fit the beta 2.

EDIT:
If you printed out the beta 2 plans but have not cut any foam yet then print out this update. Overlay it over your current plans and you'll be ready to go.

Sorry for not catching this sooner. I had to make a new pod for my beta 2 so I can maiden her tomorrow.

Last edited:

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Updated first post - added change log, more pictures, updated SPECS to include AUW and electronics, and beta 3 plans.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Whew, that was close. I was just about to start cutting. :) Good catch! Thanks again for all your hard work. And congrats on the cutting pad. I have yet to graduate from the cardboard box.

nagromnewo

Hi

She looks beautiful! When's the maiden?

BTW, apparently, the wings are slightly different in the FF plans for the Moth Minor, so if you use those plans, pick one wing and just mirror it for the other wing.

Owen

JohnRambozo

Owen,

He's updating the first post of this thread as he makes progress. He announced in that post that today will be the maiden! I'm just waiting for servos to show up in the mail. After the review on this maiden, I'll be cutting foam.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Whew, that was close. I was just about to start cutting. :) Good catch! Thanks again for all your hard work. And congrats on the cutting pad. I have yet to graduate from the cardboard box.

Oh good, I'm glad you'll be able to incorporate the update. The cardboard served me well, haha.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Hi

She looks beautiful! When's the maiden?

BTW, apparently, the wings are slightly different in the FF plans for the Moth Minor, so if you use those plans, pick one wing and just mirror it for the other wing.

Owen

Thanks! Maiden is today!

Owen can you elaborate a bit on the wing of the Moth Minor? I'm not sure what you mean by FF plans either.

Jaxx

Nerdnic,
You did an awesome job with this design! What software did you use?

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Quick update. Just got done with her maiden flight and everything went great! She flies amazing and I have no complaints. Maiden video and review to follow shortly!

JohnRambozo

I'm just sharing a few things from today. Its raining here... If I can't fly, I might as well build. And if I'm building, it might as well be nerdnics Bucker Bu 180 that I've been drooling over. I really love the shape of this plane and the elegant wingspan. The little notches in the elevator and ailerons are a nice touch.

I cut the wings and tail pieces so far today:

kTRTa8w.png

I do want to call attention to my variation on the standard FT spar. Its a two-fold spar instead of the typical single fold. I test fit them on the wings and drew on the plans (in purple pencile) so you can see what alterations I made. The 50% score cuts are done on opposite sides and I reversed the orientation for the other spar.

o6D9Cgj.png

q6oZavN.png

If you couldn't tell, I'm really excited to get this one in the air. Thanks for the updated fuse plans. This is my first scratch build and its a great experience so far.

Last edited:

JohnRambozo

Owen, correct me if I'm wrong.

nerdnic, I believe Owen was using FF to mean Free Flight because the plans are for a rubber band powered balsa plane and he was cautioning you not to copy the wings exactly since rubber band powered planes tend to have offset wings to ensure they fly in a circle.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I'm just sharing a few things from today. Its raining here... If I can't fly, I might as well build. And if I'm building, it might as well be nerdnics Bucker Bu 180 that I've been drooling over. I really love the shape of this plane and the elegant wingspan. The little notches in the elevator and ailerons are a nice touch.

I cut the wings and tail pieces so far today:

kTRTa8w.png

I do want to call attention to my variation on the standard FT spar. Its a two-fold spar instead of the typical single fold. I test fit them on the wings and drew on the plans (in purple pencile) so you can see what alterations I made. The 50% score cuts are done on opposite sides and I reversed the orientation for the other spar.

o6D9Cgj.png

q6oZavN.png

If you couldn't tell, I'm really excited to get this one in the air. Thanks for the updated fuse plans. This is my first scratch build and its a great experience so far.

Looks great man! I'm glad you're excited to build her, it makes me very happy that others are interested in my nnBucker design!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
First post updated - maiden flight and video review added!

Let me know what you guys think!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Owen, correct me if I'm wrong.

nerdnic, I believe Owen was using FF to mean Free Flight because the plans are for a rubber band powered balsa plane and he was cautioning you not to copy the wings exactly since rubber band powered planes tend to have offset wings to ensure they fly in a circle.

Ah okay that makes sense. I will watch out for that, thanks.

JohnRambozo

She looked great in the air! Now that you have the successful maiden out of the way, you should submit this as an FT Article.

I have a few 9x6 props on hand, so I decided to order a couple 9x4.7 props just to get that scale trainer feel. I'll let you know if there's any enjoyment to be had with a 4.7. :)

Now to get to work on that beta 3 fuse!

I'll be doing removable wings, too.

Last edited: