Baby Baron - Build

Thanks for the great feedback. Can't wait to see the pictures and hear about your flying experiences with it.

Hey Sponz. I am working on my Baby Baron. I posted another thread but it got lost. This may be a dumb question, but do you glue the wing and tail to the fuselage? I read carefully over the instructions and it does not appear you do not in quote: "Attach the tail assembly to the fuselage using the slots and tabs for alignment." I just don't have the parts fitting that snugly to where they would stay intact. I'm wondering if I will lose some functionality by gluing these parts to the fuselage. The only other minor issue I am having is the power pod is a bit too wide for the fuselage, but still fits.

Thanks for the great plans BTW. I'm hoping this will fly in similar fashion to my micro T-28.

I just watched the Bloody Baron build video - it would appear these parts are glued.

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey Sponz. I am working on my Baby Baron. I posted another thread but it got lost. This may be a dumb question, but do you glue the wing and tail to the fuselage? I read carefully over the instructions and it does not appear you do not in quote: "Attach the tail assembly to the fuselage using the slots and tabs for alignment." I just don't have the parts fitting that snugly to where they would stay intact. I'm wondering if I will lose some functionality by gluing these parts to the fuselage. The only other minor issue I am having is the power pod is a bit too wide for the fuselage, but still fits.

Thanks for the great plans BTW. I'm hoping this will fly in similar fashion to my micro T-28.

I just watched the Bloody Baron build video - it would appear these parts are glued.

Yes you do need to glue the tail to the fuselage.

Yes you do need to glue the tail to the fuselage.

Thanks. I just glued it together. I should have the electronics in later this week so will finish it up. I'll be very curious to see how the maiden goes. I've haven't built a plane with this small of a wingspan. Should be interesting.

Sil20

Hi SPonz,
I build pretty quickly a baby baron. In France we have a different kind of Depron (3mm or 6mm, and no paper). So I had to adapte the plan. I will fly it tonight

But when I looked into the down thrust power pod I thought it would be nice to take the down angle into account directely in the Powerpod design.In the example hereafter you can see the I made a 3° angle. So all contact surface sould be better "in contact".
What do you think about this?
DownThrustPowerPod.jpg

Just maidened my Baby Baron. Wish I could say it was a success. I only had a 7 inch prop which pretty sure was too big. It was pretty erratic and was pretty much a lawn dart. I'll see what you guys are using for a prop and try it again. Sounds like a lot of folks have had success but it just seems like a tough bird to fly with the small wingspan. This plane can take a serious beating however.

Here I am weighing it. It comes in at 5 oz w/ electronics, and 6.2 with the battery.

photo 1.JPG

ruud

I've flown mine quite successfully with a 7x3.5 GWS prop on a PowerUp 250 Sport 2300 kv motor, on 2S. It's actually a joy to fly on that setup, IMHO.

I've also flown it with a 6x4 APC prop on an EMAX 1806 2280 kv motor, both on 2S and 3S.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just maidened my Baby Baron. Wish I could say it was a success. I only had a 7 inch prop which pretty sure was too big. It was pretty erratic and was pretty much a lawn dart. I'll see what you guys are using for a prop and try it again. Sounds like a lot of folks have had success but it just seems like a tough bird to fly with the small wingspan. This plane can take a serious beating however.

Here I am weighing it. It comes in at 5 oz w/ electronics, and 6.2 with the battery.

View attachment 53322

So far I've only been flying it with the FT Mighty Mini setup, power Pack A. That's all I really have for testing right now. I use a 6x4 APC style prop on 2s and 3s and have had good success with it. I can say that it took a little while to find rates/expos that I was able to fly it successfully with. I did notice that as you start to scale the planes down, they get a lot more sensitive (i.e. harder/trickier to fly). This is not a beginner plane.

If you find motor/prop setups that you have success with, please share them here. I can probably add a section to the first post with lists of optional power setups that other people have had success with.

So far I've only been flying it with the FT Mighty Mini setup, power Pack A. That's all I really have for testing right now. I use a 6x4 APC style prop on 2s and 3s and have had good success with it. I can say that it took a little while to find rates/expos that I was able to fly it successfully with. I did notice that as you start to scale the planes down, they get a lot more sensitive (i.e. harder/trickier to fly). This is not a beginner plane.

If you find motor/prop setups that you have success with, please share them here. I can probably add a section to the first post with lists of optional power setups that other people have had success with.

I'll give it a try with another prop. I have a DX4E and the rate switch broke off so I can't change the rates around. But yah, it's certainly not a beginner plane. I'm pretty confident the motor I am using is accurate - 2300kv Power up.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'll give it a try with another prop. I have a DX4E and the rate switch broke off so I can't change the rates around. But yah, it's certainly not a beginner plane. I'm pretty confident the motor I am using is accurate - 2300kv Power up.

If you can't adjust your rates, this plane will be a handful. Expo helped a lot too.

ruud

My rates are something like 50% on the ailerons and 60% on the elevator, and quite some expo on both, and even then it took me a while to get used to the plane.

I believe there's a trick to enable expo on the DX4e, you could probably find it on google.

If you can't switch your transmitter to low rates, make sure you use the innermost holes on the servo arms and outermost holes on the control horn.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hey anyone having a problem with finding the cg?

When in doubt, make it nose heavy.

More info would be helpful here though. What electronics are you using? What size battery? What material did you use to build with? What's the CG issue, nose heavy or tail heavy?

jackedman

When in doubt, make it nose heavy.

More info would be helpful here though. What electronics are you using? What size battery? What material did you use to build with? What's the CG issue, nose heavy or tail heavy?

Im using this motor
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=8478
this esc
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=14870
these servos
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...168_Coreless_Analog_Servo_8g_1_2kg_0_12s.html

im using a 500 mah 2s and use foam board with hot melt glue. Its really tail heavy

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Is it Adams Readi-Board (a.k.a. Dollar Tree foam board) or Elmer's foam board?

My rates are something like 50% on the ailerons and 60% on the elevator, and quite some expo on both, and even then it took me a while to get used to the plane.

I believe there's a trick to enable expo on the DX4e, you could probably find it on google.

If you can't switch your transmitter to low rates, make sure you use the innermost holes on the servo arms and outermost holes on the control horn.

The DX4E has been a great starter transmitter but it's served it's purpose. I'll probably take it apart and try to fix the rate switch after I get a DX6i but just going to leave as is until then. Yah, I'll change the hole configuration and try and set it for less throw.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yeah its the elmer's foam board

Sorry your having troubles with it, but that's your problem right there. Elmer's is much heavier than Adams. Not sure the Baby Baron will fly or balance at all with the Elmer's. It's never been tested and I wouldn't recommend it. :(

jackedman

Sorry your having troubles with it, but that's your problem right there. Elmer's is much heavier than Adams. Not sure the Baby Baron will fly or balance at all with the Elmer's. It's never been tested and I wouldn't recommend it. :(
It flys. Boy shes quick to snap roll. Ill just have to mess with the cg or fly with a bigger battery

elvin

This is very cute and cool SP0NZ!

It'll definitely going to be my 1st non-FT plane!

I'm really interested in the 'backpackable' version. Could you please elaborate?

And if you don't mind, I'd like to translate the build process into Chinese and put it on my blog, with a link to this post of course. I might use some of the photos from this post, will it be OK with you?

Thanks for the cool design and sharing!