Baby Baron - Build

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
More progress on the new build for the (hopefully) final version.

2015-04-08 22.00.15.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So far, I've found one minor change that needs to be made to the plans. The servo hole in the top of the wing needs to move back about 1/4" from the last crease line. See attached photo. I will update the plans when I finish this second build. I will keep pointing out any changes here as I build it in case anyone out there is building off the version 1.0 plans as well.

2015-04-08 23.18.53.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Good progress so far on the build. Wing and fuselage are done. This is a very quick building plane.

2015-04-08 23.19.49.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Another minor change needed to the Horizontal Stabilizer [Part Number 04]. Need to add 1/4" to the front as show in the attached image.

2015-04-08 23.43.02.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Bare airframe took about 2 hours to cut out and assemble. And that was with taking all the pictures and posting the changes as I found them. I should have the revised version 1.1 FINAL plans up tomorrow.

2015-04-08 23.55.53.jpg

mad_milchmann

ah, I already cut the servo hole, i have to see if I'm still able to move it back enough. but good thing that i had to stop building yesterday now I wont end up with a short stabilizer :)
thanks for the updates.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Version 1.1 Plans available now

Changes include:

- WING
- Added CG symbols
- Moved top servo hole back 1/4"

- FUSELAGE
- Moved rear servo hole forward 1/2"

- V STAB
- Lengthened 1/4"
- Moved servo hole forward 1/2"

The graphics file has been edited and updated too.

mad_milchmann

I progressed with my build :)
It is quite far but still a bit work to do (powerpod has no electronics yet, control-linkages and BBQ skewers are still missing.

2015-04-14 03.28.59.jpg

what I've done to make the wing and verticals stab detachable:

I reinforced the tabs which hold the wing with some plastic pieces and glass fibre tape.
2015-04-14 03.29.41.jpg
The same scrap-plastic was used for the fixation of the vertical stabilizer. (borrowed Keegans idea there :eek: )
2015-04-14 03.29.10.jpg
2015-04-14 03.29.27.jpg
for the attachment of the main wing I had to cut some small cavities in the ailerons to make space for some rubber-bands.
2015-04-14 03.29.57.jpg

A few questions occured while building, maybe you could help me there sponz?
  • when i add the 1/2" to the rear stab it would reach forward under the wing. Is this intended to give the wing a slight downwards angle or did I mess up the mesurements somewhere?
  • in which angle did you mount the power-pod? so that the rear edge touches the inside top side of the fuselage? (I assume that the leading edge of the pod is meant to be right beneath the leading edge of the upper side of the fuse)
  • I was thinking of attaching the wing with velcro (the strong selfadhesive blue HK stuff) Any thoughts, if this might hold up?

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
A few questions occured while building, maybe you could help me there sponz?
  • when i add the 1/2" to the rear stab it would reach forward under the wing. Is this intended to give the wing a slight downwards angle or did I mess up the mesurements somewhere?
  • in which angle did you mount the power-pod? so that the rear edge touches the inside top side of the fuselage? (I assume that the leading edge of the pod is meant to be right beneath the leading edge of the upper side of the fuse)
  • I was thinking of attaching the wing with velcro (the strong selfadhesive blue HK stuff) Any thoughts, if this might hold up?

First of all, nice mods. Those should work well. Pretty similar to what Keegan did with his.

Question 1: It was only 1/4" that needed to be added??? Are you working from the latest plans? If so, I already added the 1/4" in the plans. If not then then just make the horizontal stab flush with the bottom plate of the wing.

Question 2: The rear of the power pod should touch the inside top of the fuselage. The C fold provides the thrust angle. You will want to position it front to back to accommodate your specific motor.

Question 3: Keegan's wing was held on with just two rubber bands. I think if you have some good Velcro it could probably work. If you try it report back and lets us all know how it works.

mad_milchmann

First of all, nice mods. Those should work well. Pretty similar to what Keegan did with his.

Question 1: It was only 1/4" that needed to be added??? Are you working from the latest plans? If so, I already added the 1/4" in the plans. If not then then just make the horizontal stab flush with the bottom plate of the wing.

Question 2: The rear of the power pod should touch the inside top of the fuselage. The C fold provides the thrust angle. You will want to position it front to back to accommodate your specific motor.

Question 3: Keegan's wing was held on with just two rubber bands. I think if you have some good Velcro it could probably work. If you try it report back and lets us all know how it works.

1. I wanted to write1/4", 1/2" was a typo... but anyway I seemd to have mixed something up when converting to metric system... i already guessed that it should be flush and built it that way, but I wasn't really sure
  2. thanks for the details :)
  3. OK, I guess the velcro should be as strong as two rubber bands for sure. Might be a problem that it is to thick for the tabs to hold the wing in place probably though. I'll report when I tried an test flew it (hopefully this weekend - if the weather is on my side)

Thanks for the help! :)
now i just have to figure out how to attach and where to put the Battery and find the motor on my messy desk and I can finish up the Baby B :cool:

I'm really excited to see how the small one flies.

Last edited:

ruud

After getting frustrated with my Pun Jet being essentially unflyable I scrapped it and built a Baby Baron instead using the same electronics. I love how the build goes together. I printed the plans and had no problem figuring out how to construct it. The only minor issue I ran into is the rear servo doesn't mount flush with the foam board.

Haven't flown it yet, though.

mad_milchmann

tried to maiden mine yesterday, but 20 km/h winds with gusts up to 30km/h just were too much for the little one.
but at least i know now that it's a really durable plane. took next to no dage from the high speed vertical landing.

ruud

Maidened my Baby Baron this morning. I had just eyeballed my control throws and may have set them a bit too big, as it was somewhat twitchy even with 30% expo, but on the other hand the roll rate is just insane :)

Thanks SP0NZ for this awesome design and the clear plans!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
After getting frustrated with my Pun Jet being essentially unflyable I scrapped it and built a Baby Baron instead using the same electronics. I love how the build goes together. I printed the plans and had no problem figuring out how to construct it. The only minor issue I ran into is the rear servo doesn't mount flush with the foam board.

Haven't flown it yet, though.

Thanks for the great feedback on your build. Can you elaborate on the rear servo issue, perhaps post a picture?

ruud said:
Maidened my Baby Baron this morning. I had just eyeballed my control throws and may have set them a bit too big, as it was somewhat twitchy even with 30% expo, but on the other hand the roll rate is just insane :)

Thanks SP0NZ for this awesome design and the clear plans!

I had the same initial experience with it the first time I flew it as well. 30% expo and it was a real handful. I dialed my expos and rates down a lot further before I was happy/comfortable with how it flies.

I'm building a new one off the latest plans and will be writing an article for the official "release" of this one. The new one is getting the same color scheme/graphics as the Bloody Baron.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
tried to maiden mine yesterday, but 20 km/h winds with gusts up to 30km/h just were too much for the little one.
but at least i know now that it's a really durable plane. took next to no dage from the high speed vertical landing.

Yeah, it's a tough little bird. I flew it straight in at full throttle and the only damage was a broken prop.

ruud

Thanks for the great feedback on your build. Can you elaborate on the rear servo issue, perhaps post a picture?
The horizontal stabilizer piece tucks right under the folded-over wing which is cool but leaves the hole for the servo right next to the upper wing half, which means the little tab of the servo (where the mounting hole goes) has no room and you either need to cut a little notch out of the wing or mount the servo a little crooked.

Hope this explanation made sense. I can take a picture when I get home tonight.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
That helps a lot, thanks for posting it. I will verify that with my build. I will probably make a modification to the plans to correct this. I just need to determine if I will notch the wing, or move the servo location back.