B-25 Mitchell 60”

1644378305919.png

Anyone else building??? This thing goes together awesome! Some really neat building techniques here - magnets hidden behind paper, and the tail section is super strong! Can't wait to get it done and in the air!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I was going to do the FT C-47 next, but am thinking your B-25 should go first. Maybe something in a Pappy Gunn motif, or maybe a Doolittle Raid theme? Right now, all I can say is that it looks good, Noahangle11. I look forward to starting the build.

PS- Does anyone have any good foamboard plans for a top turret for this thing? I was going to try and modify the top turret from the 13th Squadron Betty bomber, but didn't know if that would be blasphemous for the Mitchell aficionados. Maybe try to melt and mold a pop bottle.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Lotta foam on this bird to cut out. Had just enough of my fancy FT foamboard for almost everything in the plans. The individually labelled parts are a nice touch.

Attachments

• 20220331_215128.jpg
    20220331_215128.jpg
    887.6 KB · Views: 0

SSgt Duramax

Have you thought about 3D printing the formers? The idea had crossed my mind to 3D print them for preciseness and the fact I hate cutting out formers.

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Cutting foam isn't so bad. There's a sense of satistfaction as the pile of airplane parts slowly grows. As for printing...you all are the 3D printing masters; I don't know much about it. Wouldn't the weight be prohibitive if you printed the formers?

noahangel11

I was going to do the FT C-47 next, but am thinking your B-25 should go first. Maybe something in a Pappy Gunn motif, or maybe a Doolittle Raid theme? Right now, all I can say is that it looks good, Noahangle11. I look forward to starting the build.

PS- Does anyone have any good foamboard plans for a top turret for this thing? I was going to try and modify the top turret from the 13th Squadron Betty bomber, but didn't know if that would be blasphemous for the Mitchell aficionados. Maybe try to melt and mold a pop bottle.
A turret would be difficult to pull of with foam unless you carve it out of a block. I was considering making a 3D printed one for mine. There are a few files out there

Last edited:

CrshNBrn

Elite member
I'm really liking this build. Noahangel11's detailed plans are like the Overstreet Master Series Youtube videos of old...you just kind of tune in, zone out, and shape some foamboard. It's a great size, too. Much obliged for all the hard work putting the plans/build instructions together.

Attachments

• 20220406_203033.jpg
    20220406_203033.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 0

noahangel11

I'm really liking this build. Noahangel11's detailed plans are like the Overstreet Master Series Youtube videos of old...you just kind of tune in, zone out, and shape some foamboard. It's a great size, too. Much obliged for all the hard work putting the plans/build instructions together.
awesome to see another build coming together!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Finished building today. I wound up modifying the turret plans (+125%) from the 13th Squadron Betty bomber for the top turret. I'll add the .50 calibers after the paint job...but I might have to fly it first.

Attachments

• 20220409_175512.jpg
    20220409_175512.jpg
    891.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220409_175520.jpg
    20220409_175520.jpg
    866.6 KB · Views: 0

noahangel11

Finished building today. I wound up modifying the turret plans (+125%) from the 13th Squadron Betty bomber for the top turret. I'll add the .50 calibers after the paint job...but I might have to fly it first.

Looks great! Do you mind sharing a link to the turret?

CrshNBrn

Elite member
A couple of glamour shots before she gets all torn up. Build was fairly straightforward thanks to noahangel's great plans. If I did it again, I would figure out a way to make the bomb bay detachable to allow access to the electronics and make battery changes easier. Make your battery cable shorter and you won't have much of an issue of it coiling on the inside making it hard to put the nose on all the way.

I also was unable to cut those cool motor mounts as called for in the plans and wound up using a solid round wooden disk. Then I covered it all up with an picture of an engine from some FT Corsair skins. Probably a lot of unnecessary weight with all that lumber, so you might want to try something lighter, like drilling a few holes or somehow removing some of the wood. I wound up having to add 1/2 oz of weight to the tail to balance at CG with a 3000 4S battery.

Its a beautiful plane. Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• 20220416_222230.jpg
    20220416_222230.jpg
    511.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220416_222309.jpg
    20220416_222309.jpg
    682 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220416_222330.jpg
    20220416_222330.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220416_222339.jpg
    20220416_222339.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220416_222208.jpg
    20220416_222208.jpg
    677 KB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
A couple of glamour shots before she gets all torn up. Build was fairly straightforward thanks to noahangel's great plans. If I did it again, I would figure out a way to make the bomb bay detachable to allow access to the electronics and make battery changes easier. Make your battery cable shorter and you won't have much of an issue of it coiling on the inside making it hard to put the nose on all the way.

I also was unable to cut those cool motor mounts as called for in the plans and wound up using a solid round wooden disk. Then I covered it all up with an picture of an engine from some FT Corsair skins. Probably a lot of unnecessary weight with all that lumber, so you might want to try something lighter, like drilling a few holes or somehow removing some of the wood. I wound up having to add 1/2 oz of weight to the tail to balance at CG with a 3000 4S battery.

That looks fabulous. Some flying video if and when you get the chance would go down well here, I’m sure. Congratulations on a fantastic build!

noahangel11

That looks amazing! Thanks for the input. Great job