Baa Baa Black Sheep, Have you any wool? Yes Sir, Yes Sir three Planes full!

Berekiah

ITS ALIVE!!!

The ground handling appears to work well for my tail wheel setup even though it is using less deflection then the rudder. One major issue has come up that I have feared since starting these custom modifications to the FT Corsair. The CG as it sits right now is about 3+ inches from the leading edge of the wing and it is getting heavy. I estimate that I need at least 4 oz of nose weight (with my 3s 2200 lipo) to get the CG back close to 2 inches from the leading edge. That is a lot of weight.

Due to the extra weight and the needs of more weight to the nose, I have gone ahead and bought a 4s 3200 lipo that I am hoping will solve my CG concerns and give me the extra power for the extra weight I have. Its too late now, but I'm thinking I may have needed flaps :)

Now on to paint and a successful (albet not too fast) maiden. Crossing fingers...

JVos

ITS ALIVE!!!

The ground handling appears to work well for my tail wheel setup even though it is using less deflection then the rudder. One major issue has come up that I have feared since starting these custom modifications to the FT Corsair. The CG as it sits right now is about 3+ inches from the leading edge of the wing and it is getting heavy. I estimate that I need at least 4 oz of nose weight (with my 3s 2200 lipo) to get the CG back close to 2 inches from the leading edge. That is a lot of weight.

Due to the extra weight and the needs of more weight to the nose, I have gone ahead and bought a 4s 3200 lipo that I am hoping will solve my CG concerns and give me the extra power for the extra weight I have. Its too late now, but I'm thinking I may have needed flaps :)

Now on to paint and a successful (albet not too fast) maiden. Crossing fingers...

Looking good!
Yeah, I ran a 4s 2200 and it balanced perfectly with the retracts, but I did not have the weight of the steerable tailwheel and I used gorilla glue for the tail sections to keep the weight forward. Can't wait to see your maiden. Just keep that ESC/BEC cool! Don't want yours to end up like mine😜

Berekiah

Looking good!
Yeah, I ran a 4s 2200 and it balanced perfectly with the retracts, but I did not have the weight of the steerable tailwheel and I used gorilla glue for the tail sections to keep the weight forward. Can't wait to see your maiden. Just keep that ESC/BEC cool! Don't want yours to end up like mine😜

Hmm that's worrysome. I'm just using the 35A esc that is the standard Flitetest ESC that they said should handle 4s. I'm not sure how to keep it cool either without adding some type of air scoop. Plus I have the fake engine in place so it will be tough getting more air in.

JVos

Hmm that's worrysome. I'm just using the 35A esc that is the standard Flitetest ESC that they said should handle 4s. I'm not sure how to keep it cool either without adding some type of air scoop. Plus I have the fake engine in place so it will be tough getting more air in.
I definitely had my esc in the worst place possible. I had short wires from the motor. So I tucked it in the power pod between the foam and battery. As it and the battery heated up, the heat was trapped tight in the foam power pod with absolutely no airflow. It was a 50a but didn't have anywhere to dissipate the heat.

Berekiah

It has taken quite a while to get my Corsair all together, but here it is in all its glory.

IMG_0643[1].JPG

Above was my first pic after a long night of getting all the decals placed on and final detail work done before the next day's maiden. Below are a few pics of the Corsair as I got it ready for its maiden flight in order to preserve something in case things go wrong...

IMG_0645.JPG IMG_0646.JPG IMG_0644[1].JPG

With a lot of skill and help from my fellow club members, we were able to get a couple of successful maiden flights. That first takeoff without knowing how it would react and the high angle of attack using these retracts made it very hairy until I learned how to take off with my first warbird with a tail wheel. Even without flaps this bird wants to get off the ground in a hurry. Once in the air it was beautiful and flew really well. It does have a tiny shimmy to the wings in flight, but I think that has more to do with using the Olathe Corsair hatch mod I saw on Youtube instead of gluing the wings in.

While at the field a lot of the club members really loved this corsair and I was asked many times about where I bought this model. When I explained it was foam board and custom built it just blew their minds. That was fun and a good feeling as a builder to have something that is at a similar level to what you can pick up off the shelf these days.

I have some video of my Maiden, but it is really rough right now and I hope to clean it up and post it this evening. Till then a couple more glamour shots of the Corsair as it gets back home in one piece... Almost...

IMG_0649.JPG IMG_0648.JPG

Later... I began to notice that hot gluing the cockpit was not going to work as the dark blue of the cockpit would heat up in the sun and start to melt the glue underneath until the cockpit just about fell off after the pictures above. So back to the workbench and a few hours later had peeled the cockpit off, reglued with foam glue, ironed the edges of the cockpit to the body, and finished it with touch-up paint. It looks just as good now and much more secure.

A couple of other fixes I had to make were to remove some nose weight even though I was beyond the 2 inch cg stated in the instructions. I had put 2oz of weight and upped the battery to a 4s 3200 to try and get as much weight forward as I could. Another fix I needed was to cut the ends of the motor mount screws off as they were poking the battery even though I had covered them in hot glue. The motor got hot enough to melt the glue caps over the mount screws so that didn't work. I may even put some balsa over the ends of the screws to protect the end of the battery as well.

Seems like there is always something to do with this Corsair, and I love it!

mayan

Legendary member
It has taken quite a while to get my Corsair all together, but here it is in all its glory.

View attachment 144826

Above was my first pic after a long night of getting all the decals placed on and final detail work done before the next day's maiden. Below are a few pics of the Corsair as I got it ready for its maiden flight in order to preserve something in case things go wrong...

View attachment 144832 View attachment 144831 View attachment 144827

With a lot of skill and help from my fellow club members, we were able to get a couple of successful maiden flights. That first takeoff without knowing how it would react and the high angle of attack using these retracts made it very hairy until I learned how to take off with my first warbird with a tail wheel. Even without flaps this bird wants to get off the ground in a hurry. Once in the air it was beautiful and flew really well. It does have a tiny shimmy to the wings in flight, but I think that has more to do with using the Olathe Corsair hatch mod I saw on Youtube instead of gluing the wings in.

While at the field a lot of the club members really loved this corsair and I was asked many times about where I bought this model. When I explained it was foam board and custom built it just blew their minds. That was fun and a good feeling as a builder to have something that is at a similar level to what you can pick up off the shelf these days.

I have some video of my Maiden, but it is really rough right now and I hope to clean it up and post it this evening. Till then a couple more glamour shots of the Corsair as it gets back home in one piece... Almost...

View attachment 144829 View attachment 144830

Later... I began to notice that hot gluing the cockpit was not going to work as the dark blue of the cockpit would heat up in the sun and start to melt the glue underneath until the cockpit just about fell off after the pictures above. So back to the workbench and a few hours later had peeled the cockpit off, reglued with foam glue, ironed the edges of the cockpit to the body, and finished it with touch-up paint. It looks just as good now and much more secure.

A couple of other fixes I had to make were to remove some nose weight even though I was beyond the 2 inch cg stated in the instructions. I had put 2oz of weight and upped the battery to a 4s 3200 to try and get as much weight forward as I could. Another fix I needed was to cut the ends of the motor mount screws off as they were poking the battery even though I had covered them in hot glue. The motor got hot enough to melt the glue caps over the mount screws so that didn't work. I may even put some balsa over the ends of the screws to protect the end of the battery as well.

Wow really an amazing job. Looking forward to the maiden video. Love the canopy how did you make it?

Berekiah

Wow really an amazing job. Looking forward to the maiden video. Love the canopy how did you make it?

Thanks for the encouragement to you and everyone. I thought about making my own canopy, but it was much easier to find one that would fit. Luckily the Dynam 1270 Corsair spare parts all fit really well on the Master Series Corsair. This is where my Canopy, retracts, rotary engine facade, and some tail wheel parts came from. I got lucky to pick up all the spare parts I could before they are now sold out everywhere.

When I received the cockpit it was a pretty thick rubberized plastic and it was warped quite a bit. Using a hot iron on the outside edges has helped a lot to get it to form fit to the body. I wish the canopy color matched my navy blue better, but I am blending in the color each time I do touch up work and it is looking better all the time.

Jimun

Elite member

View attachment 144826

That is a great job. It looks so good.:cool:

JVos

View attachment 144826

Amazing Work!!!
So glad your maiden was a success.
You should be very proud 👍

Jimun

Elite member
Sorry with the issues with the Maiden video. Had some trouble getting a recording, and missed the sketchy takeoff, but nailed the landing :)

Great Job flying and that plane looks awesome and you came back as good as she started.

Berekiah

@Berekiah - absolutely superb - the retracts turned out spectacular and the landing especially was very cool! :D

Thank you so very much! I had to cycle the retracts once as the right wheel was twisted and didn't fully turn 90 degrees on my flyby with retracts down. Glad I saw that or the landing would have been a mess.

During the Taxi back the wind would pick up the tail and it kept going in circles as I lost directional control. When I finally hit my max rates on the radio and kept the elevator up I was able to taxi and get back to the gate. Was a lot of new things to learn in a Maiden flight with my first Warbird taildragger. Definitely a new and interesting challenge :)