Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

kilroy07

Legendary member
It's my turn to head up one of these co-op builds.

When the FT Corsair came out I knew I would end up building one. While the Mustang is by far and away my favorite, I grew up watching Robert Conrad play Maj. Boyington... I actually met "Pappy"... I was a kid, my Dad had taken me to Oshkosh WI for the big airshow (I don't recall the exact year, we went from 1980 to when I left for the army in 1986...) But I remember my Dad asking him to sign something for me and he wouldn't do it unless my Dad bought his book.... We were pretty poor back then... and that still strikes me as... well, that was in the past.

As I've grown I've learned a better appreciation for veterans and what they sacrificed... So that has tempered my opinion of old Pappy....
(That and working for the State, you can appreciate someone known for "bucking the system...").

So, with that behind us, I am challenging both @mayan and @Jimun to build a Corsair along with me...
To be honest, I haven't even cut mine out and Flite Fest is RIGHT around the corner, but I want to give them an opportunity to start and challenge me to get a crazy amount of work done in the next 4 days! (I STILL have a SR-71 to wrap up as well!!)
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...ight-twin-69mm-edf-sr-71-build-project.56473/

So, with that....
Builders, on your mark....

Get set...

GO!!...

kilroy07

Legendary member
Just to be clear, I will be finishing mine as Pappy's ship "Lucy Belle"
f4u-corsair-pappy-boyington-stu-shepherd.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
Hell yeah! Let's get the race with no winners started. If all goes well I'll start my build this afternoon :). @Jimun I am debating on landing gears all the time, I find that it makes it harder for me to store my planes, so I might not build it. As for the wings I have seen someone build a removable set of wings for this bird so I might try to memic that.

Jimun

Elite member
Hell yeah! Let's get the race with no winners started. If all goes well I'll start my build this afternoon :). @Jimun I am debating on landing gears all the time, I find that it makes it harder for me to store my planes, so I might not build it. As for the wings I have seen someone build a removable set of wings for this bird so I might try to memic that.
I am thinking about the removable wings to. It would be cool to do retracts but I think that will be a later addition.
I want to finish my Explorer 1st, I just need to get the wings done and then I will start the Corsair. I was just looking at paint schemes and I think I will go with John H Glenns N51 Corsair colors.

mayan

Legendary member
I watched the build video today at least part of it so might get the wings started today :).

mayan

Legendary member
@kilroy07 first wake up call I am starting :)!

4A397A4A-2622-43C6-9ABB-F40EC81B85C6.jpeg

Hoping for the best. I am nervous, hope I have enough hot glue, saved up the packaging tape you used on the package that seems to be easier to peak off that what we have here.

Any how less talking let’s get started :)!

mayan

Legendary member
I’ve look and haven’t found it only the white paper tape which is our painters tape. It seems to have a stronger grip to stuff and this will cause things to delaminate. What I will have to do to use it any how because I will need it anyhow is run the tape on clothe first to loosen the grip.

Any ways I started the build and this is what I have so far.

341D4039-D28C-47C8-9BB8-C87F4DF0E647.jpeg

FB50CD9B-A291-4966-95F8-BDDAEAB4E184.jpeg

D90C519E-96DC-4608-A7FB-EFF6E4274C73.jpeg EE4E2528-D572-456A-A0A5-E9CE8D66E4AA.jpeg 8EFE9DE4-D2C9-4503-9CD5-64C9BF3CA79F.jpeg 40C5E67C-893D-4E28-B77E-9A0CD618FC48.jpeg 36E51900-4F6D-4914-8078-DFBD215CB893.jpeg 9902908F-3B05-4716-9267-A9437450796E.jpeg

At some point my son got out of bed saying he can’t fall asleep so I told he could come and help me build.

B2A25C1A-8D1A-4BB7-88AC-F648897FBACD.jpeg

E85D7121-7D7F-420C-977C-F86256AB537F.jpeg

My general opinion about the build process. It’s not as hard as it looks after all it’s an FT based design. But still is not a plane for someone that has not build any FB plane before, some experience is required. I must say that the US FB is different than what we have here in Israel it seems easier to curve and curves well too. The Israeli FB seems to bend not curve which usually leaves a lot of wrinkles on the piece. I also suggest watching the video once before and then replay it when building that is what worked for me. Pay attention to details on what gets done and in what order I had issues with that when I closed off the trailing edge before the leading edge.

Last tip that I can suggest regarding the wing upper and lower part line up. I was afraid that I wouldn’t have enough to line up properly with the hot glue on so I lined it up without the hot glue first when I was happy with the fit I used some blue tape to tape down the wing tip leading edge that gave me an anchor point to start with. I taped this point because it allowed the parts to open flat and also is the closest to the aileron which one of the parts you need to make sure to align good next to.

4491A956-68B1-4259-A3D8-1F54A8285B5C.jpeg

I am taking a break of a day or two because I need to buy some more hot glue sticks I have one left which probably won’t get me far on the fuselage section :).

More to come...

Jimun

Elite member
I’ve look and haven’t found it only the white paper tape which is our painters tape. It seems to have a stronger grip to stuff and this will cause things to delaminate. What I will have to do to use it any how because I will need it anyhow is run the tape on clothe first to loosen the grip.

Any ways I started the build and this is what I have so far.

View attachment 135403
View attachment 135404
View attachment 135405 View attachment 135406 View attachment 135407 View attachment 135412 View attachment 135409 View attachment 135411

At some point my son got out of bed saying he can’t fall asleep so I told he could come and help me build.

View attachment 135413
View attachment 135414

My general opinion about the build process. It’s not as hard as it looks after all it’s an FT based design. But still is not a plane for someone that has not build any FB plane before, some experience is required. I must say that the US FB is different than what we have here in Israel it seems easier to curve and curves well too. The Israeli FB seems to bend not curve which usually leaves a lot of wrinkles on the piece. I also suggest watching the video once before and then replay it when building that is what worked for me. Pay attention to details on what gets done and in what order I had issues with that when I closed off the trailing edge before the leading edge.

Last tip that I can suggest regarding the wing upper and lower part line up. I was afraid that I wouldn’t have enough to line up properly with the hot glue on so I lined it up without the hot glue first when I was happy with the fit I used some blue tape to tape down the wing tip leading edge that gave me an anchor point to start with. I taped this point because it allowed the parts to open flat and also is the closest to the aileron which one of the parts you need to make sure to align good next to.

View attachment 135415

I am taking a break of a day or two because I need to buy some more hot glue sticks I have one left which probably won’t get me far on the fuselage section :).

More to come...
Looks good Mayan. I got some done yesterday. I will put up the pictures soon.

Jimun

Elite member
I did get started yesterday and I have the burnt finger tips to prove it:ROFLMAO:. I don't know how many times I glue my fingers:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Corsair 01.JPG

Corsair 02.JPG

Corsair 03.JPG

@mayan My general opinion about the build process. It’s not as hard as it looks after all it’s an FT based design. But still is not a plane for someone that has not build any FB plane before, some experience is required.
I agree, it was a bit intimidating to start but once I started it went pretty good. You do have to take a little more time to make sure you are lining up right. I got a little glue on my wing surface. I hope to finish the wing today and maybe get started with the tail. I thought shaping the wings would be harder. I was able to shape the curve pretty quickly and i got the inner wing tops shaped just right to fit the outer wing top. This build is real enjoyable to see it come together.:)

kilroy07

Legendary member
WOW, Great job guys!! Guess I need to get my butt in gear... Currently this is what my workbench looks like! :rolleyes:
IMG_9085[1].JPG

I am torn, I want to add retracts but I also came up with (what I think is) a really cool idea...
Leave it bare FB and put some blue LEDs in it for a "night fighter"... :LOL:

Guess, I'll have to build two! :ROFLMAO:

mayan

Legendary member
Why don't you have him check out the FT store and have him pick out a plane or two and maybe (just maybe) after FF I'll drop something in the mail just for him! (I'll trow in a couple TTs too, just for fun.) ;)
Next time he gets up I will let him do just that but be careful he’s got his eyes on the A-10 after he saw the release video with the air soft guns :).

mayan

Legendary member
Mean time I am watching the fuselage build part of the video might keep going with some milky hot glue sticks that I left as a last resort in case the clear ones ran out :). I don’t like the milky ones too much they seem to cool off faster.

I also choose a paint scheme so I need to buy some spray cans, to fit the chosen paint scheme.

4DADA596-4E44-478C-B6B2-960CF30DB4ED.jpeg

104AC525-7C9B-42FA-8372-184125B7A33C.jpeg

A667EC92-D99B-4BD9-96EE-4677689290AD.jpeg

Jimun

Elite member