Baby Baron Gotha Gaggle for Flite Fest 2016!

DharanFlyer

Cool find Aaron. Anybody getting one?

Or...maybe we can design our own Flite Fest version with a Gotha, Baby Barons and Baby Brits on it?

I am skipping on this particular shirt. I could go for custom shirt maybe.

Got the goggles in today though!
20160425_172806.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Just found this thread...and I would love to be a part of it! I'm bringing my wife and son to FF16 - this will be our first such family outing, and our 3-yr-old's first flight ever. Flying from California limits me to mostly just bringing flight hardware, so I have a request ... would one of you here be willing to bring some pre-skinned foam parts for me, so I can build one of these mini's and fly with y'all? I'll bring the hardware, and I can build it on-site, I just don't have the ability to print/skin&pack the foam pieces. I'm more than happy to reimburse/swap/trade whomever volunteers to help - I just want to fly in the Gaggle! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Just found this thread...and I would love to be a part of it! I'm bringing my wife and son to FF16 - this will be our first such family outing, and our 3-yr-old's first flight ever. Flying from California limits me to mostly just bringing flight hardware, so I have a request ... would one of you here be willing to bring some pre-skinned foam parts for me, so I can build one of these mini's and fly with y'all? I'll bring the hardware, and I can build it on-site, I just don't have the ability to print/skin&pack the foam pieces. I'm more than happy to reimburse/swap/trade whomever volunteers to help - I just want to fly in the Gaggle! :D

I've got you "covered" for bringing pre-skinned foam. Just let Rasterize (and the rest of us) know what design you want made up and I'll get it all set for you!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Cool find Aaron. Anybody getting one?

Or...maybe we can design our own Flite Fest version with a Gotha, Baby Barons and Baby Brits on it?

I think those look great - and I'm not a huge fan of the black t-shirt, especially in the summer, so I'll be ordering one of these. :)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
This request is for my brother who will be coming to Flite Fest with me. I will also be putting in a request for my nephew once he finds a design he likes. You can email the skins to me when they are done. Thanks Rasterize.

Callsign: Zipper
Aircraft: Baron

BDA6BBB80E8B4D08A2B595AA840C7463.png

I won't be at Flite Fest until I can go by myself or somehow convince a family member to go with me, but out of curiosity how do you apply these full air frame skins? Is it just glue, or do you get them printed as stickers at a place that will do that?

Edit: Never mind I just saw LocalFiend's thread.

Last edited:

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
AlternateSource, Here is what I cam up with. Let me know what you think. If it's good, PM with an email to send the PDF to.
AlternateSource Proof.jpg

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
I've got you "covered" for bringing pre-skinned foam. Just let Rasterize (and the rest of us) know what design you want made up and I'll get it all set for you!

Thanks! It's hard to find a cool scheme that hasn't been taken, but I like this one:

bristol-m1c.jpg
shuttleworth-collection-laa-party-in-the-park-11.jpg

Also, what power plant will you mostly be using?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm planning on a Tunigy Park250 2350kv and a Power-Up 250 Slowfly 1600kv, both on 2 cell - but I haven't put either of these in the air yet. For a 1:1 or a little hotter power ratio I'm looking at 6x5 or 7x4.3 prop to start testing with.

I'd love to hear from some of the other folks who have run these what power setups and weight to thrust ratios are working for them.

The Italian Job is all ready to go! She's a 150g w/o battery, and 197g with my favorite 800mah 2cell that keeps her balanced out right.

Looking at the prop and thrust options, I should be able to get a 1:1 ratio with a 7035 prop at only 4 amps, or at 1:5 ratio with a 8043 at 8 amps for some crazy 3D hovering action.

IMAG2329.jpg

IMAG2330.jpg

But that's just bench flying so far - hopefully weather and schedule will align and I'll be able to get her up in the air this weekend!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I'm planning on a Tunigy Park250 2350kv and a Power-Up 250 Slowfly 1600kv, both on 2 cell - but I haven't put either of these in the air yet. For a 1:1 or a little hotter power ratio I'm looking at 6x5 or 7x4.3 prop to start testing with.

I'd love to hear from some of the other folks who have run these what power setups and weight to thrust ratios are working for them.

The Italian Job is all ready to go! She's a 150g w/o battery, and 197g with my favorite 800mah 2cell that keeps her balanced out right.

Looking at the prop and thrust options, I should be able to get a 1:1 ratio with a 7035 prop at only 4 amps, or at 1:5 ratio with a 8043 at 8 amps for some crazy 3D hovering action.

View attachment 68168

View attachment 68169

But that's just bench flying so far - hopefully weather and schedule will align and I'll be able to get her up in the air this weekend!

Please report back on how those power setups work. I'd love to add some alternate power setups to the build threads for people to have options.

Did you coat the plane with anything after you finished it?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Please report back on how those power setups work. I'd love to add some alternate power setups to the build threads for people to have options.

Did you coat the plane with anything after you finished it?

Will do on the power setup testing - love to hear from as many people as possible on that too!

I did a full over coat of clear packing tape, which is probably the extra 20-30 grams of weight she's carrying over the bare Baby Baron weight you have listed on the build thread. I'm also tucking in an 800mah battery instead of the recommended 450mah - mostly so I can get her to balance without adding dead weight up front.

I think on my next one I'll just do a WBPU sealer spray to keep the ink from running and maybe a single strip of packing tape on the leading edge of the wing to keep the weight down.

Someday I also need to get away from the hot glue and move to white gorilla or something lighter too.