Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

JVos

You do great work! I like how you mounted it and did you 3D print the mounts for the landing gear or did you get them somewhere else. I made mine out of wood and when I was thinking about it at the beginning it seemed like I could fit it just below the spar and not affect its integrity. After it is a bit more tight then I had thought and I like your placement a bit better. Let me know how stable it ends up being (over time) with the spar cut like that.

You gear is mounted closer together so I would also be interested in hearing how stable it is in ground handling.

Finally I haven't yet got to the rear wheel, but i do have a solution in mind. If you could share pictures of how you setup yours I would love to see before I start on my own idea. Any tips on building it would be great so I don't have to rip out mine as well when it doesn't work the first time.

Please keep sharing pics and I would love to see the maiden and how it handles with the additional weight of our retracts. Good Luck!
Thanks,
I did design and 3d print the mounts. They have slots that I glued the cut spar ends into with gorilla glue and also fit against the cross piece to act as a fillet. It ended up very strong, if not stronger than before. The rear wheel was tricky indeed. Although not ideal, I again printed a swivel mount for the wheel that came with the dynam retracts. I also printed a limiting stop to keep the swivel from turning more than 90° in any direction. It could easily be made steerable, if I had done it before the fuselage was assembled by attaching it to the rudder pushrod, however with the fuselage assembled and already having difficulty with the rudder pushrod sticking, I didn't want to screw it up. Perhaps a version 2 will happen when this one crashes😜
I forgot to take pictures of the tailwheel assembly, as I was too excited to finish, and at the moment it is masked off for paint. But here are some more pics of the mounting bracket.
20190729_182700.jpg

20190729_230140.jpg
20190729_230203.jpg
20190729_230221.jpg

mayan

Legendary member
@mayan - so with your roll (say to the right) you add up or down elevator?
Generally when making a roll to the right I use just right aileron on 75-100% throttle and level out using up elevator. I realized that on lower speed around 50% throttle I some times have to push the elevator down when inverted on the part of the roll and then up elevator to exit the roll leveled. I think that using the rudder I can just get the roll done on lower speeds, yet to be tested.

kilroy07

Legendary member

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Using the rudder along with the ailerons will just about double your roll rate.
I did the rudder thing in my Scout maiden... HOLY CRAP was it fast and surprisingly lost next to no attitude. It was awesome. I was practicing some inverted and was doin these turns where you climb to vertical, half roll then level out to change direction, I'm sure there is a name for it. Looks cool though. and hammer turns I want to dial in as well

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Generally when making a roll to the right I use just right aileron on 75-100% throttle and level out using up elevator. I realized that on lower speed around 50% throttle I some times have to push the elevator down when inverted on the part of the roll and then up elevator to exit the roll leveled. I think that using the rudder I can just get the roll done on lower speeds, yet to be tested.
With the rudder and aileron input 100% to the right or the left depending on what direction you want to roll at 50% throttle was a quick roll with little to no loss of altitude

JVos

Update: she flew beautifully while she was in the air, retracts worked well, didn't change flight characteristics drastically, balance was perfect, but...I had a blackout. Don't know if it was the Rx or ESC, but after 2-3 minutes of flight, it lost all control and the motor went silent. When it dove to the ground the motor kicked back in and drove it hard straight down, didn't have time to recover. Don't know if I can straighten it all out again. May just use the parts to build Ver. 2. 🤕
20190901_160951.jpg

20190902_115455.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Update: she flew beautifully while she was in the air, retracts worked well, didn't change flight characteristics drastically, balance was perfect, but...I had a blackout. Don't know if it was the Rx or ESC, but after 2-3 minutes of flight, it lost all control and the motor went silent. When it dove to the ground the motor kicked back in and drove it hard straight down, didn't have time to recover. Don't know if I can straighten it all out again. May just use the parts to build Ver. 2. 🤕
View attachment 141318
View attachment 141317
Awwwwww! Beautiful plane too!

mayan

Legendary member
View attachment 141318
View attachment 141317
I think you had a LOS or brown out issue, which is why the motor kicked back in at some point. That looks very much repairable to me, ask @Jimun :).

Wildthing

Legendary member

Depending on the amps for the BEC and with the added retract servos that could be your issue. You might have to run an external BEC that has 5 or more amp rating.

JVos

Depending on the amps for the BEC and with the added retract servos that could be your issue. You might have to run an external BEC that has 5 or more amp rating.
It's a 40amp esc, and the retracts were not drawing anything when it happened. I have come to the conclusion that the ESC was overheating, since it was flying perfectly up to the point that it dropped from the sky. I had it tucked in the battery compartment without any ventilation. When I rebuild it, I'll put it outside the power pod.

Wildthing

Legendary member
It's a 40amp esc, and the retracts were not drawing anything when it happened. I have come to the conclusion that the ESC was overheating, since it was flying perfectly up to the point that it dropped from the sky. I had it tucked in the battery compartment without any ventilation. When I rebuild it, I'll put it outside the power pod.

No the BEC not ESC. Check what the amp rating is for the BEC.