Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

Jimun

Elite member
Ooohhh, you lucky dog, you! Your family obviously recognized that you have a need for a beautiful Corsair. Or maybe the beautiful Corsair has a need for you! :) Anything you'll do different this time around?
I would love to be closer to my grandkids and spend time with them building and flying like we see @mayan and his kids.
On build the new Corsair I would like landing gear and a better looking canopy. I like detail but still in the beginning stages of flying I don't want to crash a nicely detailed plane. I am learning to use my 3d printer but it is hard for me to spend the time trying to learn how to design parts to print. I might add a few parts from thingiverse that I can find and print. We will see. I have to finish the Spitfire and I also have a simple cub I got last Christmas that I have not got to yet. @kilroy07 also sent me a couple of simple scouts with the corsair I need to do.

Last edited:

Berekiah

After Week 2 at the field flying the Corsair I have discovered a few issues that are so true of warbirds like the Corsair. While the Flite Test Master Series Corsair is very forgiving and a great flyer stock, once you have customized it to a more scale like Warbird with retracts and all the fixings like I have you begin to have the real life tendencies of the real thing.

Here is my video demonstrating a couple of the "fun" issues to deal with in my own experience. First off looking closely at takeoff you will see it has a bad tendency to want to torque roll to the left. That may be just be from my own imperfections in building, but corresponds to what I have heard as an issue with the real thing. I did not correct for this well in the video which is why it almost hits the weeds, but luckily the design is very forgiving in the air so it was up and stable very quickly.

The second issue that you will easily see at the end of the video is on landing the high tendency to want to nose over. After experiencing that issue a few times I now can land much more consistently when I come in slow and keep a good amount of up elevator throughout landing. When I let go of the elevator it will nose over nearly every time it touches down.

I hope you can learn a little from my experiences and have great success with all your own flights scale or not. And please share what you discover as well building and also beyond into your flights.

Wildthing

Legendary member
After Week 2 at the field flying the Corsair I have discovered a few issues that are so true of warbirds like the Corsair. While the Flite Test Master Series Corsair is very forgiving and a great flyer stock, once you have customized it to a more scale like Warbird with retracts and all the fixings like I have you begin to have the real life tendencies of the real thing.

Here is my video demonstrating a couple of the "fun" issues to deal with in my own experience. First off looking closely at takeoff you will see it has a bad tendency to want to torque roll to the left. That may be just be from my own imperfections in building, but corresponds to what I have heard as an issue with the real thing. I did not correct for this well in the video which is why it almost hits the weeds, but luckily the design is very forgiving in the air so it was up and stable very quickly.

The second issue that you will easily see at the end of the video is on landing the high tendency to want to nose over. After experiencing that issue a few times I now can land much more consistently when I come in slow and keep a good amount of up elevator throughout landing. When I let go of the elevator it will nose over nearly every time it touches down.

I hope you can learn a little from my experiences and have great success with all your own flights scale or not. And please share what you discover as well building and also beyond into your flights.

My two cents, taking off a couple things, torque roll does exist and one way to counteract it is give it a little right rudder. Also from my own experiences most of these birds will lift off in a few feet and with very little ground speed and basically they are stalling on you. Keep it on the ground a little longer to build up a little more speed before you allow it to take off, a little down elevator but careful and don't use to much otherwise you may put the nose into the ground . I also found taking off with more throttle helped rather then doing a smooth slow take-off.

Nose plants on landing well if you have retracts and the position is set it is hard to cure , even a simple little stone can upset you. Moving the landing gear forward by a couple inches will solve the issue. The farther forward of the cg the better you are. With the landing gear to far back even taking off can be an issue if you are on rough terrain or even grass.

Berekiah

My two cents, taking off a couple things, torque roll does exist and one way to counteract it is give it a little right rudder. Also from my own experiences most of these birds will lift off in a few feet and with very little ground speed and basically they are stalling on you. Keep it on the ground a little longer to build up a little more speed before you allow it to take off, a little down elevator but careful and don't use to much otherwise you may put the nose into the ground . I also found taking off with more throttle helped rather then doing a smooth slow take-off.

Nose plants on landing well if you have retracts and the position is set it is hard to cure , even a simple little stone can upset you. Moving the landing gear forward by a couple inches will solve the issue. The farther forward of the cg the better you are. With the landing gear to far back even taking off can be an issue if you are on rough terrain or even grass.

Thank you for the advice. I will keep in mind your suggestions next time I'm out to the field. It would be nice if I could move the mounting of the retracts. Sadly no, but maybe when I have to rebuild the model I'll move them forward :)

Berekiah

Lightning Strikes - Time for a new build thread?

I've been keeping an eye out for the P-38 and it looks like it is incoming soon. I noticed this week in the store that pre-orders are now available for the P-38 speed build kit: https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...lectric-airplane-kit-1460mm-flt-1069/p1059733

This will definitely be my next project as I have a desire for a twin engine and trying out differential thrust. I also hope to take what I have learned from building the Corsair to this beauty. Would be great once this one is done to get some tandem flights with this and the Corsair.

I am planning on using the same painting techniques as my Corsair and the Putt Putt Maru design from Callie-Graphics. I am debating on adding retracts, but think I am going to try and keep this as light as possible with a fixed landing gear system that is contained mostly within the body and keeps the P-38 as close to the ground as possible to hide the gear. A couple of off the shelf spinners and trying my hand at a custom molded cockpit and that should do it for the customizations I think :) Oh yea and I don't believe I will use the speed build kit on this one, but really build it from scratch using the plans.

Anyone else planning on a build of this one, and would like to see a build thread for this one as well?

mayan

Legendary member
I'm not planning on building one anytime soon, but I'd love to see a build thread on it. :D
+1. I am waiting on the jet @Splinter189 is working on for my next big project. I can picture the paint job on it already. So waiting patently for FT to release those plans :). Do open a thread though I read others where in for that one on other threads, I’ll be watching it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Alright guys, I’m super late to the group build, but one’s better than never, right?! Last night I took an intense two hours and now I have a Corsair cut out! I got a little time to build and got part of the wing built. I messed up on gluing the correct foam spars to the wooden spars, so I had to trim the tabs off and just glue the top skins off. What happened was that I got one foam spar with tabs on one of the wooden spars and the other foam spar with tabs glued on the other side of the other wooden spar... Oh well - it won’t affect it’s flight performance or looks! Here’s what I’ve gotten done so far:

31BA55BE-A1CF-4AF3-A116-2E702AE623AD.jpeg FA5B7D43-B12A-4331-A170-CA8DD117A77A.jpeg

mayan

Legendary member
Alright guys, I’m super late to the group build, but one’s better than never, right?! Last night I took an intense two hours and now I have a Corsair cut out! I got a little time to build and got part of the wing built. I messed up on gluing the correct foam spars to the wooden spars, so I had to trim the tabs off and just glue the top skins off. What happened was that I got one foam spar with tabs on one of the wooden spars and the other foam spar with tabs glued on the other side of the other wooden spar... Oh well - it won’t affect it’s flight performance or looks! Here’s what I’ve gotten done so far:

View attachment 159009 View attachment 159010
Looks good buddy.

Jimun

Elite member

View attachment 159009 View attachment 159010
Awesome. I have to start building my second one.

basslord1124

Master member
I know it's been a looooooooooong time since I brought up my interest in this plane on this thread, but I had a lot happen at the time that I was about to begin the build. My interest in the plane never really left...just had some other stuff going on. :)

Glad to say that I am picking up where I left off. Originally was going to be scratchbuilding, but I decided to mix it up and support the FT guys in these crazy pandemic times and purchase a speed build kit. Figured it would help me get it together a little faster too. The kit should be here Friday and I'll probably start on it over the weekend.

I'm pretty stoked to learn some new build techniques and make a beautiful (well as beautiful as I can) Corsair. I had pondered doing retracts originally, but I think I may pass on it. Let the fun begin! :D

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I know it's been a looooooooooong time since I brought up my interest in this plane on this thread, but I had a lot happen at the time that I was about to begin the build. My interest in the plane never really left...just had some other stuff going on. :)

Glad to say that I am picking up where I left off. Originally was going to be scratchbuilding, but I decided to mix it up and support the FT guys in these crazy pandemic times and purchase a speed build kit. Figured it would help me get it together a little faster too. The kit should be here Friday and I'll probably start on it over the weekend.

I'm pretty stoked to learn some new build techniques and make a beautiful (well as beautiful as I can) Corsair. I had pondered doing retracts originally, but I think I may pass on it. Let the fun begin! :D
Sweet! I gotta finish up mine sometime here...

Jimun

Elite member

Can't wait to see it:cool:

PoorManRC

Master member

SWEET!!! 😊😁😁
Looking forward to that.
I'm still drooling over the MS P-47... Someday I'll be able to afford one. There's NO WAY I could Scratchbuild THAT!

I've heard the Corsair is a nice flyer. Can't wait to see yours! 😉